Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 01:12:20:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653459 Posts in 297923 Topics by 308 Members
Latest Member: JerryEcold
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  eXcite  |  Topic: Muslim-Americans served in US military in many wars 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3  Print
Author Topic: Muslim-Americans served in US military in many wars  (Read 4420 times)
daw_jr
Honored Member

« Reply #24 on: 08 17, 10, 08:31:18:PM » Reply

Julianne, thanks for that. Every bit of sanity helps in a sea of insanity. Who knew that when I posted about Muslim-Americans fighting wars to protect this country, it could stir up so much ugliness.
julianne
Honored Member

Initial Impressions Matter

« Reply #25 on: 08 17, 10, 09:14:44:PM » Reply

Daw, here's more information related to the topic of your thread .........

History of American Muslims (1)

On June 17, 1775, Peter Salem (Saleem) born (1750?-1816) a former slave who fought in the Battle of Bunker Hill. The battle was fought at Breed’s Hill according to one story, the colonial troops were near defeat, and British Major John Pitcairn ordered them to surrender. Salem then stepped forward and shot Pitcairn. Pitcairn later died of the wound. Peter Salem got awarded for fighting in the Revolutionary War, and he also fought at Lexington. Peter Salem and Salem (Saleem) Poor were honored for their bravery.

Peter Salem was born a slave in Framingham, Massachusetts. He had at least two owners in his lifetime. The first owner was Jeremiah Belknap. Belknap sold him to Lawson Buckminister of Framingham. Buckminister allowed Salem to enlist in the colonial army. In exchange for enlisting in the army, Salem received his freedom.

After receiving his freedom “Peter Buckminister” changed his name to Salem. He was also known as “Salem Prince.” Local legend has it that the name Salem came from a Massachusetts privateering port where all of the sailors went during the Revolutionary War when people were fighting on their boats. History reports that an old Jewish man told the people that the word was like “shalom” which means peace. The name for peace in Arabic is Salaam and Saleem in Arabic means one who is peaceful.

Salem (Saleem) remained in the army for several years, long enough to fight in the battles of Saratoga and Stony Point. After the war he settled in Leicester, Massachusetts where he barely earned a living weaving cane seats for chairs. He died in the poor house in Framingham in 1816. Postage stamps have been made of Peter Salem and Salem Poor as American Revolutionary war heros.

http://www.middle-east-studies.net/?p=2755

emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #26 on: 08 17, 10, 10:41:34:PM » Reply

Emily, I'll admit I'm one-sided. I'm 100% for tolerance of people who are not white, anglo/saxon, protestant and straight and who are breaking no laws, and I'm 100% against people who trash them simply for how they were born or their religion.

AND, I'M DAMN PROUD TO BE 100% FOR ONE GROUP AND 100% AGAINST THE OTHER.

I don't think you are being particularly straight up with that statement Daw.   From what I perceive of your one-sidedness, it is 100% left wing, no matter what their policy is and 100% against right wing.   Left wing = saintly, right wing = evil!.  That is what I get from your posts and your coffee klatch discussions with Cheryl, Julianne, Kook etc. on this Board - you know "how nasty, mean and evil they all are".   It's all party politics!  What you describe as quoted above can be found in both parties.  Myself, I take people at face value - I always have and I don't hypocritically patronise someone because of their color, religion or background, neither do I rush to judgement.

When I came here to America (legally, I might add) it was because of the promises of opportunity that we didn't have where we came from.  I believed in the free enterprise system that this country was all about.  Maybe it was 'pie in the sky' but for us on the other side of the world it was the American dream.   BTW I hadn't seen an Ozzie and Harriet show.

I do believe that all of you mentioned above can be pleasant company when politics is taken out of the equation.
caserio1

« Reply #27 on: 08 17, 10, 10:55:46:PM » Reply

so emily posts that being against bigotry is in itself evil because it's negative

now there's a defense worthy of  nurenberg defendent
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #28 on: 08 17, 10, 11:41:54:PM » Reply

so emily posts that being against bigotry is in itself evil because it's negative

now there's a defense worthy of  nurenberg defendent

What?  Have you been drinking?  I would say that your powers of deduction are zero % or you just fail to understand basic English.
daw_jr
Honored Member

« Reply #29 on: 08 17, 10, 11:43:42:PM » Reply

From what I perceive of your one-sidedness, it is 100% left wing, no matter what their policy is and 100% against right wing.   Left wing = saintly, right wing = evil!.

You're almost correct, except that I have blamed some democrats. That can't be denied. I have, repeatedly, stated that most of the current problems in this country are due to republican legislation, with the help of corporate democrats.

Not backing away from that because I can't find any information to counter that statement.
upyrwazoo
Contributor

« Reply #30 on: 08 18, 10, 12:05:36:AM » Reply

There is a Japanese Cultural Center in Honolulu.......

APPLES AND ORANGES OLD GIRL!!! BUT YOU KNEW THAT!
julianne
Honored Member

Initial Impressions Matter

« Reply #31 on: 08 18, 10, 12:25:50:AM » Reply

Oops, it appears that Rush Limbaugh screwed up big time again.....

There are plans to build a Muslim community center a few blocks from the site of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York City, and some American nationalists are not happy about it. Some of those opposing the construction have tried to compare it to hypothetical situations that would outrage Americans. Since the shock induced by the 9/11 attacks had often been compared to Pearl Harbor, a few people have tried to argue that a mosque near Ground Zero in New York would be just as offensive as Japanese building a Shinto Shrine near Pearl Harbor.

If they’d bothered to do some fact checking before opening their mouths, they’d have probably already Shinto Shrines in Hawaii, with a couple not far from Pearl Harbor. (There are also some Buddhist Temples in the area.)

Here are two of my favorite incredibly stupid comments about Japan that people have made when attempting to argue against the construction of the NYC mosque:

1) Right-wing radio host Rush Limbaugh asked listeners what they would think if a “Hindu Temple” was built at Pearl Harbor, apparently thinking that Japan was a Hindu nation.

2) One of the Wall Street Journal’s readers left an angry comment on an article about the A-bomb anniversary. Here it is [hat tip to Fat Tony]:

Perhaps we should test the Japanese people’s resolve by attempting to build a big christian church at ground zero.”

The reader is unaware of the fact that Urakami Cathedral is one of the major landmarks associated with the Nagasaki bombing.

There were also churches in Hiroshima in 1945, with at least one near ground zero. Of course, both cities have Christian churches today.

http://www.japanprobe.com/2010/08/17/shinto-shrine-near-pearl-harbor/

Pages: 1 2 3  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  eXcite  |  Topic: Muslim-Americans served in US military in many wars
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory