Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 04:43:17:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653523 Posts in 297930 Topics by 308 Members
Latest Member: JerryEcold
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: What are you reading? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2  Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 804 times)
dondc

« Reply #12 on: 05 31, 20, 01:34:07:AM » Reply

The book mention earlier, "the Book Thief" was also written by an Aussie.

I'd like to see more of the UK, for such a small place there is a lot of variety, but most from out of train and bus windows. 
I spent a month there once and a couple on the Continent.  Only place I had a language problem was in England and Scotland.
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #13 on: 05 31, 20, 11:14:36:PM » Reply

Don, I had a problem when I went to Cardiff in Wales, not to mention a trip to Cornwall (home of Doc Martin).  So many different accents in such a small country.  My family call me a "Yankee" and I really think I've lost my accent until some stranger asks me "what part of England are you from?"  My husband had an argument with some fellow that he wasn't from Australia and the guy kept insisting he was, lol.

I finished the book and it was unlike any other I had read.  The characters in the fictional novel were also well researched and based on true people of that time (like Samuel Pepys, the Duke of Buckingham, etc.) and woven into the thread.  I have also never seen an author go into such detail after the final chapter, writing another whole long chapter on her research and travels to make her novel authentic, also giving a call out to many other authors, one of whom was Geraldine Brooks who you mentioned. 
dondc

« Reply #14 on: 06 05, 20, 02:04:28:AM » Reply

I have a niece who parents were French, but immigrated to the USA.  They ran a Biarritz Language school.  He was from Paris, but she was born in Tunisia and her parents were Spanish and French.  Anyway they raised my niece bilingual.  When they traveled to France people always settled on, "you're not from around here," When she spoke to them."  The French pride themselves on recognizing where your are from by you way you speak.
She grew up in Philadelphia. 

I'm a very big Doc Martin fan.  Sad thing, with my hearing, I have to use CC and what i do actually hear doesn't sound accented. 
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #15 on: 06 07, 20, 01:53:36:PM » Reply

My cousin who was a little bridesmaid at my wedding, lives in the next town on the coast to where Doc Martin is filmed - Port Isaac, Cornwall. 

Good news, Don, Doc Martin is being filmed for a 10th Season and was supposed to start in April.  I'm wondering if it will be delayed because of the virus, but they definitely have plans to make another season.
dondc

« Reply #16 on: 06 11, 20, 01:05:28:AM » Reply

Thanks!  That is good news. 
I really enjoy the setting and charters in that show..
I have to assume that the virus has had an affect on everything. 
Pages: 1 2  Print 
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: What are you reading?
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory