Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 25, 24, 08:37:11:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2662700 Posts in 298805 Topics by 307 Members
Latest Member: northern pharmacy canada
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: The deputy assigned to the Florida school didn't try to stop the shoot 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: The deputy assigned to the Florida school didn't try to stop the shoot  (Read 223 times)
ttopcat

« Reply #12 on: 02 23, 18, 10:03:08:AM » Reply

I'm not a hero but I would have tried to stop the shooter If I was armed with a good semi automatic pistol, I have know idea what the deputy was carrying, the deputy didn't know what the shooter was carrying my guess is he didn't want to face off with the shooter without backup!
wvit1001

« Reply #13 on: 02 23, 18, 10:51:21:AM » Reply

you might like to think you would but until you actually face that situation you'll never know.   unless you've had extensive training in handling panic/high stress situations you might be powerless to act.
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« Reply #14 on: 02 23, 18, 11:42:26:AM » Reply

I was just reading about this ttop...

Apparently, he was more concerned about his retirement than the lives of those kids and teachers.

AND THEY LET HIM RETIRE, RATHER THAN GET FIRED!  WHERE IS THE ACCOUNTABILITY!?  HE COULD HAVE STOPPED THE GUNMAN!
I foresee lawsuits from the families against the school district, the sheriff's department and the police union. 
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #15 on: 02 23, 18, 11:42:57:AM » Reply

you might like to think you would but until you actually face that situation you'll never know.   unless you've had extensive training in handling panic/high stress situations you might be powerless to act.

He was trained...
ttopcat

« Reply #16 on: 02 23, 18, 12:07:27:PM » Reply

I would hate to be him, No one will ever know if the officer could have made a difference! 
wvit1001

« Reply #17 on: 02 23, 18, 12:10:02:PM » Reply

and even with training some people freeze when faced with a high stress situation like this.   

Fight, flight or freeze – those are the most common responses to high-stakes decisions made under stress.

Most of the time, soldiers quickly choose fight or flight, practically without thinking about it, says Neil Shortland, a visiting lecturer and program manager for the Center for Terrorism and Security Studies.

But when faced with two equally bad or uncertain choices, soldiers, police and other emergency responders may freeze, Shortland says.

“You can be so focused on not making the wrong choice that you don’t make any choice,” he says.

The study will compare military to nonmilitary decision-making in situations that call for a quick choice between two equally bad or uncertain alternatives, known as “least-worst” decision-making. A typical example: Armed insurgents set off a bomb in a tunnel where soldiers are trapped. Do you send in more soldiers to treat and evacuate the wounded? Or do you hold off, knowing that the insurgents could set off a second bomb to kill the rescuers?

The researchers will focus in particular on indecision, known in psychological terms as “decisional inertia,” as well as what leads to it and how training might help reduce it.

“Both soldiers and police officers make phenomenally hard choices under terrible circumstances and terrible stress,” he says. “But overall, the soldiers were faster and more confident than the police or the students.”

Police, who are generally dealing with civilians instead of an organized and well-armed enemy, operate within a more complex set of values. When confronted with a situation that requires them to choose between equally strong values, such as the imperative to protect civilians versus the need to protect fellow officers, they may hesitate.

https://www.uml.edu/News/stories/2017/ShortlandGrant.aspx
Local5th

God is Great Beer is Good and People are Crazy

« Reply #18 on: 02 23, 18, 12:19:50:PM » Reply

There were many hero's that day. Untrained, acting in a panic/high stress situation, risking their lives to save lives of others.

Kudos to them.

wvit1001

« Reply #19 on: 02 23, 18, 12:23:20:PM » Reply

More importantly are those schooled in violence understand there are proper levels of force for each threat encountered. For instance, police officers draw their weapons only as a last resort, bouncers rarely strike customers unless the situation warrants it, and soldiers avoid firing on unarmed civilians at all costs.

However, for the inexperienced person the danger signs often go unrecognized, hence they are surprised by the intensity of a confrontation, or else ambushed by an attacker. Such mental dullness leads to panic, confusion, chaos and sensory overload, along with an inappropriate response that can have fatal consequences for both victim and attacker alike. Case in point whereas the bouncer might simply toss an unruly drunk out of the bar while experiencing the fight response, the inexperienced person would pull their pistol and shoot the drunk because they’re too frightened to consider the use of non-lethal force.

In regard to the flight response, the same applies. Whereas the soldier during the heat of battle would drag his wounded comrade to safety, the untrained person would run and leave their injured friend to the mercy of a marauding gang. Or when faced with overwhelming odds the soldier would freeze and avoid detection while the untrained person would run, thereby announcing their presence. Below is a graph illustrating trained and untrained responses.

http://legacy.ymaa.com/articles/fight-flight-or-freeze-trained-and-untrained-responses
Oscar_LaVista

I need more cowbell! And walls!

« Reply #20 on: 02 23, 18, 12:23:35:PM » Reply

i guess takncare believes he should be arrested for not wanting to get killed.  or not allowed his pension.  just amazing what some people think, and how little they respect the job police do overall...they are the ones, in most cases, who do go running into a place where everybody with any sense is running out of.  they put their lives on the line every time they pull a car over for anything, with all the guns out there, when they walk up to the car it could be their last act on Earth.  i would love to see these monday morning quarterbacks and these sitting on the sidelines heroes faced with that kind of choice, whether they be cops, or armed guards, or teachers, or students caught in the crossfire and see how they would react to that same condition...probably exactly the same. 
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #21 on: 02 23, 18, 12:25:29:PM » Reply

He failed to do his job.  If I do that, I get fired, not allowed to retire with my full pension.
Local5th

God is Great Beer is Good and People are Crazy

« Reply #22 on: 02 23, 18, 12:41:05:PM » Reply

the soldiers were faster and more confident than the police or the students.”

I think the difference there is a cop's goal is to stop and apprehend. A soldier locks and loads because it's already been decided someone is going to die.
Oscar_LaVista

I need more cowbell! And walls!

« Reply #23 on: 02 23, 18, 12:45:24:PM » Reply

he failed to do his job....THAT DAY.  for that you believe his pension that he paid into can be taken away? what planet are you from? i guess you believe if a 60 year old guy breaks the law and goes to jail then the government can take all his SS benefits and medicare benefits away even after he is released?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: The deputy assigned to the Florida school didn't try to stop the shoot
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory