Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 18, 24, 07:48:09:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2660452 Posts in 298591 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: California's wild extremes of drought and floods to worsen 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Print
Author Topic: California's wild extremes of drought and floods to worsen  (Read 172 times)
wvit1001

« on: 04 24, 18, 02:15:16:PM » Reply

Over the past couple of years, California lurched from its worst drought ever to disastrous, record flooding.

Now, a new study suggests the frequency of these rapid, year-to-year swings from extreme dry to wet conditions — which the study authors dub "precipitation whiplash events" — may become more common in California’s future as a consequence of man-made global warming.

The study authors say the frequency of whiplash events — in which the region transitions suddenly from very dry to very wet conditions — "will double in southern California by the end of the century."

That would mean such whiplash events would occur around eight times per century in a warmer climate versus four times per century in a more stable climate, said UCLA climate scientist Daniel Swain, lead author of the study.

The extremes would also increase in northern California, but not at the dramatic rate of southern California.

Here's the science behind how it works: The amount of water vapor in the atmosphere increases rapidly as the atmosphere warms. This big increase in water vapor can lift the "ceiling" on extreme rainstorms and snowstorms, leading to a greatly increased potential for very wet events.

Global warming could also make the dry times even drier. In addition to the water vapor increase, climate change is likely to change prevailing wind and storm track patterns over the Pacific in a way that favors both wetter California winters in some years and drier winters in other years, Swain said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/04/23/california-drought-floods-worsen-climate-change/541822002/?utm_source=EHN&utm_campaign=62e04e6a3a-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8573f35474-62e04e6a3a-99389085
Dan
Contributor

JW2 is a homosexual

« Reply #1 on: 04 24, 18, 02:20:28:PM » Reply

Nope.  California has always had extreme weather cycles.
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #2 on: 04 24, 18, 02:22:11:PM » Reply

If they are smart they will be prepared next time, so they won't have to suffer so much.
wvit1001

« Reply #3 on: 04 24, 18, 02:23:10:PM » Reply

yes they have dan, just as most places have had extreme weather.   But they aren't cycles.   Cycles would mean they were occurring on some regular spacing of time, they article doesn't say anything about cycles.
wvit1001

« Reply #4 on: 04 24, 18, 02:24:02:PM » Reply

how do you prepare for horrific rains and floods chuck?   you make no sense.
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #5 on: 04 24, 18, 02:26:34:PM » Reply

Leaving is always an option.
wvit1001

« Reply #6 on: 04 24, 18, 02:28:21:PM » Reply

California is one of the largest economic engines in the US.   A few may leave but most won't.   Evidently your being an idiot isn't an option for you is it chuck?
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #7 on: 04 24, 18, 02:30:48:PM » Reply

There is always the unpredictability of the many fault lines criss crossing the State and a massive earthquake.  There was a small earthquake in Palm Springs a couple of days ago but not newsworthy any more.  If the San Andreas fault blows again it will also be another disaster.  Having been through two big ones down in Southern California, I get very nervous if we're on the freeway stuck in traffic and under an overpass bridge.
wvit1001

« Reply #8 on: 04 24, 18, 02:31:57:PM » Reply

see there chuck.   emily is afraid all the time but she's not leaving.
Dan
Contributor

JW2 is a homosexual

« Reply #9 on: 04 24, 18, 02:32:14:PM » Reply

Yes they are cyclical, wvit.
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #10 on: 04 24, 18, 02:32:30:PM » Reply

A few may leave but most won't.

Wow, you're a genius.   
wvit1001

« Reply #11 on: 04 24, 18, 02:34:25:PM » Reply

no they aren't cyclical dan.   
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: California's wild extremes of drought and floods to worsen
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory