Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
06 03, 24, 06:16:13:AM

Login with username and password

Democrats are now realizing the stain 'they' put on America
And are now trying to blame someone else for their Hateful act.

Search:     Advanced search
2673741 Posts in 299796 Topics by 307 Members
Latest Member: LdyRavensClaw
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: rump’s Promise to Deport All Undocumented Immigrants a 1950s Strategy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: rump’s Promise to Deport All Undocumented Immigrants a 1950s Strategy  (Read 69 times)
wvit1001

« on: 05 08, 24, 04:51:56:PM » Reply

It Didn’t Work Then Either

Trump made a promise to voters if he were elected again: “Following the Eisenhower model, we will carry out the largest domestic deportation operation in American history,” he said. Trump, who made a similar pledge during his first presidential campaign, has recently repeated this promise at rallies across the country.

Trump was referring to Operation Wetback, a military-style campaign launched by the Eisenhower administration in the summer of 1954 to end undocumented immigration by deporting hundreds of thousands of Mexicans. “Wetback” was a widely used ethnic slur for Mexicans who illegally crossed the Rio Grande, the river dividing Mexico and the U.S.

Trump says that he can replicate Operation Wetback on a much grander scale by setting up temporary immigration detention centers and relying on local, state and federal authorities, including National Guard troops, to remove the estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants now living in the U.S.

As a migration scholar, I find Trump’s proposal to be both disturbing and misleading. Besides playing to unfounded and dehumanizing fears of an immigrant invasion, it misrepresents the context and impact of Eisenhower’s policy while ignoring the vastly changed landscape of U.S. immigration today.

If he were to win the presidency again, Trump would have the legal authority to deport undocumented immigrants, but the logistical, political and legal obstacles to doing so quickly and massively are even greater today than they were in the 1950s.

First, most undocumented immigrants now live in cities, where immigrant sweeps are more difficult to carry out. The INS learned this lesson when Operation Wetback shifted from the largely rural Southwest to urban areas in the Midwest and Pacific Northwest in September 1954. Despite transferring hundreds of agents to these locations and using similar tactics, INS agents produced far fewer apprehensions as they struggled to find and detain immigrants.

Second, the U.S. undocumented population is much more dispersed and diverse than in the 1950s. Today, Mexicans are no longer in the majority, and nearly half of undocumented immigrants live outside the six major hubs for immigrants—California, Texas, Florida, New York, New Jersey and Illinois.

Third, most undocumented immigrants in the U.S. did not sneak across the border. An estimated 42% entered the country legally but overstayed a visa illegally. Another 17% requested and received a short-term legal status that protects them from immediate deportation.

Finally, mass deportations are likely to spark a more broad-based resistance today than happened in the 1950s. Once staunchly opposed to undocumented immigration, most labor unions and Mexican-American organizations are now in the pro-immigrant camp. Likewise, the Mexican government, which helped with Operation Wetback, is unlikely to allow massive numbers of non-Mexicans to be deported to its territory without the proper documentation.

Trump has not supported a way to provide undocumented immigrants with a legal alternative, which means that migrants will keep finding ways to cross illegally.The Conversation

https://factkeepers.com/trumps-promise-to-deport-all-undocumented-immigrants-is-a-1950s-strategy-it-didnt-work-then-either/
Dan
Contributor

JW2 is a homosexual

« Reply #1 on: 05 08, 24, 04:58:44:PM » Reply

Why do you think it didn't work?  It did work.  It can work again.  It's certainly better than what we have now.
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #2 on: 05 08, 24, 05:44:36:PM » Reply

Likewise, the Mexican government, which helped with Operation Wetback, is unlikely to allow massive numbers of non-Mexicans to be deported to its territory without the proper documentation.

I can certainly understand that.  Too bad Brandon doesn't.
Truman62

MAGA Policies bring Misery and Death to America!

« Reply #3 on: 05 08, 24, 10:18:52:PM » Reply

Dan, why do you think we need to crack down on people who are trying to work to survive?
And do NOTHING about the employers who are taking advantage of them to save money at their jobs?

One is doing it to survive, the other is doing it for greed.

Why don't we support employer stings to crack down on BAD employers?
Trump did away with employer stings that Obama used to do.
No idea what Biden is doing...
Jw2

DJB is a closet homo

« Reply #4 on: 05 10, 24, 05:28:51:AM » Reply

Why do you think it didn't work?

Deporting 11 million people, would be costly to taxpayers and the economy those productive people support.  That's why.
WWV10MHZ
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

LIBERALISM - Spawned by SATAN!

« Reply #5 on: 05 10, 24, 11:53:24:AM » Reply

seahooker

« Reply #6 on: 05 10, 24, 11:57:05:AM » Reply

Dan, why do you think we need to crack down on people who are trying to work to survive?
And do NOTHING about the employers who are taking advantage of them to save money at their jobs?

You are correct 62

The biggest employer in the USA is the Federal Government and all they want is to take advantage of the worker by putting them in government's debt so they have to vote for them!
sine-qua-non
ACCOLADES

Try Jesus, if you no like, Satan will take U back

« Reply #7 on: 05 10, 24, 12:09:04:PM » Reply

Operation Wetback deported illegals to their own countries not just to Mexico but Mexico let them in and leave to the USA

so they should bear some of the blame and cost not just the Americans taxpayers!
Dan
Contributor

JW2 is a homosexual

« Reply #8 on: 05 10, 24, 12:53:06:PM » Reply

Dan, why do you think we need to crack down on people who break the law?
[/HIGHLIGHT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Because I believe in justice and the rule of law.

who are trying to work to survive?

Irrelevant.

And do NOTHING about the employers

I don’t think they should get a fee pass either.  But Biden is giving them work permits.

Why don't we support employer stings to crack down on BAD employers?

I do.  But Biden gave them a free pass.

No idea what Biden is doing.

He’s giving the illegals work permits.
Dan
Contributor

JW2 is a homosexual

« Reply #9 on: 05 10, 24, 12:56:46:PM » Reply

Deporting 11 million people, would be costly to taxpayers

It costs far more to keep them here, as they are a drain on our social services.

and the economy those productive people support.  That's why.

Then why is mayor Adams complaining about the burden on New York taxpayers?  If illegals were such a positive influence, why isn’t he asking Governor Abbott to send more, please?
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: rump’s Promise to Deport All Undocumented Immigrants a 1950s Strategy
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory