Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 29, 24, 07:53:29:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653664 Posts in 297946 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: Washing Machine 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Washing Machine  (Read 408 times)
Ladyelaine

« on: 07 06, 22, 04:28:47:PM » Reply

My 42 year old Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) washer motor died a smoking hot death couple days ago. In all those 42 years it never needed a service call or repair part. Now I can't get the parts needed to fix it and must buy a new one.

I've been looking for an old fashioned top load model with agitator instead of impeller, knobs that I can use to control water level depth, choices of temps for wash and rinse inputs, speed of wash, rinse, & spin, no requirement for using special detergents or washer cleaners, and balances the load instead of hopping across the floor,  all features my old large tub heavy duty one had. My old one held king sized blankets easily. I want to control the machine instead of it being programmed to over ride my preferences. I don't want a smart touch screen either.  Most all brands now have only a 1 year warranty instead of the old 5 year ones. I've found only one brand not made in China, doesn't have the simple features I want, smaller capacity, and lowest price model is on sale today only for $1,299 plus taxes, plus delivery, plus $40 haul off old one fee, plus requiring me to buy new water input & drain hoses or they won't sell it to me. I just replaced the hoses on my old machine 2 months ago.  At this point if I could find a new wringer washer I'd buy that. For now I'll just wash all my laundry by hand in a bucket and wring it out by hand, glad I still have my 50 year old scrub board.
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« Reply #1 on: 07 07, 22, 03:50:22:AM » Reply

Yikes!  That's a lot of miles out of a machine, but you know, they don't even build the Kenmores like they used to.

I have a Kenmore out in my shop, waiting for someone to claim it.  It was new in 2014, but I replaced the side by side top loader and dryer for a stackable set (Maytag).  Unfortunately, shipment to you would probably end up being as expensive as buying new...because shipping costs are outrageous as well.

I would suggest Lowes...even if you have to wait a while for delivery, they are fairly reasonable in pricing...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-3-5-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Top-Load-Washer-White-While-Supplies-Last/1000064061?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-app-_-ggl-_-LIA_APP_174_Laundry-_-1000064061-_-local-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286890&gclid=CjwKCAjwiJqWBhBdEiwAtESPaDBzezIgdZUM257u_btd9ntV3ZoGqQ-hkS_0_2wLA_290LIWGons0RoC138QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« Reply #2 on: 07 07, 22, 04:14:52:AM » Reply

https://www.designerappliances.com/blog/best-agitator-top-load-washers/

It's nice to know that they still have them with knob controls rather than all electronic too...
Ladyelaine

« Reply #3 on: 07 07, 22, 02:21:33:PM » Reply

Thank you for those web sites. Lowes prices are in line with or lower than other dealers in my area. I have reviewed customer complaints about multiple problems with different brands and those complaints make a Speed Queen purchase enticing even considering they cost twice as much as other brands, but they do have 5 or 7 year warranties. It also appears they are still manufactured in Wisconsin, USA.

Shipping costs from your place to mine would be exorbitant; otherwise, I'd be knocking on your door for sure.
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #4 on: 07 07, 22, 05:01:15:PM » Reply

I bought this one late 2014. I have had zero repairs on it...hoping if it dies they still have this kind.

* IMG_9079.JPG (253.58 KB, 1500x1125 - viewed 40 times.)

* IMG_9080.JPG (191.38 KB, 1500x1125 - viewed 38 times.)
Ladyelaine

« Reply #5 on: 07 07, 22, 06:14:13:PM » Reply

That looks like a heavy duty machine Sunshine, wondering what brand it is. I see Cons Rpts June 22 issue has 40 rated models of top-load agitator washers and other than a S Q model, only two, the 35th & 39th lowest rated have a 4 out of 5 for predicted reliability. Rated by water & energy performance & efficiency features, out of the top 10 only the 8th & 10th are rated as high as a 3 out of 5. The other 8 have no expected reliability rating at all.

I'm guessing there are a whole lot of unhappy purchasers of washers in the last few years.
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #6 on: 07 10, 22, 06:13:44:PM » Reply

It's a GE. Going on 8 years without a single repair.
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #7 on: 07 10, 22, 06:16:22:PM » Reply

I did not see mine at Lowe's today but they have these. Very similar to mine.

* Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 6.15.34 PM.png (888.54 KB, 2826x1652 - viewed 41 times.)
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #8 on: 07 12, 22, 09:01:02:PM » Reply

I got my top load washer and dryer by Whirlpool at Lowes and it was reasonably priced back in 2014 and still doing a great job.  I have a local repair fellow who is quite a character called Mr. Fixet.  He just came to repair my oven that went out with a bang on the 4th July!  He always said on the other times he came to fix stuff "don't purchase the new appliances of today.  The older ones were made better, so get them fixed".  Of course that would be good for his business but he does have a point.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: Washing Machine
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory