Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 11:26:34:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653434 Posts in 297922 Topics by 308 Members
Latest Member: JerryEcold
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: 'for the children.' ? ? ? ....bailout for unions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: 'for the children.' ? ? ? ....bailout for unions  (Read 848 times)
natalukjoe
GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Contributor

« on: 08 18, 10, 09:44:50:PM » Reply

"Obamanomics has done more than just keep unemployment high during a modest recovery. It may also be keeping high joblessness permanent by raising the costs to businesses of hiring new workers. July's 9.5% unemployment level was bad enough. But the real problem is that the private-sector jobs machine, which is usually going full tilt at this point in a recovery, now seems to be broken. To many, it's becoming clear that if President Obama's radical job-killing agenda stays in place, job growth will be nonexistent. One of America's great advantages has always been its flexible, private-sector labor markets. From 1985 to 2008, U.S. unemployment averaged 5.6%. For the six largest economies in the European Union, the average rate was 34% higher, at about 7.5%. Yet many of those countries now have jobless rates lower than ours. Why? They've been dropping Keynesian stimulus as a strategy and moving more toward cutting spending and, in some cases, cutting taxes. Not Obama. He and Congress remain wedded to an outdated economic model that replaces the private sector's animal spirit and dynamism with the dead hand of government bureaucrats and their unions as the main economic forces in our country. That's what last week's $26.1 billion state 'bailout' was all about. We were told it was to keep teachers from being laid off and 'for the children.' In reality, it was a cynical taxpayer-funded payback to teachers' unions, which gave Obama and his party enthusiastic support and millions in donations in the last election. This is Obama's New America -- a government-run economy, with special benefits for unions and plenty of government jobs, but few private ones." --Investor's Business Daily
natalukjoe
GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Contributor

« Reply #1 on: 08 18, 10, 09:58:25:PM » Reply

Bragging rights: "We have been able to deliver the most progressive legislative agenda -- one that helps working families -- not just in one generation, maybe two, maybe three." --Barack Obama

What did you dream?

« Reply #2 on: 08 18, 10, 10:02:48:PM » Reply

Is this a news report, or a speech?

As for the $26B, where I live it's about vital teaching jobs. My local TV, which is certainly not liberal, says that in my state many teachers were laid off, and state officials (it's a red state) are working to ensure they get our share of this money and hire these teachers back.
stretch351c
Contributor

That which does not kill me, had better run

« Reply #3 on: 08 18, 10, 10:06:08:PM » Reply

Should read the fine print. If the states take this money, they have to come up with the funds to keep the jobs "saved" in place for at least a year. And in my state, it also mandates that we spend 30 million to get our "share". It's a union bailout, nothing more.

What did you dream?

« Reply #4 on: 08 18, 10, 10:12:53:PM » Reply

stretch, I heard that logic voiced by state officials WRT the unemployment benefit portion of the big stimulus. There may have been some truth to that argument, about the unemployment, at that time.

I'm not hearing that locally now. These same officials don't seem worried that this somehow ropes us into more state spending.
topgear
Honored Member

« Reply #5 on: 08 18, 10, 10:13:46:PM » Reply

"As for the $26B, where I live it's about vital teaching jobs."

So, you have no qualms of taking the money from people in other states to prop up your state.
Gee. Thanks a lot.
stretch351c
Contributor

« Reply #6 on: 08 18, 10, 10:19:18:PM » Reply

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100811/NEWS01/708119917/1009 right here 87.

What did you dream?

« Reply #7 on: 08 18, 10, 10:29:26:PM » Reply

topgear raises an interesting point.

RW like to claim some sort of monolithic, principled moral high ground about cutting spending and the size of government, even to the point of refusing federal money.

This was relatively easy back in Spring 2009. Now that this awful recession has dragged out and worn on people for another 15 months, when someone is handing out slices of pie, everybody wants some, regardless of rhetoric.

I am pessimistic about the coming election in that the RW will take back Congress, get their turn to properly ruin things, and get voted out again in 2012.

I recently heard a Republican strategist predict this. Such is political chess, and it's too bad that so few players are masters.
stretch351c
Contributor

« Reply #8 on: 08 18, 10, 10:41:02:PM » Reply

Even if Reps. take control of congress, they will still have a hostile President to deal with. They probably wil not have enough votes to overide a veto. So even if they try and pass real spending cuts. This President won't allow it.
Baretta19

« Reply #9 on: 08 19, 10, 05:14:05:AM » Reply

After listening to an interview on CNN the other day about the education system in this country it is very obvious our Gov is doing nothing more than throwing good money after bad, Anyone would be hard pressed to convince me and many others this $26B is nothing more than a down payment on votes from the unions, I would think that spending $26B to fix a KNWN problem would be a much better investment of our tax dollars, but hey, rehire incompetent teachers it's a VOTE
topgear
Honored Member

« Reply #10 on: 08 19, 10, 06:18:40:AM » Reply

If Obama vetoes any spending cuts, which he will, the Congress can always refuse to spend the money.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: 'for the children.' ? ? ? ....bailout for unions
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory