Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 24, 24, 07:12:24:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2662346 Posts in 298769 Topics by 307 Members
Latest Member: northern pharmacy canada
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows  (Read 40 times)
wvit1001

« on: 02 23, 18, 11:19:02:AM » Reply

More firearms do not keep people safe, hard numbers show. Why do so many Americans believe the opposite?

The claim that gun ownership stops crime is common in the U.S., and that belief drives laws that make it easy to own and keep firearms.
But about 30 careful studies show more guns are linked to more crimes: murders, rapes, and others. Far less research shows that guns help.
Interviews with people in heavily gun-owning towns show they are not as wedded to the crime defense idea as the gun lobby claims.

Most of this research—and there have been several dozen peer-reviewed studies—punctures the idea that guns stop violence. In a 2015 study using data from the FBI and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, for example, researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University reported that firearm assaults were 6.8 times more common in the states with the most guns versus those with the least. Also in 2015 a combined analysis of 15 different studies found that people who had access to firearms at home were nearly twice as likely to be murdered as people who did not.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/
Oscar_LaVista

I need more cowbell! And walls!

« Reply #1 on: 02 23, 18, 12:05:40:PM » Reply

every modern country has way less murders than ours due to better gun laws.  we all know that, even, i suspect, most right wingers will begrudgingly accept that.  almost all intentional crime outside of murder, is connected directly to poverty rates and education rates. our country has really huge numbers of rich people compared to most modern countries because we have a more capitalist economy and we have a really huge number of those living in poverty compared to most modern countries, because we have a more capitalist society.  the more unregulated and free market the economy and the less the taxes are on the rich, the higher the gap between the rich and the poor, and you have way more of each than in other modern countries.  more freedom, less regulation, less taxes on the rich, but way more poverty.  and the high poverty rates lead to lower education rates and higher crime rates, all other factors being equal.  guns have almost no real effect on burglaries or fraud or assault.  just pure facts and logic. 
ttopcat

« Reply #2 on: 02 23, 18, 12:11:20:PM » Reply

No other country has as many criminals as we do , we have the worlds largest armed police force and even they can't stop our huge criminal lawless population! 
Oscar_LaVista

« Reply #3 on: 02 23, 18, 12:15:59:PM » Reply

we have an awful justice system, too.  we put all criminals, violent and non-violent, in the same place.  we have millions of people in jail for victimless crimes.  we do not focus on rehab and re-training for non-violent criminals nearly as much as we should. it is exceedingly hard for a criminal of the most non-violent crime to get out and continue his life and move up the economic food chain with that record hanging over his head.  many reasons.   
dont-blameme
Contributor

« Reply #4 on: 02 23, 18, 12:23:09:PM » Reply

No other country has as many criminals as we do , we have the worlds largest armed police force and even they can't stop our huge criminal lawless population!

That my friend is a good point, nor do they coddle the criminal and blame everybody. for what the criminal has done! In America when a criminal commits a crime it's society's fault first and if a gun is used it's the gun's fault second and some where done the line the criminal may be blamed!

Non violent criminals should not be in the same place as a violent criminals, and once their time is served and they keep out of trouble for a certain period of time then their slate should be wiped clean, BUT, should they commit another crime then no more breaks! Period!
wvit1001

« Reply #5 on: 02 23, 18, 12:25:10:PM » Reply

most countries don't create "criminals" the way the US does, they treat peoples problems instead of putting them in jail.
Oscar_LaVista

« Reply #6 on: 02 23, 18, 12:32:32:PM » Reply

every modern country "coddles" criminals more than this, and they have way less return rates, and way less crime rates in general.  we have more people in jail than any other country in the world, including China.  we have a higher prison rate than Russia.  in fact, we have the highest prison RATE in the world.  and you say we coddle criminals?

U.S. incarcerates more people than China or Russia, state Supreme ...
www.politifact.com/wisconsin/.../us-incarcerates-more-people-china-or-russia-state-/
Dec 9, 2015 - We're locking up more people than China and Russia." ... He said: "Today in America, we have more people in jail than any other country on Earth." ... The U.S. incarceration rate is 698 per 100,000 people, far outpacing Russia (445) and China (119), according to the Institute for Criminal Policy Research.

Yes, U.S. locks people up at a higher rate than any other country - The ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../yes-u-s-locks-people-up-at-a-higher-rate-than-an...
Jul 7, 2015 - (Dave Martin/AP). “It's a stark fact that the United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population, yet we have almost 25 percent of the world's total prison population. ... Even by that measure, the United States had the highest prison population rate in the world, at 716 per 100,000 people. More than ..
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: More Guns Do Not Stop More Crimes, Evidence Shows
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory