Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 11:03:29:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653433 Posts in 297921 Topics by 308 Members
Latest Member: JerryEcold
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: Driveway work 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Driveway work  (Read 476 times)
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« on: 06 03, 18, 07:07:11:PM » Reply

Started regraveling the driveway yesterday.  I had 5 yards of gravel brought in, because I figured it was more manageable that way and over the past couple months started filling in low spots and working on the entrances to the property.  Well, I decided this weekend, we needed to get moving on the rest of it.  Yesterday I started working the east driveway by myself...needless to say, I didn't get too far.  Between the loading and hauling each wheelbarrow full, then spreading it, it was pretty daunting.
Today, the hubby jumped in and did the shoveling and hauling and I did all the spreading...we got about 3/4 of the west driveway complete.  Needless to say, we need more gravel and after the driveways are done, we still have to do all around the traffic circle, I want to redo around my firepit, and then we have to excavate and gravel next to the shop so I can have my new utility garage put in...whew...this is gonna take a while, LOL...

* east driveway.JPG (160.5 KB, 640x480 - viewed 14 times.)

* west after.JPG (160.5 KB, 640x480 - viewed 17 times.)
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #1 on: 06 03, 18, 07:09:01:PM » Reply

Yes, all done by hand.   
Our younger neighbor with a front loader is always telling us we should just "hire out" (meaning he'd be happy to do it for a price), but we did pretty good for a couple of old folks with shovels, rakes, and a wheelbarrow.
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #2 on: 06 03, 18, 10:33:20:PM » Reply

That is hard labor.  Don't wear yourselves out - time to do that heavy stuff when you retire, not when you have to get up and go to work.  However, I'm a fine one to talk, it's always a do-it-yourself job for us.  You can't beat the satisfaction when it's done and looking good.
luvtimes
Honored Member

« Reply #3 on: 06 03, 18, 11:29:25:PM » Reply

OMG that's a lot if work and so well done. ..
Did you use a tamper for the gravel.. And you you have issues with weeds growing between the gravel...
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #4 on: 06 04, 18, 05:18:32:AM » Reply

Great job, well done!!! That is hard work.
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #5 on: 06 04, 18, 11:01:24:AM » Reply

Thank you sunshine.  Everytime I do a project like this, I'm reminded how hard you work on your properties...not keeping up with the Jones-es,  I just know we have the ability to do anything we put our minds to.

luv, I put down weed and brush killer, and Round-up down first, then the gravel.  No tamping, because we'll be driving on it daily.  We also have a metal drag that the hubby uses to keep it smooth and knock down weeds and grass that come through.

Yes, emily, it does suck but we have to do it every couple of years, otherwise the driveways look like an old cow trail.  The weeds are very prolific, even the blackberries and holly try to poke through, so I put down Roundup every 6 months or so to try to keep them at bay.

The satisfaction of having it done and knowing we can still do it is wonderful.  Hard work is its own reward most times.  Now I have to call for another 5 yards of gravel...
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #6 on: 06 04, 18, 01:56:33:PM » Reply

Taken...this  is just the tip of the iceberg pile of rocks. I put down tons  of paths. I cut my lawn cutting from 4. 5 to less than an hour. :-) This is my from my last home...my yard now is a postage stamp compared to this one with the gravel...on;y 10-15 minutes to do the lawn work.

* DSCN1517.jpg (588.82 KB, 1500x1125 - viewed 22 times.)

* DSCN3178.jpg (653.26 KB, 1500x1125 - viewed 14 times.)

* DSCN3277.jpg (615.9 KB, 1500x1125 - viewed 16 times.)
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #7 on: 06 06, 18, 03:54:29:AM » Reply

Eventually, I would like to gravel all our walking trails, but that may never happen.  The brush and blackberries are so thick out here in the Pacific NW, they are nearly impossible to be rid of completely.  But we're doing what we can to make it manageable.

Your property was to die for...
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #8 on: 06 06, 18, 05:12:31:AM » Reply

Thanks taken. If I could have gravled the paths int he woods I would have but  just being able to run the riding mower over the leaves there was good enough.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: Driveway work
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory