Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 06:20:32:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653546 Posts in 297935 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: What do you think best explains the increased obesity rates in USA? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: What do you think best explains the increased obesity rates in USA?  (Read 1684 times)
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #24 on: 02 06, 19, 01:41:35:PM » Reply

My kid was in karate from age 6 to 18. He had a 6 pack at 11 years old.
seahooker

« Reply #25 on: 02 06, 19, 01:54:33:PM » Reply

Sunshine, so were my one son and one daughter, they both advanced to third degree black belts. They are both successful. I believe the self confidence they gained from heir classes added them in their adult endeavors. My oldest daughter who lived with my ex. did very well without the karate classes. Her mom was just as tough!
Oscar_LaVista

I need more cowbell! And walls!

« Reply #26 on: 02 06, 19, 02:05:35:PM » Reply

quote author=takncarabizniz link=topic=273532.msg2325714#msg2325714 date=1549476051]
School cafeterias are not the problem.  It's what they do and eat before and after school.

If I may deliver an old fart rant... In my day, fat kids were somewhat rare, and so were helicopter parents.  We walked almost everywhere we went... to school, to town to spend our 25 cent allowance, etc.  We played in the woods a mile from home.

I agree.  School lunches play a small part. If you feed kids what they will eat, then there is no problem. But taking recess, and gym class away is. (pretty goofy logic, there.  we should not coddle kids when it comes to making them take PE or gym or walking around and being outside more, but we should allow them to eat only what they want!!  screw communist michelle obama for wanting to replace cokes with juice, fast food burgers and fries and pizza with more home grown vegetables and fruits and meat without so much damn sodium and preservatives!!  my kid was becoming lethargic because he could not have a coke instead of juice or a pizza instead of a fresh home cooked type meal with fresh meat and vegetables and fruit!! MY POOR BABY!! HE MUST GET TO EAT ONLY WHAT HE WANTS!! WAH-WAH!!!)
Requiring parents to drive kids to school, or bus them, does play a huge part. (we lived 1/2 block from the "bus line", which meant we weren't eligible to ride), so we walked to school every day.

We couldn't afford cars to drive in high school, so we walked everywhere. We all had paper routes, lawn mowing jobs, shoveled snow. (bullshit, not every kid in every neighborhood can have a paper route!!  or get all the lawn mowing jobs or shovel snow for dough...are you on drugs?) We played outside after we did our chores, we weren't allowed to watch tv except on Saturday mornings after we cleaned our rooms and did chores, or after dark in the winter when dishes and dinner were done(damn no wonder you kind of went crazy once you got out of that house!! it was like being in jail!!)...but because our dad chose what we could watch, we usually went to our rooms to play games. Board games.

It's a fact that parenting "advice" has taken over and created a soft society. (says the one who believes making kids in school not suck up cokes and fast food like they want is cruel and unusual!!) It's also a fact that initiatives like "it takes a village" and "healthy eating" were nothing more than opportunities to over-regulate and suck more money out of the coffers creating jobs that did little to nothing.(are you insane?  how did giving kids juice instead of cokes and real food instead of fast food and pizza somehow create jobs and was over-regulation if you also believe we should force kids to exercise at school for their own good even if parents don't like it, or they don't like it?  how can you believe one but not the other except you are such a goddamn biased clown against the obamas and against good sense?)

It was a fact that during Michelle O's initiative, more food was wasted in school cafeterias than ever before.Kids became lethargic and testy in the afternoons because they hadn't eaten, much less eaten healthy. What the hell is wrong with a simple cheese or PBJ sammich, or a slice of pizza, if it is what a child will eat? (they are children, stupid.  we need to make some choices for them, stupid.  like what to eat, when to eat, how much exercise to get, when they can watch tv, when they can't, how late they can stay up, when to get up..all that good shit- how can you single out making them eat healthy at school as out of control and bad, if the other shit you want schools and adults to FORCE KIDS TO DO IS THE RIGHT WAY TO GO?  GODDAMN BIASED CLOWN, MUCH?)

[/quote]

PS...if you really think schools and michelle were being too harsh to give kids healthy food at school, to not give them the option to get cokes and pizza and fast food, I am surprised you are not griping about anyone making kids exercise at school- that is interfering in my parenting decisions!!  he might get hurt!  he might be clumsy and the poor dear might develop anxiety about his worth as a human being!  we cannot force kids to do something they don't want to do just because it is good for them!!!
seahooker

« Reply #27 on: 02 06, 19, 02:38:16:PM » Reply

in my humble opinion, when i was in school, the lunches they fed us were very unhealthy. We stayed thin because we played sports. Kids today don't play sports, high schools have a difficult time getting enough ball players.
Oscar_LaVista

« Reply #28 on: 02 06, 19, 02:42:16:PM » Reply

so how do you explain the huge obesity percentage of adults, who probably are about as active as their parents were?
seahooker

« Reply #29 on: 02 06, 19, 04:48:18:PM » Reply

I think parents of yesteryear worked very hard a blue color jobs. There aren't that many today sweat jobs, yet people are eating the same. Also, I still believe the additives they give to animals have something to do with it.
Jim
When someone claims to have an Open Mind they are soon shocked, dismayed, and offended that there actually are other views.
Contributor

What would they do without Anecdotals or Snark

« Reply #30 on: 02 06, 19, 04:52:47:PM » Reply

so how do you explain the huge obesity percentage of adults, who probably are about as active as their parents were?

Same thing.  Low activity.  Ribs, Steaks, Hot Dogs, Beer.
Jw2

DJB is a closet homo

« Reply #31 on: 02 06, 19, 05:28:21:PM » Reply

explanation:  more people are eating fast foods with high carbs and fat.
Oscar_LaVista

« Reply #32 on: 02 06, 19, 05:31:45:PM » Reply

no, not at all.  whose parents had sweat jobs? hard physical work almost their whole adult life?  what are you talking about?  are we talking about Appalachia? or most of america?  how long ago did your parents have their adult life, during the Wild Wild West? before cars and tv and inside jobs and not having to plow fields and repair fences and break horses and rope and brand your cattle?  what century are you two boys from?

i grew up around adults, i have been an adult around other adults my whole adult life.  my dad and mother and their friends were not any more active than i have been, or any of the adults in their 30's and 40's i know or have known. 
seahooker

« Reply #33 on: 02 06, 19, 05:56:53:PM » Reply

my parents worked during the depression and world war II, as did most adults who were not in the military. Didn't you have family that worked hard into the late 50's and early 60's, llj? Perhaps you are too young to remember what life was like. Mom's worked in machine plants while dads were away serving their country. Times were hard then! Food was rationed.
Oscar_LaVista

« Reply #34 on: 02 06, 19, 06:04:23:PM » Reply

seahooker, i am not saying their CHILDHOODS AND EARLY ADULT YEARS WERE PROBABLY LOTS TOUGHER!!  but after WW2, THE MIDDLE CLASS THRIVED, ESPECIALLY FOR WHITE PEOPLE!!  the best time of all to be middle class and working poor, because of strong union support, even from republicans, strong demand for our goods and services, a fair tax system where the rich and big corporations PAID HUGE HUGE LARGER PERCENTAGES OF THE TAX BURDEN, we were cutting the deficit and debt from WW2 down by huge numbers every year, and in most households one parent working was enough to live a great life with all the good things most families need and want. 
seahooker

« Reply #35 on: 02 06, 19, 06:15:00:PM » Reply

are you saying llj, women should not be in the work place?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: What do you think best explains the increased obesity rates in USA?
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory