Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 24, 05:23:54:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2660975 Posts in 298644 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Trump calls on Dems to return to D.C. for border security vote 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Trump calls on Dems to return to D.C. for border security vote  (Read 2054 times)
JigSaw-II
I know you know what I think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

A goal without a plan, is just a wish.

« Reply #24 on: 01 12, 19, 01:58:34:PM » Reply

(( Really, what are they going to do about the illegal immigration/border security problem?    ))

Well Chuck, We'll have to wait and see, won't we Chuck  Let them get the Government open first. Remember Chuck, the 116th Congress has been in session for just 9 days now.  Good things take time to build...
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #25 on: 01 12, 19, 02:09:00:PM » Reply

Well Chuck, We'll have to wait and see, won't we Chuck  Let them get the Government open first.

There's no better time than the present.  What are the Ds going to do about the problem?  The opportunity has never been better.  They have all the compromising room in the world.  They are holding all the cards.
wvit1001

« Reply #26 on: 01 12, 19, 02:16:39:PM » Reply

Consider the position he’s cornered himself into: Throughout his unending campaign-presidency, he’s infused an enormous amount of toxic symbolism into a border wall. He repeatedly described a “big, beautiful” wall along the entire southern border. According to the Washington Post, he said Mexico would pay for the wall on at least 212 occasions. He must be aware that his approval ratings have never broken out of a relatively small core of base supporters. Any halfwit politician would know that, after running a continuous campaign using such inflammatory rhetoric, there is absolutely no way that the opposition party would ever acquiesce to building a political campaign symbol, especially right after a midterm in which it won back control of the House.

Trump is now grasping to placate that small core of supporters who actually weren’t as upset as Coulter and Limbaugh made them out to be. I recall no rending of hair and gnashing of gums in Trump country when, in early 2018, a Republican-controlled Congress allocated only $1.6 billion for “border security” generally (and only $38 million for ”border barrier planning and design” specifically) despite Trump’s demand of $25 billion for those purposes. (Congressional Republicans are at least serious enough to understand that the border wall was just a campaign gimmick.)
wvit1001

« Reply #27 on: 01 12, 19, 02:18:08:PM » Reply

And yet Trump has worked himself into a position where he’ll almost certainly have to do the thing he thought he was avoiding: backing out, in the most public and idiotic way possible, of his own demand for wall funding. Tuesday’s forgettable national address and the industrial-scale leaking from the White House about Trump being on the verge of declaring a national emergency were transparently panicked attempts to regain the upper hand.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2019/01/12/trump-checkmates-himself/
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #28 on: 01 12, 19, 02:18:46:PM » Reply

Irrational spite against Trump is not going to solve anything.
wvit1001

« Reply #29 on: 01 12, 19, 02:21:57:PM » Reply

The U.S. Border Patrol typically measures its performance on immigration enforcement by the number of apprehensions of illegal crossers at the border. From 2010 through 2018, apprehensions have fluctuated but never exceeded 480,000 a year. The annual average for the past nine years is only 387,000. Contrast that with the 1.64 million who illegally crossed in 2000, or the 1.62 million who crossed in 1986, and it’s safe to say today’s problem doesn’t come close to being classified an “emergency.” The decade-long trend suggests crossing attempts are going down.
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #30 on: 01 12, 19, 02:28:34:PM » Reply

Ignoring the problem is not going to solve the problem.
JigSaw-II
I know you know what I think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

« Reply #31 on: 01 12, 19, 03:10:37:PM » Reply

(( They are holding all the cards. ))

Nope, nada Chuck,  The Republicans still control the Senate and they also still control the White House.  Maybe after 2020, that will all change and then you can say the Democrats hold all the cards.

(( Ignoring the problem is not going to solve the problem. ))

I wonder if the Republicans will ever understand that concept...

(( There's no better time than the present. ))

Agreed, but done one step at a time.  Top priority now, is to get trump under control, if that is possible.  Checks & Balance, I think they call it...
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #32 on: 01 12, 19, 03:29:53:PM » Reply

Top priority now, is to get trump under control, if that is possible.  Checks & Balance, I think they call it...

Congress doesn't have veto power.  That's checks and balance.  So, they have to work within the system.  Procrastination, spite, and refusal to compromise are not going to solve the illegal immigration/border security problem.  The next step is now, on the Ds.  The Rs want to solve it.  The president wants to solve it.
JigSaw-II

« Reply #33 on: 01 12, 19, 04:05:04:PM » Reply

(( The Rs want to solve it.  The president wants to solve it. ))

Chuck, that is the most dishonest comments you have ever made.  The Rs had 8 years to solve it.  The president has had two years to solve it.  So why hasn't it been solved, Chuck?

You can try and put the blame on the Ds, Chuck, but the fact remains, the Rs are the real problem.  When a crime boss is put into the WH, nothing good will come of it...

btw Chuck>>

Veto can be overridden only by a two-thirds vote in both the Senate and the House. If this occurs, the bill becomes law over the President's objections. A pocket veto occurs when Congress adjourns during the ten-day period. The President cannot return the bill to Congress.

Congress's power to override the President's veto forms a “balance” between the branches on the lawmaking power. The veto power does not give the President the power to amend or alter the content of legislation—the President only has the ability to accept or reject an entire act passed by Congress.
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #34 on: 01 12, 19, 04:12:46:PM » Reply

Chuck, that is the most dishonest comments you have ever made.

It's the truth, the truth I always put forth.  The fact that it's still not solved after all this time does not refute the truth today.  When are the Ds going to step up?  Today?  Tomorrow?

Veto can be overridden only by a two-thirds vote in both the Senate and the House.

Congress can try that route, but Ds don't have 2/3.  Checks and balances.
Truman62

MAGA Policies bring Misery and Death to America!

« Reply #35 on: 01 12, 19, 04:42:46:PM » Reply

Dem House stepped up yesterday and passed a bill to re-open govt.

Of course McConnell and the Republican Senate were NOWHERE to be found...

Looks like Repocons are playing at obstruction AGAIN!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Trump calls on Dems to return to D.C. for border security vote
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory