Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 08:26:25:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653603 Posts in 297942 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Trump’s idea to send immigrants to sanctuary cities makes no sense 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Trump’s idea to send immigrants to sanctuary cities makes no sense  (Read 55 times)
wvit1001

« on: 04 15, 19, 08:20:04:PM » Reply

trump confuses political stuff with actual policy.

Trump’s rhetoric about undocumented immigrants and asylum seekers has not just been about how they are taking advantage of lax American laws or that they are in the country illegally but that they are also dangerous. He has decried them as gang members, “animals” and even terrorists. He has said Mexico and Central American countries are sending their dregs northward. “They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists,” Trump said in his 2015 presidential announcement speech, “and some, I assume, are good people.”

The first major issue with this is that, regardless of where these people are sent, they can go wherever they want after that. The Post’s Nick Miroff and Tim Meko this weekend showed us where people tend to go once they cross the border, and it’s to nearly every corner of the country. If people have the means and wherewithal to get from the border to Crookston, Minn., what’s to stop them from, after they get sent to San Francisco, simply resuming their plans to go wherever they initially intended to go?

Supporters of this policy would argue that they might just stay in the sanctuary city because it is welcoming, but there are reasons people make long treks to places like Crookston rather than heading straight for sanctuary cities. They may have family in the area. They may know there is work waiting for them. And being diverted initially upon entry isn’t likely to deter many of them from reaching wherever it is they hope their final destination will be.

The second issue is that this does nothing to address the allegedly huge problems Trump brought up. There is no evidence that these immigrants or asylum seekers are responsible for more crime than American citizens, and Trump’s own administration has said there is no evidence of terrorist groups accessing the United States via the Southern border.

And finally, there is the incentive that this would create. Trump has rather clearly embraced things like family separation as a deterrent — in hopes that it would send a message to other would-be border-crossers that they would rather not deal with all that crossing the border entails. This policy would create the opposite incentive. It would tell people who cross the border illegally or seek asylum that they would get a one-way ticket to what are mostly major American cities. That seems a much more attractive prospect than simply being detained.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/04/15/why-trumps-idea-send-immigrants-sanctuary-cities-makes-no-sense/?noredirect=on&utm_source=reddit.com&utm_term=.13b1f7551bc8
wvit1001

« Reply #1 on: 04 15, 19, 08:21:14:PM » Reply

All of which is to say this likely isn’t actually a serious policy consideration by Trump. He likes to stir the pot. He wants to put sanctuary cities and those who support them in the position of saying, “No, we can’t take these people,” and have these people look like hypocrites to Trump’s base. I’m not sure it’s had the desired effect, apart from the odd reaction from people like Cher.
dont-blameme
Contributor

« Reply #2 on: 04 15, 19, 08:23:19:PM » Reply

Why not send them to califorcation and new York city. sanfranqueerco, should get the majority.
wvit1001

« Reply #3 on: 04 15, 19, 08:25:45:PM » Reply

they'd probably like that blammie.   Has anyone besides Cher said the wouldn't be welcomed?   I mean trump's saying they were arrested and then released so they aren't illegals anymore are they?  They would be legally in this country.
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #4 on: 04 15, 19, 08:30:22:PM » Reply

It makes a ton of sense.  There are no more detention beds for them and the sanctuary cities will welcome them.
wvit1001

« Reply #5 on: 04 15, 19, 08:35:17:PM » Reply

why wouldn't they welcome them?   trump's immigration people are going to allow their release aren't they?   They wouldn't release people as legal immigrants that they knew were problems would they?
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #6 on: 04 15, 19, 08:39:21:PM » Reply

They will welcome them.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Trump’s idea to send immigrants to sanctuary cities makes no sense
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory