Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 19, 24, 12:14:06:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2660614 Posts in 298607 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Exploiting Scripture in the Name of Jesus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Exploiting Scripture in the Name of Jesus  (Read 1370 times)
wvit1001

« on: 03 28, 17, 01:58:25:PM » Reply

As we debate the many troubling policy proposals coming from our current administration, Christians must focus on Jesus above everything else — even our government, leaders, and comforts.

When we approach Jesus in an honest and innocent way — like children — it’s obvious what type of actions Christ would be for and against. The Bible tells us so clearly what type of person he was, and gives us countless examples to solidify his loving character and perfect divinity.

But we find creative ways to excuse ourselves from following Christ, because we often find that his actions contradict our vested interests — our lifestyle, political views, and self-preserving worldview. But if we are completely honest with ourselves, after reading the life of Christ and seeing everything that he did, how can we not know the answers to the following questions:

Would Jesus accept or ban refugees?

Would Jesus embrace or deport immigrants?

Would Jesus — the Healer — give or withdraw health care to those who need it?

Would Jesus — the Teacher — provide or take away educational resources to the poor?

The problem for many Christians is that instead of asking themselves, “What would Jesus Do?” they ask, “What does the Bible say is permissible?”

At first glance these two questions don’t seem radically different, but the applications are often contradictory to each other.

Because instead of accepting refugees, embracing immigrants, providing aid to the sick and resources to the poor, Christians commit all sorts of theological gymnastics to rationalize doing just the opposite, propagating doctrinal arguments that successfully pretend to be Christ-like while in reality circumventing Jesus almost entirely.

Instead of emulating Jesus they prefer to “follow the Bible,” and for the questions that were previously asked above, they would respond with verses and spiritual principles justifying their actions — “ Well, the Bible tells us to submit to authorities …”

When this happens, theology becomes a tool to see how much we can get away with under the guise of “Christianity” instead of being a way to become more like Christ. And to do this, you usually need to be somewhat of an expert in the Bible to pull it off.

If this sounds familiar, it’s because we see this happening in the New Testament. The Pharisees — “experts” in their law and faith — constantly questioned Jesus about what was permissible:

Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife? Teacher, which command in the law is the most important? Can you show us a miraculous sign from heaven to prove his authority?

The Bible is pointing toward Christ, exalting Jesus as the ultimate essence of God — everything that is true, holy, and good. So we should never make the mistake of valuing any verse over Christ.

Here is what Jesus tells us to do:

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matt. 26: 36-40)

https://sojo.net/articles/exploiting-scripture-name-jesus
D2D
Republicans believe every day is the fourth of July! Democrats believe every day is April 15!

#SayHisName Cannon Hinnant

« Reply #1 on: 03 28, 17, 02:03:22:PM » Reply

Again, Wvit proves he knows nothing of Christianity!

Tell me Wvit, would Jesus let illegals in knowing they would kill Christians?

Would Jesus demand we keep illegals despite the risk to Americans?

Would Jesus demand people be forced to be charitable?

Would Jesus demand education ban religion?

Would Jesus want people to be thoughtless drones as Democrats want?
wvit1001

« Reply #2 on: 03 28, 17, 02:04:21:PM » Reply

I know plenty about Christianity d2.   More than you evidently.
bhsgrad1972

There is a SEVERE lack of common sense these days.

« Reply #3 on: 03 28, 17, 02:04:29:PM » Reply

You do realize that the ENTIRE BIBLE is the WORD OF GOD, right?

So when a person reads the Bible, that person is reading words that GOD gave to the writers - the words that GOD WANTED US TO KNOW.

If the Bible says that something is "permissible", then GOD SAID THAT SOMETHING IS PERMISSIBLE.
sine-qua-non
ACCOLADES

Try Jesus, if you no like, Satan will take U back

« Reply #4 on: 03 28, 17, 02:04:40:PM » Reply

Another post of an opinion piece with a faulty premise

Just like nitwit to post such drivel here!
D2D
Republicans believe every day is the fourth of July! Democrats believe every day is April 15!

« Reply #5 on: 03 28, 17, 02:06:04:PM » Reply

I know plenty about Christianity d2.   More than you evidently.
You already proved yourself to be a liar on that count!
wvit1001

« Reply #6 on: 03 28, 17, 02:14:32:PM » Reply

not really bhs.   the bible wasn't always just the one book.   at first there was no christian bible, there were only a collection of texts from various authors written over decades.

the old testament was put together way before Jesus.

it wasn't until several hundred years after the Resurrection that it was decided which books would make up the New Testament.   

there are lots of biblical books that were used in Christianity and the church that never made it into the final versions of the New Testament

all this was decided by men.
bhsgrad1972

« Reply #7 on: 03 28, 17, 02:34:44:PM » Reply

No, sorry, wvit1001.  The various books of the Bible may have been WRITTEN by men, but they were men who wrote what GOD gave them to write.
D2D

« Reply #8 on: 03 28, 17, 02:36:17:PM » Reply

You see, Wvit is an Atheist and has no sense of self or the world around him let alone Christianity!

He believes himself a part of an elite destined to rule over the all the commoners!
wvit1001

« Reply #9 on: 03 28, 17, 02:39:10:PM » Reply

no bhs, there were lots of biblical books written about Jesus and Christianity.   But men decided which of those many books would make up the bible and which would not.   God didn't have anything to do with it.
bhsgrad1972

« Reply #10 on: 03 28, 17, 02:46:30:PM » Reply

Once again, wvit1001, you haven't a clue.  God had a lot to do with it.  I'm sure there was much prayer and discussion about the books to include in the Bible.

Now I realize that you call yourself an atheist, meaning that you don't believe God exists, so you probably don't understand that when we pray to God, HE often CAN and DOES answer us.  Some of us "hear" a "still, small voice" in our spirit; others just have an unmistakable feeling that God wants them to do something a certain way.

I can't say He ALWAYS answers me in a way I recognize, but I do know that He CAN - if I quiet my spirit and wait on Him in prayer and meditation.
wvit1001

« Reply #11 on: 03 28, 17, 05:18:06:PM » Reply

God doesn't answer prayer bhs, for that to happen God would need to be real and there is no God.
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Exploiting Scripture in the Name of Jesus
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory