Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 04:18:52:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653515 Posts in 297929 Topics by 308 Members
Latest Member: JerryEcold
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: 1993 flip-flop: Sen. Reid introduced bill 'clarifying' birthright citi 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: 1993 flip-flop: Sen. Reid introduced bill 'clarifying' birthright citi  (Read 1664 times)
keno

« on: 08 17, 10, 09:17:29:AM » Reply

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2010/aug/12/1993-flip-flop-senreid-introduced-bill-clarifying-/

1993 flip-flop: Sen. Reid introduced bill 'clarifying' birthright citizenship

For all the brouhaha over Republicans wanting to review the interpretation of the 14th Amendment, the citizenship/birthright clause, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, once supported revising the current interpretation of the birthright citizenship clause in 1993.
Mr. Reid introduced a bill to the Senate Judiciary Committee as the Immigration Stabilization Act of 1993. The bill, which died in committee after it was referred to the Subcommittee on Immigration and Refugee Affairs,  includes tough immigration provisions that would make many wonder where Mr. Reid truly stands on the immigration and border debate.
Title X of the Reid introduced bill shows the Nevada Democrat took Senator Lindsey Graham's, South Carolina Republican, idea on the interpretation of the 14th Amendment and documented it into legislation:

"TITLE X—CITIZENSHIP 4 SEC. 1001. BASIS OF CITIZENSHIP CLARIFIED.  In the exercise of its powers under section of the Fourteenth Article of Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, the Congress has determined and hereby declares that any person born after the date of enactment of this title to a mother who is neither a citizen of the United States nor admitted to the United States as a lawful permanent resident, and which person is a national or citizen of another country of which either of his or her natural parents is a national or citizen, or is entitled upon application to become a national or citizen of such country, shall be considered as born subject to the jurisdiction of that foreign country and not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States within the meaning of section 1 of such Article and shall therefore not be a citizen of the United States or of any State solely by reason of physical presence within the United States at the moment of birth."

Even the summary of the bill contains language that would offend many of Mr. Reid's supporters who are pushing amnesty for illegal immigrants in the United States:

"A bill to curb criminal activity by aliens, to defend against acts of international terrorism, to protect American workers from unfair labor competition, and to relieve pressure on public services by strengthening border security and stabilizing immigration into the United States."

keno

« Reply #1 on: 08 17, 10, 09:18:26:AM » Reply

The Center for Immigration Studies, wrote about the failed bill in 1993, describing it this way:

Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) has introduced a comprehensive immigration reform bill (S. 1351) that includes a provision that would limit citizenship to those whose mothers are United States citizens or legal permanent residents. However, Senator Reid's proposal is to amend only the Immigration and Nationality Act, not the Constitution. Additionally, Senator Alan Simpson (R-WY) is planning to propose an immigration reform package that will include a provision similar to that of Senator Reid's. Whether or not Senator Simpson's recommendation will limit the right to citizenship to only those whose mothers are citizens or legal residents remains to be seen.
Opponents of these proposals argue that they go against the fundamental traditions of the United States. The citizenship clause was originally written to guarantee citizenship to all freed slaves, thereby establishing a tradition of inclusiveness. On the other hand, those in favor of the proposals believe birthright citizenship to be an attraction to illegal immigration. Under current law, simply because a child is born on U.S. soil, he or she is entitled to all the benefits that U.S. citizenship entails, including federal welfare benefits and the right to vote. Additionally, when that child turns 21, he or she will be able to sponsor his or her parents, and other family members, to the United States under the family reunification provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Mr. Reid has taken quite the 180 since he introduced his immigration bill in 1993. “They've either taken leave of their senses or their principles,” said Senator Reid of Republicans recently when asked about what he thought about the GOP push to clarify the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. Mr. Reid tried to endear himself recently to Hispanic voters in Nevada when discussing border issues and told them, "I don't know how anyone of Hispanic heritage could be a Republican." Causing an uproar among Hispanics who are conservatives and Republicans, Mr. Reid's past dabbling with the 14th Amendment cannot possibly make his liberal supporters happy.

Mr. Graham wants the 14th Amendment clarified, while House Minority Leader, John Boehner, Ohio Republican, said looking at the Amendment was “worth considering,” according to reports.
The 14th Amendment grants citizenship to any individual born in the United States. It also grants citizenship to babies born on American soil to illegal immigrants. The babies are commonly known as “anchor babies,” because their citizenship status makes it easier for their undocumented relatives to achieve legal immigration status by family reunification measures found in the 1965 Immigration and Nationality Act. A new study published by the Pew Hispanic Center reports that 1 in 13 babies are born to illegal immigrants (h/t Fox 13 Now-Utah).
hoosier_daddy
Don't hate me because I am beautiful

how cool that chemtrail can change profiles

« Reply #2 on: 08 17, 10, 09:48:44:AM » Reply

what about illegal women but legal fathers?  why should american women get more advantages, per this law, than american men?  this law is clearly unconstitutional UNDER the very equal protection clause contained within the 14th Amendment itself!!  besides, you cannot make a law that changes the constitution....all you can do is amend the constitution, which can be introduced by congress or by the states, but it takes a 2/3rds majority of states to ratify, which is a very high bar....this provision of the law made good sense when it was written after Emancipation, and not so much now, but it is exceedingly hard to change it, exceedingly hard to enforce it, and creates more problems than it would solve, more than likely.  i think we are stuck with it...so we might as well move on to the next subject...
keno

« Reply #3 on: 08 17, 10, 10:00:54:AM » Reply

besides, you cannot make a law that changes the constitution

\LOL. Perhaps. I guess you just need the SCOTUS to make em.
hoosier_daddy

« Reply #4 on: 08 17, 10, 10:06:38:AM » Reply

there is no reference to birthright status of the 14th amendment in this bill....washington times, owned by the moonies, strikes again!! and you dumbass conservatives believe it...

S. 1351: Immigration Stabilization Act of 1993

1993-1994
Track S. 1351 [103rd]
Because this bill was introduced in a previous session of Congress, no more action can occur on it.
Primary Source
See S. 1351 [103rd] on THOMAS for the official source of information on this bill or resolution.

Summaries
Congressional Research Service Summary
The following summary was written by the Congressional Research Service, a well-respected nonpartisan arm of the Library of Congress. GovTrack did not write and has no control over these summaries.
8/4/1993--Introduced.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Title I - Admission of Immigrants Title II: Admission of Refugees Title III: Asylum Reform Title IV: Criminal Aliens Title V: Financial Responsibility Title VI: Employer Sanctions Title VII: Border Security Title VIII: Alien Smuggling Title IX: Local Cooperation Title X: Citizenship Immigration Stabilization Act of 1993
Title I - Admission of Immigrants
Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act (Act) with respect to: (1) immigration levels; (2) visa allotment; and (3) petition approval.
Title II - Admission of Refugees
Limits nonemergency refugee admissions in any fiscal year to 50,000.
Title III - Asylum Reform
Amends provisions with respect to: (1) alien inspection and exclusion by immigration officers; (2) asylum; and (3) judicial review.
Title IV - Criminal Aliens
Expands the definition of "aggravated felony."
Section 402 -
Provides for the expedited deportation of certain nonpermanent resident aliens convicted of an aggravated felony.
Section 403 -
Authorizes judicial deportation for an alien convicted of a felony.
Section 404 -
Increases penalties for reentry or failure to depart.
Section 406 -
Authorizes the deportation of an alien prisoner prior to sentence completion under specified circumstances.
Section 407 -
Amends Federal criminal law to require the issuance of a judicial order of deportation in the case of an alien being sentenced for an aggravated felony.
Section 408 -
Authorizes Federal incarceration and deportation of certain State-convicted aliens.
Section 409 -
Amends Federal criminal law to increase penalties for specified visa and passport related crimes.
Section 410 -
Requires State or local law enforcement agencies to notify the district Immigration and Naturalization Service office upon the felony arrest of an alien.
Title V - Financial Responsibility
Authorizes the admission of an alien otherwise excludable as a public charge (as defined by this Act) if such alien has a sponsor guarantee of financial responsibility.
Section 503 -
Limits benefits, including unemployment benefits, for illegal aliens.
Title VI - Employer Sanctions
Revises employer sanction provisions, including: (1) work eligibility documents; and (2) social security telephone verification.
Title VII - Border Security
Increases Border Patrol personnel levels. Establishes: (1) a border crossing fee; and (2) a Border Control Trust Fund.
Section 704 -
Amends the Act to establish increased penalties or a required pilot program for international carriers that bring in more than specified numbers of undocumented aliens.
Title VIII - Alien Smuggling
Directs the Secretary of State to enter into cooperative foreign arrangements to prevent the unlawful entry of aliens into the United States.
Section 802 -
Directs the Secretary of Defense to instruct the Coast Guard with respect to preventing the illegal entry of aliens into the United States by sea.
Section 803 -
Amends Federal criminal law to bring specified alien related activities under the purview of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) provisions.
Section 804 -
Increases alien smuggling penalties.
Section 805 -
Expands forfeiture provisions for smuggling or harboring aliens.
Section 806 -
Amends Federal criminal law to authorize wiretaps for alien smuggling investigations.
Title IX - Local Cooperation
Prohibits specified Federal program assistance to States or local entities that do not use the SAVE system to verify an alien applicant's immigration status.
Title X - Citizenship
Makes it unlawful (and establishes penalties) for a noncitizen to vote in a Federal or State election.
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« Reply #5 on: 08 17, 10, 10:25:40:AM » Reply

Hoosier, that is why any bill introduced now, must clarify that BOTH parents must be citizens or legal permanent residents...bottom line...

The point remains that Harry is a two faced idiot...
hoosier_daddy

« Reply #6 on: 08 17, 10, 10:46:31:AM » Reply

have you had any political changes in your own philosophy in 17 YEARS, TAKNCARE?  does that make you two faced?  aren't people supposed to change, at least a little, in 17 FREAKING YEARS?  i actually agree with changing the anchor baby law in PRINCIPLE...but i think it would actually cause more trouble than it would solve....
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: 1993 flip-flop: Sen. Reid introduced bill 'clarifying' birthright citi
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory