Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 29, 24, 03:47:32:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653664 Posts in 297946 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Nationalists rejoice 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Nationalists rejoice  (Read 603 times)
wvit1001

« on: 10 23, 18, 12:03:15:PM » Reply

Donald Trump just embraced nationalism. Yes, really.

"A globalist is a person that wants the globe to do well, frankly, not caring about our country so much. And you know what? We can't have that. You know, they have a word. It sort of became old-fashioned. It's called a nationalist. And I say, really, we're not supposed to use that word. You know what I am? I'm a nationalist, OK? I'm a nationalist.

"Nationalist. Nothing -- use that word. Use that word."

On its face, Trump seemed to simply be saying that while past presidents -- and politicians -- cared a lot about other countries and what other countries thought about the United States (i.e. globalists), that he cares primarily about the US and what is good for us (nationalist).

The problem, of course, is that words matter. And the American president referring to himself as a nationalist has all sorts of problems wrapped up in it.

Let's start with what nationalism means. Here's the definition, from Merriam-Webster (emphasis mine): "a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations or supranational groups."

That part in bold is what makes nationalism different than patriotism. While patriotism, like nationalism, shares a pride and belief in one's own country or values, it doesn't include the idea of promoting your values and culture as inherently superior to those of others.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/23/politics/donald-trump-nationalism/index.html
wvit1001

« Reply #1 on: 10 23, 18, 12:04:10:PM » Reply

To fear the world we have organized and led for three-quarters of a century, to abandon the ideals we have advanced around the globe, to refuse the obligations of international leadership and our duty to remain 'the last best hope of earth' for the sake of some half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems is as unpatriotic as an attachment to any other tired dogma of the past that Americans consigned to the ash heap of history

-John McCain
wvit1001

« Reply #2 on: 10 23, 18, 12:05:00:PM » Reply

“Foreign affairs is like sex—if you loudly announce that you will always come first, you’re going to have trouble finding partners."

-John Oliver
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #3 on: 10 23, 18, 12:10:52:PM » Reply

Good word.   Globalists are evil scumbags.
wvit1001

« Reply #4 on: 10 23, 18, 12:12:47:PM » Reply

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."

--Albert Einstein

"Patriotism is when the love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first."

--Charles DuGaulle

"Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self deception."

--George Orwell

I don't think Trump has the political vocabulary to understand what a Nationalist actually is.

He, like most of his base, probably conflates it with patriotism, not understanding that they're claiming a radical ideology that is professed by people who do know what they're talking about.

It ends up like a video from an early protest where a man in a MAGA hat is yelling at a counter-protester while standing in front of a large man wearing a shirt that says "Proudly Fascist". The counter-protester starts pointing, and yelling "Proudly fascist!" and the man in the MAGA hat yells back "You admit it! See, they admit it!" before realizing the counter-protester was pointing to the man behind him.

Once he realized he was on the same side as the "Proudly Fascist" guy, suddenly fascism wasn't such a bad thing.

chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #5 on: 10 23, 18, 12:14:54:PM » Reply

Out come the false Hitler analogies.  Boo!
omiaqt
Blacks will not truly be free from the bondage of slavery, until they free themselves from the Democrat Party!

Democrats are anti-Make America Great Again

« Reply #6 on: 10 23, 18, 12:22:35:PM » Reply

Mr. Chuck, would you wager the guy wearing the swastika is a Democrat plant?
wvit1001

« Reply #7 on: 10 23, 18, 12:25:58:PM » Reply

you think?    why would he be, nazi's are huuuuge nationalists aren't they?
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #8 on: 10 23, 18, 12:26:47:PM » Reply

Ds secretly love Hitler.   He promised a free Volkswagen for every worker.  I chit you not.  No wonder they loved him.
wvit1001

« Reply #9 on: 10 23, 18, 12:34:12:PM » Reply

you just say stupid stuff anymore chuck.   
Jw2

DJB is a closet homo

« Reply #10 on: 10 23, 18, 12:43:31:PM » Reply

chuck blindly follows Fuhrer Trump.

it's a shame that racism has a deep, strong hold on chuck.
wvit1001

« Reply #11 on: 10 23, 18, 12:45:20:PM » Reply

chuck just thinks it's funny seeing America torn apart.    Chuck's old and just doesn't give a shit anymore.
Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Nationalists rejoice
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About