Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 29, 24, 06:11:44:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2663731 Posts in 298903 Topics by 307 Members
Latest Member: Carmelarom
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: if you were on death row 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 Print
Author Topic: if you were on death row  (Read 1755 times)
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #12 on: 10 10, 16, 10:43:59:PM » Reply

OMG Ken, can that get any more restricting?  We have so many wineries here and our closest winery is 5 minutes away, Silver Falls Winery.  In the Willamette Valley there are so many wineries and on a Sunday a favorite pastime is to take a wine tasting tour from Salem to McMinnville winding up at the Golden Valley Brewery & Pub.  Oregon wine is amongst the best and we have so many breweries here that you lose count.  If wineries cannot ship directly to your State, does that mean a person can't send you a case of wine or beer directly after purchasing it?  Every State has their rules and Oregon is totally Democrat, although I'm hoping for a Republican Governor this year.  The governor we have right now Kate Brown (D) is there by default after Governor Kitzhaber had to resign because of a personal scandal.  Running against Brown is Bud Pierce (R) an oncologist, who saved my husband's life in 2004 and is a man of such integrity.  I digress!

Our favorite brewery has to be Ninkasi Brewery in Eugene.  I purchased a six pack of their "Total Domination" as a joke for my husband and it turned out to be his most favorite beer.  Then I bought him two other 6-packs from Ninkasi, one was "Maiden the Shade" and the other "Easy Way", all great IPA beers.  He couldn't wait to call them up and suggest a slogan for them running the names of the beers together - they said "Brilliant".  They have some other good brews too. The kicker in our State is no sales tax and it is voted down every time it goes on the ballot.  The only extra we pay on a 6 pack is the 5 cent a bottle deposit that's returnable.  We can purchase beer and wine in the markets and other stores, but if you want hard liquor then you have to go to State run liquor stores. Sounds like we may be a couple of lushes but actually we're not and enjoy the occasional glass of wine and the only beer I have is a sip of my husband's to see what the taste is like. 

It's interesting how States differ so much in their individual laws, but then we could always live in Utah and we would really be baffled by their liquor laws.

KensanIV

« Reply #13 on: 10 11, 16, 03:01:56:AM » Reply

I've been to Eugene...it has been years, I still have a "Ducks baseball hat."

The only legal way to bring any sort of spirits into this state is that it would be in your tummy.  However, this is changing... The governor has signed off on the legislation and it is settled law... But, It is probably going to take another year to work out the details.  I guess the Utah Mormons would give Penna some competition for the dumbest liquor laws... Not sure that anyone can outdo our 18th century attitude. 

I think that Washington state has some weird liquor laws too.  We flew out to Settle a few years ago, rented a vehicle, went on a driving vacation in Wash, Idaho, Montana Canada up to Jasper,  Bampf... and Vancouver other parts of Manitoba and British Columbia... millions and millions of trees.  Anyhow, when I bought the bottle of wine, I had to pay a disposal fee of ? don't remember... perhaps 10 or 12 cents.

I have to remember that is the "left coast." We also spent a week on the island there off Seattle once... just near the Straits of San Juan.

I used to make wine, red only but not in years, I was the VP of a wine club.  It stared out as a group who got together to obtain needed wine supplies.  Annually someone in the  group who would drive down to Philly to buy the grapes (from the Mafia) They The Italian Don would bring in a large container of California grapes to sell to winemakers.  And one or two guys would drive down and pick them up.  As well, we would hold classes on how to make better wine... the club grew from that, and now we have a wine store just for members, one can buy corks, carboys, labels, etc.

I was not a charter member... but have been attending a meeting per month at members homes for about 20 years.  Now we have about 60 members... I have hosted many times and am doing it again in November.  A nice bunch of people who mostly now just enjoy wine...Out of 60 members, there may be 8 or 10 who make it... I prefer it already made by a professional from places like California... Trader Joes in Virginia sells the old 2 buck chuck. (Now $4.00) But Chuckie is living on a past reputation.

We generally buy our wine and spirits in Delaware.. Our son has a beach home there if it didn't get blown away with the hurricane Matthew.  No tax of any sort.  A $575,000 home was taxed at less than $650.00  per year... but one you get to be a senior citizen... no more taxes period.  Whomever designed the Delaware tax laws made it favorable to large business is why most every corporate business is a Delaware corporation. 

Anyhow, when and if our bastion of liberalism called Pennsylvania ever leaps into the 19th century, I may order a case or two  of that good red wine.  I could of course order it and have it shipped to our son's home in Delaware, but there is no one there to accept it most of the time.  He still works...the poor lad.
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #14 on: 10 11, 16, 04:48:30:PM » Reply

It certainly is the left coast Ken - all the way up.  If you compare the west to the east it's a choice between an earthquake or potential hurricane and somewhere in the middle States there's tornados. We still have a good quality of life here no matter what.

It's a shame that you are so restricted in Penna when it comes to importing some good wine and beer from other parts of the States.  There are all kinds of restrictions that we are not always aware of.  When traveling down from Oregon into California we are always stopped just over the State line to ask if we have any plants or fruit on us.  Usually if you're in a car you just indicate that you don't and get waved on.  However the first time in the motorhome we were stopped and the Gestapo entered our vehicle and removed an orange and grapefruit from our motorhome fridge.  I was scared that hubby was going to deck him.  We have now learned that somewhere on the road before the State line we should pop our fruit under the pillow in the back bedroom if we haven't eaten it.
KensanIV

« Reply #15 on: 10 11, 16, 05:30:23:PM » Reply

Yeah, I remember about California... *I hitchhiked out there between my sophomore and junior years... And we were stopped for the same purpose... The driver told me he wishes he had some orange peelings or apple parts that he could scatter them on the floor mats and get a free vacuum from the Cal Ag dept.  lol

I know the Oregon and Washington area is great for family and good living.  I went to school with a guy who married and lived in LA with his wife and two female kids.  He quit a good job in LA and moved to Seattle for a better education and better living for the family. He hated the schools and the traffic.  The last I heard (about 1992) he was doing fine and working for Boeing as a buyer for fasteners (aka screws). 

Later.  Ken
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« Reply #16 on: 10 11, 16, 09:32:20:PM » Reply

Oh, if I could have booze again, it would be vodka on the rocks, tumbler straight outta the freezer, with a twist of lemon and lime.  Or tequila and cranberry juice.... But I don't drink anymore...but it wouldn't take much to start, LOL

That is why it's called your demon.  Because it tries every day to sway your good judgement.
luvtimes
Honored Member

« Reply #17 on: 10 12, 16, 06:25:53:AM » Reply

forgot about alcohol....

how could I....

champagne... forget about the food.... couple of bottles of it and it's all over anyway...lol

that's all I would want for my last merry go round in life...

and it could be cheap too....

yeah!
KensanIV

« Reply #18 on: 10 12, 16, 05:45:42:PM » Reply

Iaken, Why can't you drink at all?

Speaking of Jim Beam Black... My wife just left to go shopping...and I hear old Jim calling my name while my wife isn't not counting my drinks.  I had a heart attack in 2006... And she is still the Medical Warden when it comes to checking on my fun things.  I take several pills daily... and it had kept my alive so far. The VA has helped.... I'll be back after I see what Jim wants.
pacifica
Honored Member

springborn1959

« Reply #19 on: 10 12, 16, 06:29:30:PM » Reply

...while my wife isn't not counting my drinks...
...Medical Warden..checking on my fun things.

...I take several pills daily.... I'll be back after I see what Jim wants.
Hope he just wanted to talk, or should say that mr. beam offered a tink.

Goodness I guess if taking med's that would be a factor.

My favorite is a margarita and had a few over this hot summer, yummmy!

I made them at home with clear white tequila and top shelf bone daddy - it's a mixer. : D
KensanIV

« Reply #20 on: 10 12, 16, 10:26:57:PM » Reply

Pac, My heart doctor told me after my surgery. that he wishes that I would take a shot of whiskey or a glass or two of red wine every day. 

I told him the chances were good that I would follow his advice, since I was a VP of a Wine Club.

Ya know, I always believed that if one was good, two should be twice as good. 
pacifica
Honored Member

springborn1959

« Reply #21 on: 10 12, 16, 10:41:16:PM » Reply

Ken - Well you've got Dr.'s orders then! : D Cheers, clink - clink!

I have heard that it's ok - generally - for men to have 2 glasses of red wine per day while women should keep it to one. Generally. And we aren't suppose to cheat with a large tumbler .
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« Reply #22 on: 10 13, 16, 04:36:22:AM » Reply

Ken, I choose to NOT drink at all...

Because I was an alcoholic by the time I was 18, addicted to speed and coke at 20.  I have been clean and sober for over 30 years now.
KensanIV

« Reply #23 on: 10 13, 16, 11:12:29:AM » Reply

Nuff said!  Congratulations for beating that.  Many do not!

Me, I didn't drink at all until I was in the military... One may learn a lot about life and the cross sections of America's youth by putting on the uniform.

I lost my older brother last year.  If there were 10 stages of alcoholism, he was in stage 12. The last 7 or 8 years of his life were spent in drinking or getting ready to drink... He would stay in the bar till closing, and then walk home (he lost his driving privilege years before) pass out get up at noon or so, walk back to the bar. 

He had 3 pension sources, SS or course, retired USAF, as well he was a prison guard in SC for 10 years or so.  With that income, he was an attractive victim for females of various professions and actions.

When he died, it was discovered by his kids that he had signed away his property to some female who befriended him.... They received nothing but grief in attempting to settle the estate.

I do not get  inebriated, but I do enjoy a good *Tennessee/Kentucky sipping bourbon.

* As in Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and George Dickle when I can find them.
Pages: 1 2 3 Print 
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: if you were on death row
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory