Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 29, 24, 07:17:06:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653664 Posts in 297946 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Stimulus and taxes ! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Stimulus and taxes !  (Read 176 times)
garfield51
Honored Member

« on: 10 04, 10, 02:06:02:PM » Reply

WASHINGTON (AP) — During the worst of the economic crisis, the nation's most powerful business lobby pleaded with Congress to prop up financial institutions and stimulate the economy with hundreds of billions of dollars in borrowed money.
"Make no mistake: When the aftermath of congressional inaction becomes clear, Americans will not tolerate those who stood by and let the calamity happen," wrote Bruce Josten, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's vice president in September 2008, who at the time pressed lawmakers before their vote on a $700 billion bailout for Wall Street.
A few months later, Congress faced a similar reckoning — whether to pass an $814 billion economic stimulus package consisting of about one-third tax breaks and two-thirds additional government spending. Again, Josten wrote to lawmakers: "The global economy is in uncharted and dangerous waters and inaction from Washington is not an option."
———
EDITOR'S NOTE — An occasional look behind the rhetoric of political campaigns.
———
Fast forward to the present. The chamber is now spending millions of dollars on ads trying to elect candidates whose campaigns are based on opposing the very bank rescue and stimulus law it once supported.
Lawmakers who voted with the chamber on the two crisis-era measures are now getting the back of its hand: Sen. Barbara Boxer in California, and Reps. Joe Sestak in Pennsylvania, Paul Hodes in New Hampshire and Brad Ellsworth in Indiana.
"What they want is one of their own," said Sestak, now running for the Senate against former Rep. Pat Toomey, who denounced bank rescue and the economic stimulus as ill-advised government interventions. "So back when we were salvaging the nation, that was then."
The chamber's strategy underscores an all-or-nothing approach to lobbying, where partial support of their agenda is not sufficient and where recent clashes trump past agreements.
Since the bank bailout and stimulus program, the four Democrats have taken stances contrary to what the business lobby wanted. They voted for President Barack Obama's health care initiative and a consumer financial protection bureau. They supported reducing greenhouse gases and backed bills to make organizations like the chamber disclose donors who help pay for political ads.
Truman62

MAGA Policies bring Misery and Death to America!

« Reply #1 on: 10 04, 10, 02:10:47:PM » Reply

If they could go back and spend a week in the apocalyptic world that a non-baliout would have made,...
Dardmex

« Reply #2 on: 10 04, 10, 02:54:47:PM » Reply

davik62 --- I think it's safe to say that you will agree with me when I say that raising taxes on the rich would go a long ways towards fixing things!

And it wouldn't hurt to pass another stimulus bill.  I'd say another $500-billion would lead to a lot of job-creation, and I'm talking about good, union-jobs.  High-paying green jobs!  That's what the American people need, whether they think they want it or not!

http://www.dailykos.com    http://www.MoveOn.org
Baretta19

« Reply #3 on: 10 04, 10, 03:08:36:PM » Reply

You folks really should pull your head out of your party's ass ans skip going to Goose Steppers school for a few days,

NOBODY denied the bank bailouts, Although not happy it needed to be done, we could not let the financial instituions crumble.

You will find a mixture in the republican world of some who supported the bailouts to companies, you'll find more who did not support it and felt that letting capitolism work would have revealed stronger companies, those that could and did survive this.

You ASSHOLES haven't got a clue and show daily what VERY LIMITED INTELLIGENCE YOU HAVE, you need to stay out of the realm of economics since the majority of you losers are nothing more than gimmie jimmies who don't work anyway and your only concern is where your next handout is coming from
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Stimulus and taxes !
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory