Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 23, 24, 10:16:25:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2661896 Posts in 298734 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: 'Make America Great Again' is a Dangerous Political Tool 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: 'Make America Great Again' is a Dangerous Political Tool  (Read 73 times)
wvit1001

« on: 07 25, 16, 09:48:43:PM » Reply

As far back as you go, there’s always someone longing for longer ago

“Make America great again!” … and again, and again. Trump’s campaign wants to rally supporters around that cry, motivating crowds with the idea of harking back to what America supposedly once was. In fact, “again” could be seen as the most important word in the phrase. That little adverb carries a lot of weight, implying that things are worse now than they once were, and evoking a powerful political nostalgia for a past — whatever that past may be — that was allegedly better. But no matter how far back you look, someone is always yearning to look back further, to an imagined better time.

The word “nostalgia” comes from the Greek nostos, which means to return home, and algos, or pain. Originally referring specifically to homesickness, nostalgia now signifies a much broader, bittersweet longing for familiar surroundings or the way things used to be. As a nation, this longing for a lost, better era is a political mainstay — one that appeals especially to the conservative-minded (who, by definition, tend to be somewhat backward-looking).

Interestingly, nostalgia is most often oriented away from complexity and toward simplicity. We look back fondly to when things were supposedly simpler, more clear, less confusing. We long for remnants large and small of an earlier age: TV remote controls with just a few basic buttons. Being able to board a plane without going through long, tedious security procedures. Letting kids roam and play without fear of predators. Quiet family dinners without intrusive emails, texting, or Internet browsing.

Nostalgia is bittersweet — bitter because it concerns what we have lost; sweet because it concerns something we loved. It’s one thing to be nostalgic for a lost summer crush from childhood; it’s another thing altogether to use it to frame a national discourse. Constantly harking back to an imaginary past turns us away from the task before us as a society: not to chart a return to how things never were, but to build a future that accords with our twenty-first century realities and ideals.

https://timeline.com/false-nostalgia-donald-trump-e935ef77018c#.nixi5n8y5
Jim
When someone claims to have an Open Mind they are soon shocked, dismayed, and offended that there actually are other views.
Contributor

What would they do without Anecdotals or Snark

« Reply #1 on: 07 25, 16, 09:53:06:PM » Reply

"Change" is not always as good as its cracked up to be.  Ask the Jews in WWII.  Ask the Jim Jones kool Aid drinkers.

Truman62

MAGA Policies bring Misery and Death to America!

« Reply #2 on: 07 25, 16, 09:55:00:PM » Reply

Ask GWB who took us back to the Great Depression! 
wvit1001

« Reply #3 on: 07 25, 16, 09:55:12:PM » Reply

change was good for America after the republicans had run it into the ditch with the Bush presidency.
stretch351c
Contributor

That which does not kill me, had better run

« Reply #4 on: 07 25, 16, 10:12:07:PM » Reply

At least according to the Leftist version of history.
wvit1001

« Reply #5 on: 07 25, 16, 10:14:17:PM » Reply

no, according to reality. 
stretch351c
Contributor

That which does not kill me, had better run

« Reply #6 on: 07 25, 16, 10:24:42:PM » Reply

Who was it that stopped GWB from reforming Freddie and Fannie over 70 times? Hint, it wasn't Republicans.  I realize that Leftists have no real understanding of economics, their failed policies prove that, but business is proactive, not reactive. Once Democrats took control of Congress, businesses knew they were going to get screwed, so they planned for it.
Jim
When someone claims to have an Open Mind they are soon shocked, dismayed, and offended that there actually are other views.
Contributor

What would they do without Anecdotals or Snark

« Reply #7 on: 07 25, 16, 10:26:27:PM » Reply

Ask GWB who took us back to the Great Depression!

No he didn't. Why do you always need to Lie?  Can't find enough truth to fit into a short sentence?
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #8 on: 07 25, 16, 10:27:26:PM » Reply

It surely is a dangerous political tool against those who brought us to this sad state of affairs.   It isn't resonating with us peons for no reason.  If your masters were even half of what they claim to be, that wouldn't be the case.
seahooker

« Reply #9 on: 07 25, 16, 11:00:23:PM » Reply

vit posts an opinion piece from far lefties and that is supposed to change a conservatives thinking. give me a break
darkflower

« Reply #10 on: 07 25, 16, 11:33:52:PM » Reply

"Being able to board a plane without going through long, tedious security procedures"

That is not nostalgia, that is  wanting our 4th amendment rights back from the evil security state which stole them away from us. The worst thing about 911 was not what the terrorists did it is what the government did. The government is the one who attacked our way of life, NOT the terrorists. The government is the one who stole our freedoms, not the terrorists. The government is the real enemy, not the terrorists.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: 'Make America Great Again' is a Dangerous Political Tool
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory