Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 05:24:16:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653361 Posts in 297918 Topics by 308 Members
Latest Member: JerryEcold
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: ACLU fighting for Bomber's right to express himself 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: ACLU fighting for Bomber's right to express himself  (Read 49 times)
wxzyw
"Destroy the seed of evil, or it will grow up to your ruin." Aesop

God Bless People of Good Will

« on: 09 27, 16, 11:15:44:AM » Reply

ACLU representing bombing suspect Ahmad Rahami

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- The American Civil Liberties Union on Monday began representing a man accused of setting off bombs in New York and New Jersey and injuring more than 30 people.

After judges in both states denied attempts by public defenders to represent Ahmed Khan Rahami, a lawyer for the organization's New Jersey chapter entered a notice of appearance in his case in federal court in Newark on Monday.

Rahami has been hospitalized since he was caught following a shootout with police in Linden last week. He has not made an initial court appearance.

Prosecutors said in a filing last week that he had been incapacitated and intubated since undergoing surgery for his wounds. A spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office did not have an updated condition available on Monday.

Rahami's family spoke with his doctors on Monday for the first time after numerous requests since the ACLU got involved, said Udi Ofer, the New Jersey chapter's executive director. Ofer didn't disclose Rahami's condition, but ACLU attorney Alexander Shalom said law enforcement officials have informed the ACLU he remains unconscious.

Federal judges last week denied requests by public defenders to be appointed to represent Rahami, agreeing with prosecutors' arguments that he had not officially been arrested by federal authorities.

Shalom said in a filing that Rahami's father and wife requested the ACLU represent him until he is appointed a federal public defender or other lawyer.

Ofer said denying Rahami's right to a lawyer "violates the Constitution and needlessly sacrifices civil liberties in the name of national security."

"It is outrageous that Mr. Rahami has been in custody for a week yet has been denied the right to have an attorney visit him to confirm his condition and protect his constitutional rights," Ofer said.

Rahami, an Afghan-born U.S. citizen, has been accused of detonating a pipe bomb in a New Jersey shore town and a pressure cooker bomb in New York City's Chelsea neighborhood on Sept. 17. No one was injured in the Jersey blast, and 31 people were injured in the New York blast. A second pressure cooker bomb didn't explode.

Rahami was charged by federal prosecutors in both states and faces state charges in New Jersey in connection with the shootout. Two officers involved in the shootout were treated for minor injuries.

The charges against Rahami include federal terror crimes and state charges of attempting to murder police officers.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/207897684-story
wvit1001

« Reply #1 on: 09 27, 16, 11:17:29:AM » Reply

ACLU Comes to Rush Limbaugh's Defense

Talk radio host Rush Limbaugh (search) probably never expected the American Civil Liberties Union (search) to become one of his staunch supporters.

But the privacy rights group was on his side Monday when its Florida branch filed a "friend-of-court" motion on behalf of Limbaugh arguing state officials were wrong in seizing his medical records for their drug probe.

"For many people, it may seem odd that the ACLU has come to the defense of Rush Limbaugh," ACLU of Florida Executive Director Howard Simon said in a released statement.

"But we have always said that the ACLU's real client is the Bill of Rights, and we will continue to safeguard the values of equality, fairness and privacy for everyone, regardless of race, economic status or political point of view," Simon said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/01/12/aclu-comes-to-rush-limbaugh-defense.html
wxzyw
"Destroy the seed of evil, or it will grow up to your ruin." Aesop

God Bless People of Good Will

« Reply #2 on: 09 27, 16, 11:26:07:AM » Reply

Just like the left........ equating a terrorist bomber with a pain-killing drug abuser.
wvit1001

« Reply #3 on: 09 27, 16, 11:43:55:AM » Reply

I thought we were talking about the ACLU and who they've defended. 
lluke47

« Reply #4 on: 09 27, 16, 11:54:42:AM » Reply

I defend the rights of the cop to shoot down the criminal..
wvit1001

« Reply #5 on: 09 27, 16, 11:58:23:AM » Reply

I do too if the shooting is necessary.
dont-blameme
Contributor

« Reply #6 on: 09 27, 16, 12:18:56:PM » Reply

wvit1001/1965hawks how many bombs did rush set' that would have you coming to the defense of a terrorist?
warrenpees

Stable genius.

« Reply #7 on: 09 27, 16, 01:21:08:PM » Reply

In America, every defendant in every criminal case is constitutionally entitled to legal representation.  If you can't live with that, get tf out.
wvit1001

« Reply #8 on: 09 27, 16, 01:40:26:PM » Reply

they only like some parts of the Constitution.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: ACLU fighting for Bomber's right to express himself
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory