Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 25, 24, 03:36:27:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2662686 Posts in 298804 Topics by 307 Members
Latest Member: northern pharmacy canada
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: Junco family 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Junco family  (Read 208 times)
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« on: 07 25, 17, 11:30:06:AM » Reply

The silly Juncos built their nest in the ground...so now I have a huge area of weeds I dare not venture into...but I did manage to get a few photos.  Including Mom and Dad guarding the nest from above...

* P1110512.JPG (159 KB, 640x480 - viewed 15 times.)

* P1110510.JPG (159 KB, 640x480 - viewed 15 times.)

* P1110511.JPG (153.5 KB, 640x480 - viewed 16 times.)

* P1110490.JPG (158.5 KB, 640x480 - viewed 13 times.)
pacifica
Honored Member

springborn1959

« Reply #1 on: 07 25, 17, 01:16:51:PM » Reply

Sweet things! I looked them up and read your type of land/area is the perfect home for them.
pacifica
Honored Member

springborn1959

« Reply #2 on: 07 25, 17, 01:21:20:PM » Reply

"Vivacious little juncos...stick with us through rain, snow, wind and gloom. The dark-eyed junco (Junco hyemalis) is about as glamorous as an old toaster, but for all its ordinariness, it’s Washington’s most reliable backyard bird...

Dark-eyed juncos are here year-round, nesting and foraging on the ground or in hopper-type and platform feeders. They prefer black oil and hulled sunflower seeds, peanut kernels, millet, thistle seeds and occasionally suet mixes.

These dependable little residents weigh in at about ¾ ounce, and have been clocked flying at 26 mph. They come in many color variations, though the “Oregon” race is the one most frequently found in Washington. Even with the color variations, one thing is for sure: The flick of the white outer tail feathers on a departing bird says junco.

Dark-eyed juncos used to be classified in the finch family Fringillidae and are still called a finch in some references. But they are now in the very closely related family Emberizidae, the wood warblers, tanagers, cardinals, grosbeaks, buntings, blackbirds and sparrows.

If you look in your field guide, juncos are likely placed among the sparrows, to which they are most closely related.

Think of the junco as an environmental barometer. If the junco population starts to decline, we will know our environment is in serious trouble.

Like any of the common backyard birds, it is enormously important to monitor them, so we can catch a crisis at the beginning.

Patricia Thompson is a wildlife biologist with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. She can be reached at http://wdfw.wa.gov."
pacifica
Honored Member

springborn1959

« Reply #3 on: 07 25, 17, 01:32:33:PM » Reply

From Wiki "These birds forage on the ground. In winter, they often forage in flocks.
They eat mainly insects and seeds. They usually nest in a well-hidden location on the ground or low in a shrub or tree."

So nice you have a cozy little home for them.
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #4 on: 07 25, 17, 01:52:52:PM » Reply

How sweet is that?!
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« Reply #5 on: 07 25, 17, 02:38:41:PM » Reply

These funny, little birds have nested in a hanging fuchsia basket and in my hostas before...

That's really great information pacifica, I usually gauge our environment on the bats, butterflies, and frogs (which with all the dry weather are now non-existent), but knowing there is a bird we can count on as well, really helps.  I have at least a dozen different birds visiting the feeders and with the giant Barred owl we snapped pictures of a few weeks ago, we know we have predators as well.
We found a pile of crow feathers and one crow joint feather in the woods yesterday, I think it might have been the owl who took it down, though we have coyotes and bobcats in the area as well.  Really have to keep an eye on Ozzie now, with all the hawks and eagles teaching their young to fly.
pacifica
Honored Member

springborn1959

« Reply #6 on: 07 25, 17, 05:20:05:PM » Reply

O Ozzie! Keep safe. Still think of his strut pose photos when he was "in charge" of your deck construction @ your city house lol. He's so Adorable! So he's gone from his own small kingdom to a large one. Do you have to keep him on a leash when he explores your acres? If he even does. With all the wildlife, really something to think about.

Bats, butters and frogs, yes sounds like important environmental gauges for your area as well.

Takn, now i know why you call those funny birds silly! They love your hostas & hanging plants? lol. Fuchsias make a nice nursery apparently.
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #7 on: 07 25, 17, 06:02:38:PM » Reply

We have a lot of sparrows and juncos and they are such little characters.  They sit on the deck rail and squabble.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: Junco family
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory