Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 24, 24, 04:57:59:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2662345 Posts in 298769 Topics by 307 Members
Latest Member: northern pharmacy canada
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Easy Street is best to remain nothing more than a dream 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Easy Street is best to remain nothing more than a dream  (Read 16 times)
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« on: 09 22, 21, 06:15:56:PM » Reply

Commentary

We all have probably imagined a life of ease at some time in our lives. The dream or notion of arriving at the proverbial “Easy Street” has been a recurring theme in America for generations.

The Democratic Party seems to want to make that dream a reality for all Americans with its plans for government to ensure that all Americans have cradle-to-grave security (e.g., their proposed $3.5 trillion expanded “safety net” bill).
Have you ever envied the rich kid who never had to work because his folks gave him all the money he needed to have a comfortable lifestyle? One example: He was a contemporary of mine. His father, whom I got to know as well as the son, was a senior executive for a major corporation. The son never found work that excited or challenged him, so he coasted through life indulging in various creature comforts that his dad always paid for. The last time I saw the son, we were in our 40s. He looked terrible and passed away a few years later of no apparent physical cause.

He seemed to be an example of what Calhoun—the man who conducted those mice experiments—wrote: “Herein is the paradox of a life without work or conflict. When all sense of necessity is stripped from the life of an individual, life ceases to have purpose. The individual dies in spirit.”

I realize how fortunate I have been that I have always had to work for a living.

Just as the lack of challenge seemed to have lethal consequences at the micro/individual level, so it may be destructive at the macro/societal level, too. Consider the lifecycle of civilizations often attributed to Alexander Tytler (1748–1813):

From Bondage to Spiritual Faith,
From Spiritual Faith to Great Courage,
From Courage to Liberty,
From Liberty to Abundance,
From Abundance to Selfishness,
From Selfishness to Complacency,
From Complacency to Apathy,
From Apathy to Dependency,
From Dependency back into Bondage.

Is it possible that the great affluence of our era has put us on the path to complacency, apathy, dependency, and bondage? Like the mice that quit procreating, dozens of countries are now experiencing falling birth rates that will result in their populations shrinking in coming decades. Believing that modern welfare states will take care of them in retirement, there appears to be less of an economic imperative to have children. But what if societies don’t produce enough children overall to fund the vast welfare states on which people are becoming increasingly dependent? Oops. Short-term convenience can lead to long-term disaster (a point to remember in regard to our ever-swelling national debt).

We need to ask what the implications are of the Democrats’ proposed $3.5 trillion expansion of the welfare state. It would make millions more Americans dependent on government (and perhaps specifically on the Democratic Party), while strengthening the belief that Americans no longer have to exert themselves or strive to acquire what they want. This could produce a demographic swath of weaklings. The lessons from Calhoun’s mice experiments and Tytler’s cycle of civilization suggest that these ostensibly helpful government programs may actually end up killing Americans with false kindness and toxic compassion.

Indeed, there are worrisome signs around us. I’m haunted by a mundane memory from 15 to 20 years ago. Friends I was visiting took me to an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. I was struck by the vivid contrast between the young, fit, well-groomed, well-dressed Chinese servers in the restaurant and the overwhelmingly older, obese, slovenly Americans wearing ragged t-shirts and flip-flops and packing in astounding amounts of food. It seemed to me that these pitiful, sleepwalking folks were eating themselves into an early grave, while the young Chinese were on their way to a bright future.

The bottom line is that people need challenges in their lives, not a life on Easy Street. Human beings are happier and achieve more when they have to work hard to attain a difficult goal. Unlike my tragic contemporary who withered on the vine on Easy Street and died prematurely, people who work themselves up from an impoverished childhood to financial success are proud and feel fulfilled. Others, feeling that their material needs are being met without any particular challenge to them, seek out new challenges—marathon events, mountain climbing, innovative ways to help others, etc.—and so enrich their lives by accomplishing what most people would consider “too hard for me.”

I’m not trying to be moralistic when I say that it looks like life has gotten too easy for too many Americans. I do believe, though, that affluence poses its own special set of dangers, and that a big-spending, paternalistic government that attempts to take care of tens of millions of Americans as if they were helpless children is exacerbating that danger.

Congress should take a hiatus from trillion-dollar spending binges in futile attempts to make life easy for people. We can’t afford it economically and politically, and we can’t afford it psychologically and spiritually. Let’s not allow Big Government to kill us with cruel “kindness.”

https://www.theepochtimes.com/paternalistic-government-killing-us-with-kindness_4010588.html
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Easy Street is best to remain nothing more than a dream
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory