Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 19, 24, 06:18:33:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2660562 Posts in 298600 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Moved Hot Topics  |  Topic: (non-political) Flu Shots 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: (non-political) Flu Shots  (Read 8182 times)
Jim
When someone claims to have an Open Mind they are soon shocked, dismayed, and offended that there actually are other views.
Contributor

What would they do without Anecdotals or Snark

« Reply #12 on: 10 22, 19, 03:01:19:AM » Reply

One word of advice:  If you believe you will get sick - You will.  If you believe you will get the sickness from Hell that will take forever to go away - You WILL.

Stop getting yourself sick.  People who talk themselves into getting sick by believing they will get sick yet they also tell themselves they can't afford to stay sick (for whatever reason) are sick the least length of time.  Many times for just one day.   Its up to you to get sick - and for how long.

If you feel a sickness coming on then take a low dose of Zinc. Zinc kicks your immune system into gear.   Do this right away and you won't get sick.

However, the Zinc may make your stomach feel queasy if you're not used to taking Zinc.  But it goes away.

sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #13 on: 10 22, 19, 06:45:39:AM » Reply

I get mine ( for 5 years now) even though the only time I got the flu was in 1991 when working with small children.  I rarely get sick with anything.
wmdn_bs
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own."

Bob

« Reply #14 on: 10 22, 19, 09:00:46:AM » Reply

I would get one if I could. I think it's irresponsible not to. Having had Guillain Barre, I've been advised to not get any live virus vaccine.
zsq987
TRUMP = GREAT President; SOBama/Biden = WORST Presidents

Libs are Racists/Bigots against all White People.

« Reply #15 on: 10 22, 19, 01:23:04:PM » Reply

I knew a guy who got G-B and I hadn't seen him in over a year.

OMG!!!  He was like a skeleton!!!  He walked like every joint in his body ached!! Never saw him again after that.

I hope you recovered OK and completely.
Jw2

DJB is a closet homo

« Reply #16 on: 10 22, 19, 01:42:40:PM » Reply

LA County reports first flu death of the season

https://abc7.com/health/la-county-reports-first-flu-death-of-the-season/5635994/

Los Angeles County health officials confirmed Monday the county's first flu-related death of the 2019-20 flu season.

The patient was a middle-aged person with underlying health conditions, according to the county Department of Public Health. During the 2018-19 flu season, there were 125 flu-related deaths in the County.

"This is a sad reminder that the flu can be a serious illness, especially for the elderly, young children and people with weakened immune systems," said Muntu Davis, MD, MPH, Los Angeles County Health Officer. "I would like to remind everyone that even if you're healthy, you can still get seriously sick from the flu and spread the illness to others. Immunization is the best method to protect yourself and reduce the likelihood of spreading the flu to others in your community."

County health officials and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend flu immunization for everyone older than 6 months.

Symptoms of the flu include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, muscle or body aches, headaches and fatigue, according to health officials. Pneumonia is the most common complication of the flu.
wmdn_bs

Bob

« Reply #17 on: 10 22, 19, 02:44:34:PM » Reply

I knew a guy who got G-B and I hadn't seen him in over a year.

OMG!!!  He was like a skeleton!!!  He walked like every joint in his body ached!! Never saw him again after that.

I hope you recovered OK and completely.

I contracted it about nine years ago. I am at about 50% of my previous strength. Im told I won't get better than that. To top it off, I broke a hip moving a log about 9 weeks ago. I'm off the cane for the most part, but still pretty sore by the end of the day.

I'm a tough old bastard though. I have been out deer hunting, and taking care of my wife who had a severe stroke a year and a half ago, all the while maintaining a full time job.
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #18 on: 10 22, 19, 05:13:10:PM » Reply

I got mine last week.  I do it mainly so I won't feel guilty if I get the flu, infect someone else and didn't do everything I could to avoid it.  I do it especially for my husband who has been fighting the big C on and off since 2004.
wmdn_bs

Bob

« Reply #19 on: 10 23, 19, 04:08:35:AM » Reply

I am sorry to hear about your husband's health issues Emily. I wish him and you all the best.
Jw2

DJB is a closet homo

« Reply #20 on: 10 23, 19, 10:22:39:AM » Reply

Welcome to flu season. Here’s your best shot at staying healthy 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/welcome-to-flu-season-heres-your-best-shot-at-staying-healthy

Get your flu vaccine

The best way to dodge a full-blown case of influenza is to roll up a sleeve and get vaccinated, said William Schaffner, a professor who specializes in infectious disease, preventative medicine and immunization policy at Vanderbilt University’s School of Medicine.

The influenza vaccine, which combines four different inactive flu strains, “provides complete protection to some people and partial protection to others,” he said. There are a few reasons why you may get sick with flu-like symptoms even after being stabbed in the arm. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, you may still contract the common cold, or you may have been exposed to the flu before getting vaccinated or during the two weeks afterward when your body is still building up immunity.

Anyone 6 months or older can get the flu shot (some kids up until age 8 need two doses, according to federal guidelines), and the vaccine should be administered in October, to get maximum protection as the season begins. That said, it is never too late in the season to get the flu vaccine. If you are needle-averse, you can ask your health care provider about receiving the vaccine through a nasal spray.

If you get the shot, you may develop a low fever or tenderness at the injection site, but that’s generally better than the alternative, Schaffner said. People who are diabetic, have a compromised immune system, are older or are pregnant — “people with underlying health conditions of any kind,” according to Schaffner — should get vaccinated.

Wash your hands. A lot.

If you’re more of a tailgate person, then you’ll understand that the best offense against the flu is a strong defense.. Scrub those hands with soap and warm water long enough to sing the “Happy Birthday” song twice. A quick rinse does not suffice.

Avoid people who are coughing and sneezing

While tricky to practice in real life, try to be more situationally aware of people showing signs of sickness, Schaffer said. During flu season, there’s no shame in giving a friendly wave instead of a high-five. It may help reduce the chances that you (or your little party animal) end up feverish, achy and ill. If exposure is unavoidable, be a stickler about good hygiene.
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #21 on: 10 23, 19, 11:12:52:AM » Reply

Thank you wmd, it's been a long road of hopes and disappointments. 
JW good advice but hard to avoid when you're in line at the market and the checker is coughing up a storm. 
Maybe we should carry masks when we have to go out in the flu season.
wmdn_bs

Bob

« Reply #22 on: 10 23, 19, 12:05:27:PM » Reply

When I travel overseas, particularly in Asia it is common to see people wearing masks in public.
LadyRavensWing

« Reply #23 on: 10 23, 19, 05:55:57:PM » Reply

Yes! Both of us have had the flu and pneumonia shots.

We good!

*Ldy R.*
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 12 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Moved Hot Topics  |  Topic: (non-political) Flu Shots
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA