Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 06:42:52:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653367 Posts in 297919 Topics by 308 Members
Latest Member: JerryEcold
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: No! Not my computer!!!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 Print
Author Topic: No! Not my computer!!!!  (Read 723 times)
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« on: 10 17, 18, 09:35:56:PM » Reply

Looks like we've got a dying hard drive.  Keeps freezing, screen goes black and I get a boot device restart message.
I've had this e-machines for 9 years! I'm crushed cuz I hate the idea of having to start over again!
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #1 on: 10 17, 18, 10:48:35:PM » Reply

I hate computer problems more than anything else.  The trouble is you can't keep up with technology.  While we're away I have my Android tablet and it's too smart for me.  I like my old desktop.  All of a sudden I find it has switched something I am writing into French.
Jim
When someone claims to have an Open Mind they are soon shocked, dismayed, and offended that there actually are other views.
Contributor

What would they do without Anecdotals or Snark

« Reply #2 on: 10 18, 18, 05:16:19:AM » Reply

Get another HD (same size or bigger) immediately and clone it before it dies completely.

sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #3 on: 10 18, 18, 05:16:36:AM » Reply

I have to have the Geeks look at mine too. A week ago this search engine called WeKnow highjacked my Google Search page and now it just says SEARCH. I looked it up and lots of people had that happen. I reinstalled chrome and got rid of it. Then I got an email from Apple saying I have an upgrade for my system so I did it and now I have the old chrome thing back and the SEARCH is back. grrr. I run antivirus and says I have no virus. What a pain.
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #4 on: 10 18, 18, 05:17:27:AM » Reply

Hi Jim...any suggestions for my problem?
luvtimes
Honored Member

« Reply #5 on: 10 18, 18, 07:07:11:AM » Reply

oh dear....

I have in my budget to purchase another cellphone... cause every time I go to Memphis I have to replace one... plus in the accident all my cellphones were thrown out the window of the car and cracked all of them in the same box...
also the GPS garmin stand and I'm still looking for the remote to the small plug in TV that I travel with just in case I get bored waiting on AAA to come to the rescue...depending on where you get stranded it could take up to 2 hours in the winter months....

I don't want to think anymore....
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #6 on: 10 18, 18, 12:58:08:PM » Reply

What to buy?  Toss up between an iPhone or an Android smart phone.  I have the latter and I really like it.
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #7 on: 10 18, 18, 03:19:47:PM » Reply

Jim, I'm buying a cheap tower right now, and when my oldest boy comes home for Christmas, he says he can build me one that's bullet ptpro... using a solid state drive or something.  He builds his own computers and they can do just about anything except wipe your rear after a deuce, LOL.
Jim
When someone claims to have an Open Mind they are soon shocked, dismayed, and offended that there actually are other views.
Contributor

What would they do without Anecdotals or Snark

« Reply #8 on: 10 19, 18, 03:55:52:AM » Reply

Sunshine, you can change your Default Search Engine in your Settings.  Thats all WeKnow did. (unless they put another file on your system that changes it back every time you change it.  That would take a bit more digging to find. But if you have an Apple, then I'm not your guy.  I've never owned one.

Hopefully all you need to do is click on the three dots in the upper right corner of Chrome, then select Settings near the bottom, then slightly scroll down to Search Engines and select Google.

Just Close all the tabs and restart Chrome, and Google "should" be back.  Fingers crossed.

Takn, you're going to LOVE that SDD. It is FAST!
Since your son builds his own PCs then he might know how to Clone HardDrives.  If your HD doesn't die completely its possible to clone it all over to your new drive and not lose a single syllable.  I use "EaseUS ToDo Backup."  You may have to buy a copy in order to use the Clone feature.  I've bought copies for my machine, my wifes machine and both sons. I like it that much.

I keep a current cloned backup of my both my Boot drive and my (D)ata drive, just in case something goes wrong with the original. And they have come in handy many many times.
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #9 on: 10 19, 18, 04:49:23:AM » Reply

I did all that Jim...and yes I have a Mac.Even after doing a system upgrade and reinstall Chrome...it came back. I'll have to get the Geeks over here one of these days.
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #10 on: 10 20, 18, 06:32:36:PM » Reply

I guess we'll hang on to the box till Christmas then.  I backed up all my files to an external, but apparently, did not back up all my favorites on Chrome, so now it only loaded my bookmarked pages from my phone (and Aesop's was one of them, LOL)

This is going to take some getting used to.  I can't figure out how to set up the file explorer, so I can easily get to documents and photos.

Right now, it looks like a bunch of app screens...it's driving me nutso.

I guess this new windows doesn't allow screensavers either...yes, I will probably figure some of it out before Sonny gets here, but then if I have him build me a new system, hopefully, he'll also set it up for my feeble mind, LOL.
luvtimes
Honored Member

« Reply #11 on: 10 20, 18, 06:55:56:PM » Reply

Windows 10 is a nightmare... you have to figure it all out yourself and you will miss some of the programs that you uses to get...getting most of your old programs out of the Microsoft store...windows 7 was a give me... I still have 2 emachines I thing they work... and filled with a lot of stuff I loved but... can't update to Windows 10 obsolete... need something I'm not giving..... the lost of a perfectly good scanner and printer... I tell ya...
Windows is something... made all the stuff you bought years ago obsolete...and not useful to other computers....
Pages: 1 2 Print 
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: No! Not my computer!!!!
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory