Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 08:48:03:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653612 Posts in 297943 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Democrats blocking 'common sense' fix for Zika 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 Print
Author Topic: Democrats blocking 'common sense' fix for Zika  (Read 29 times)
wxzyw
"Destroy the seed of evil, or it will grow up to your ruin." Aesop

God Bless People of Good Will

« on: 05 27, 16, 09:44:27:AM » Reply

Greg Corombo

Democrats are insisting that Congress give President Obama every penny he’s asking for to effectively combat the Zika virus in the United States, congressional Republicans are pushing less costly legislation and a veterinarian-turned-congressman says education and common sense will do a lot more to protect women and children than more government spending.

Even more, Democrats are being accused of instinctively pursuing higher spending and impeding an effective response due to their loyalties to the environmental lobby.

Since the Zika threat emerged earlier this year, President Obama has asked for Congress to approve $1.9 billion in spending to assure an effective federal response. The GOP-controlled Senate approved a $1.1 billion package, while the House passed $622 million.

The House total is on top of another half-billion dollars moved around to address Zika.

“The White House, typically, wants to throw money at the situation as a knee-jerk reaction. We’ve already redirected over $500 million earlier this year. That wasn’t new spending. It was redirecting money,” said Rep. Ted Yoho, R-Fla., who worked for many years as a veterinarian before coming to Congress.

“Then we passed another bill of around $600 million as you pointed out,” he told WND and Radio America. “That’s not new money. That’s money coming out of the Ebola account. They have over a billion dollars left in that account.”

Congressional Democrats are unsatisfied, with some insisting they will oppose any amount of money short of what Obama is requesting.

“I would not support inadequate funding to deal with the health-care catastrophe that could develop if we do not tackle the Zika virus in the right way,” said Rep. Xavier Becerra, chairman of the House Democratic Caucus, to reporters.

Get the stunning e-book free from WND, “Emerging Diseases,” by Jane Orient, M.D.

House Democrat Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., also rejects the lower amounts being offered by Republicans.

“They said it’s half a loaf. No, it’s half a shoe. You cannot get to where you need to be with half a shoe,” she said in comments recorded by the Hill.

Yoho said Democrats are locked into a number instead of what will actually reduce the Zika threat.

“To get into an argument of, ‘The president wants to spend more money so that’s right,’ versus just doing a controlled response to this, I think, would be the more prudent thing to do, and I think you’ll get as good if not better results,” Yoho said.

“Throwing money is not the solution. What you have to do is look at vector control, which would be the mosquito and do the proper type of sprayings at the right time of year, have mosquito repellents that are safe and non-toxic for pregnant mothers, and just use the common-sense approaches they we do in any kind of an outbreak.”

In addition to believing Democrats reflexively believe more spending is the best solution to the problem, Yoho said many have no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to Zika.

“I’ve heard congressmen say we’ve got to eliminate that type of mosquito,” he said. “The family it belongs to is called Aedes. They want to eliminate it. It’s impossible. You’re never going to eliminate that.”

But beyond a lack of understanding, Yoho said Democrats are actively undermining the most logical approach to Zika as a result of political loyalties.

“One of the things is to use the insecticides that we know are safe,” Yoho said. “They’ve been out there, but the Democrats up here don’t want to use that because of the environmental concerns. These are mosquito repellents and pesticides that have been used and approved by our EPA as safe and environmentally friendly.”

He said Democrats have concerns about the chemicals hurting the environment, but reiterates the U.S. government disagrees with them.

“They’re claiming there’s toxic environmental effects from that, but again the EPA has signed off on this. The USDA has signed off on this. These are chemicals that have been used for years,” Yoho said.

At the time of this report, House Republicans voted Tuesday to approve a bill loosening restrictions on pesticide regulations to fight Zika. The tally was 258-156, and all but 23 Democrats opposed it. The White House has said it strongly opposes the bill, but President Obama has not indicated he will veto it.

He said the public need to realize there will not be a vaccine available anytime this summer and that common-sense provisions like spraying, wearing insect repellent and removing standing water are all ways every American can help reduce the threat.

“The majority of those have been to another country. I think only a handful of people have been infected in this country,” he said. “Do people need to be screened before they come into this country? Or if they go to another country, do they need to go into a quarantine?”
DaBoz
Contributor

Obama shit on Blacks, They are Arab toilets.

« Reply #1 on: 05 27, 16, 09:45:53:AM » Reply

Thats so they can blame the republicans.
duke_john
Contributor

« Reply #2 on: 05 27, 16, 09:46:03:AM » Reply

Someone on another board said that having more abortion providers is the key.
wvit1001

« Reply #3 on: 05 27, 16, 09:49:03:AM » Reply

Republicans in Congress say the money's not there and have urged the Health and Human Services Department to use money left over from about $7 billion allocated to fight Ebola. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institutes of Health and others there is not leftover money — that all of it is spoken for, and needed to help prevent another Ebola epidemic.

They've scratched up $589 million for now but say it's not nearly enough.

"The American people are counting on the Congress to act. And instead we have gotten bureaucratic excuses from Congress as to why they have done nothing," White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters Tuesday.
wvit1001

« Reply #4 on: 05 27, 16, 09:50:56:AM » Reply

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, a California Republican, said there is enough Zika money for now. "So we'll go through the proper appropriations process this year," he told reporters.

"It's the best way to handle it ... the best place to get the answers," McCarthy said.

That would mean the money couldn't be freed up until the 2017 fiscal year starts in October — and that would be assuming Congress could even agree on a budget, something it has not done since 2010.
wxzyw

« Reply #5 on: 05 27, 16, 09:53:07:AM » Reply

vit, did you read the article? I didn't think you did, that's why you came up with your usual BS.
wvit1001

« Reply #6 on: 05 27, 16, 09:56:41:AM » Reply

yeah I read the article. 
wvit1001

« Reply #7 on: 05 27, 16, 09:58:06:AM » Reply

World Nut Daily is not really a very good source for news xyz, it mostly just publishes tea party idiocy.
wxzyw

« Reply #8 on: 05 27, 16, 10:04:32:AM » Reply

vit, you can't refute WND... so you knock them!

Tells us vit, where WND is wrong.
wxzyw

« Reply #9 on: 05 27, 16, 10:30:39:AM » Reply

“One of the things is to use the insecticides that we know are safe,” Yoho said. “They’ve been out there, but the Democrats up here don’t want to use that because of the environmental concerns. These are mosquito repellents and pesticides that have been used and approved by our EPA as safe and environmentally friendly.”
Sadie402

« Reply #10 on: 05 27, 16, 10:43:47:AM » Reply

Yep.....the government has nerver ever declared a product safe and effective only to find out it was a total disaster years later right?

Fucking morons love to twist to suit their flawed arguments.
wvit1001

« Reply #11 on: 05 27, 16, 10:45:27:AM » Reply

you don't read anything at all do you xyz?

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, a California Republican, said there is enough Zika money for now. "So we'll go through the proper appropriations process this year," he told reporters.

"It's the best way to handle it ... the best place to get the answers," McCarthy said.

That would mean the money couldn't be freed up until the 2017 fiscal year starts in October — and that would be assuming Congress could even agree on a budget, something it has not done since 2010.
Pages: 1 2 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Democrats blocking 'common sense' fix for Zika
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory