Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 10:58:47:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653431 Posts in 297920 Topics by 308 Members
Latest Member: JerryEcold
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: Face mask sewing... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Face mask sewing...  (Read 392 times)
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« on: 04 25, 20, 08:14:28:PM » Reply

Since we're required to wear them at work, and the paper ones fall apart too quickly, I too, have jumped on the face mask bandwagon...

I've got 4 done so far...the first was more of a tryout and since I didn't have the right elastic and the pattern only called for 2 pleats, I ended up modifying it, making my own ties, and adding a nose piece...the others are going much better, by adding another pleat and a piece of pipe cleaner for the nose piece, but since elastic is as rare as hen's teeth right now, I'm taking apart hair scrunchies, LOL.

emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #1 on: 04 25, 20, 08:18:06:PM » Reply

If you put a strip of slightly damp paper towel in the outside pocket when wearing the mask it will help you breathe easier.  As I have asthma I can testify that this works.

Hubby and I look like a couple of bandits when we do the once a week grocery shopping.
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #2 on: 04 27, 20, 11:39:11:AM » Reply

Mine have been without a pocket.  We're just required to have a "face covering."...
These are 2 layers thick, and that's even thicker than the little paper ones they have at work. 
dondc

« Reply #3 on: 04 27, 20, 10:50:36:PM » Reply

Look better than some I've seen people wearing.
I would think working at Boeing would require some kind of breath protection under normal condition. 
I notice that boat builders in anacortes wore some elaborate protection from, resin fumes and fiberglass, carbon fiber particles and paint spray..
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #4 on: 04 28, 20, 07:11:29:AM » Reply

I need to make some. Those Look really good, taken.
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #5 on: 04 28, 20, 12:35:57:PM » Reply

My poor old machine is getting a workout.  It's just a step above an old fashioned treadle machine.  LOL  At least it's easy to use. 
I made some toddler ones for the grandbabies...sewing tiny stuff is much harder, LOL...I'll get enough done by the weekend to send to my son and his family, and also some for my other son and his roommate. 

I need to have enough for hubby and I to have a fresh one each day at work.  Until this crap is over, we're being required to wear them and the paper ones at work last for about 3 seconds at best.

sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #6 on: 05 03, 20, 06:25:15:AM » Reply

You inspired me to buy a piece of material...sat on counter for a few days now. :-). Need a pattern now or could figure it out with a piece of paper...but I am on the way to making one. :-)
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #7 on: 05 05, 20, 04:13:53:AM » Reply

I used this tutorial on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inJQexwK8Yg[/COLOR]]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inJQexwK8Yg

There are so many, but this one was really easy to follow.  The masks I make do not have the filter pocket, but there are many tutorials that do.

the pattern is just a rectangle 9" x 7" and I use 2 pieces of 1/8 or 1/4 elastic 7" long.

this tutorial is for the easy pleats, and yes, I used bobby pins to hold it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvi5rED7AOo[/FONT]]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvi5rED7AOo

Doing the nose piece was just a pipe cleaner, cut in half, and folding the ends inward to prevent the sharp end from poking through.

I just zigzagged it on, then after turning, I did the same finish stitching that the first tutorial suggests. In the end, mine are triple stitched, being careful as you go above and below the nose piece so you don't break a needle.

* nose piece.jpg (833.08 KB, 2651x1988 - viewed 28 times.)
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #8 on: 05 05, 20, 03:29:49:PM » Reply

I have not made it yet..... lol ...... But I will. I need some wire, I suppose my plant wire would work.
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #9 on: 05 05, 20, 07:03:09:PM » Reply

Our small rural city had a face mask project and many volunteered to make them.  Then they came door to door handing them out and every resident got one.  It was a wonderful project and actually made the news.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: Face mask sewing...
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory