Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 29, 24, 10:44:50:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653719 Posts in 297947 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: All Worth It 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: All Worth It  (Read 410 times)
stretch351c
Contributor

That which does not kill me, had better run

« on: 05 23, 21, 06:26:16:PM » Reply

My wife and I love to go to Renaissance Festivals. She got me into it 4 years ago. We both have fairly elaborate garb. It can take up to an hour just to get the basic stuff on, then another 20 minutes to finish up with belts that hold our "weapons", unsharpened blades tied to the sheath by zip ties, or "peace bonded", etc. Yesterday we went to one in Council Bluffs Ia. As we were finishing up at the venue, a family came by and a young man, obviously autistic approached us. His parents told him no, but we both told him to go ahead and check out our garb. we wear coyote pelts to stay warm, he stroked one and clearly said "soft". His parents said that he was normally non verbal. He tried to draw one of the swords, but once he realized he couldn't, he replaced it back in the sheath. He left with a huge grin on his face, and his parents thanked us. That made it all worth it.
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« Reply #1 on: 05 23, 21, 09:00:30:PM » Reply

Very cool.  My younger son has been doing Cosplay since he was about 13 and his roommate has been doing Steampunk (my personal favorite) for about 10 years.  I have some pics from my older son and his wife's only opportunity to attend a Renaissance fair and they loved the elaborate costuming. 

There is a young man near us who has become a world renowned toy car photographer, at only age 12-13...and he is autistic.  He has published a book of his art, offers annual calendars and was gifted his own classic car by a group of older car enthusiasts...autistic children have incredibly complex minds, and often their verbalization is stunted solely by their fascination.  Their brains take in every sight, smell, sound, and touch at the same time and it's like an overload.  I learned more about autism through watching Anthony Ryan Schmidt and his art, and first learned about Asperger's when I was a PTA parent and reading mentor for my son's gifted classes.  These kids are highly capable, and they need the opportunity to experience everything on their own terms. 

You made someone's day and that probably means the world to them and their parents...and obviously, it gave you definite sense of satisfaction.  Thank you for sharing.
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #2 on: 05 24, 21, 12:26:49:AM » Reply

Used to love the Renaissance Fairs in California when we lived there.  There was one in the canyon on the way to the beach in Malibu and the kids would.dress up for it each year and have a good time.
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #3 on: 05 24, 21, 05:53:57:AM » Reply

Really cool, stretch. :-)
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: All Worth It
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory