Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 10:17:49:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653660 Posts in 297945 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: Just started 15 minutes ago 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4  Print
Author Topic: Just started 15 minutes ago  (Read 2520 times)
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #36 on: 01 23, 16, 06:09:41:PM » Reply

All you need to do is slip on the ice and take a hard fall.  Please be careful and you have done so well to have kept the power.  I felt for sure that you might lose it.

Our nice day yesterday was just a fluke.  We are now being battered by rain again and it's getting very chilly!
luvtimes
Honored Member

« Reply #37 on: 01 23, 16, 08:38:57:PM » Reply

shoveling or blowing prevents the concrete from cracking...

I had to replace a bumper on the car from last winter because I didn't shovel or snow blow better just coming out of the driveway and it was only a tap ....thank the city street blowers shoving it back in my driveway after I shoveled...... well.. words can't express the madness...

you don't want that snow to turn to ice... so little bit by little bit is all you can do... and don't waste the money on salt... it destroys lawn and concrete...
dondc

« Reply #38 on: 01 24, 16, 12:45:15:AM » Reply

I was in Chicago fifteen years ago when they had a record December blizzard.  25 inches.  It didn't make much of an impression, as far a keeping the streets clear and moving around.  But when I was back there three weeks later they found a body in the melting snow, next to his car in a parking lot, and the paper said 19 people had died clearing snow.  Three of them using snow blowers.
Chicago is very flat, 25 inches in Seattle would be the end of civilization. 
My daughter lived across the street from Lake Michigan.  The day I arrived it was 36 degrees and sunny, the lake was water.  Two days later the lake was a big slushy, there was a ten foot wall of ice along the beach from frozen waves.  The Chicago people didn't even seem to notice.  I guess it is what you are used too.  I spent most of my winters in California except for one in Korea and a couple as a kid in Oklahoma.  I'll take California's winters!  I like clear days when I can took at snow in the mountains.  Washington is kinda like that too.
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #39 on: 01 24, 16, 04:52:54:AM » Reply

I agree luv...you leave it there too long  the work is only gonna be harder the next day when it turns to ice not to mention damage like cracks in the concrete. I never use salt. That stuff is so evil!!! I lived in a neighborhood that salted all the sidewalks instead of shoveling and they destroyed it all and it was a big neighborhood.  Either way, you move the same volume of snow. You either do it layer by layer meaning shovel  it once, rest up, shovel it again as oppose to shovel all at once and that is when people get heart attacks. I have been doing 60 to 100 flights of staircases per day and over an hour on the treadmill so yesterday those two hours of shoveling the deck was a piece of cake. But I purposely did not do the driveway because the wind was so high I feared a tree might fall. There was no rush either because today is Sunday and hubby's not coming home because he can't due to the storm...so I can take my time and at least get the part that stays shady.  It's when it slightly melts and refreezes day after day that you get the most damage.
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #40 on: 01 24, 16, 01:33:22:PM » Reply

All clear...driveway, sidewalk, deck and  2 feet all along the back side of the house  and a path to the bird feeder, sump pump and gutter drain holes all clear... :-)
luvtimes
Honored Member

« Reply #41 on: 01 24, 16, 05:38:23:PM » Reply

that's funny don...I was born and raised in Chicago...and left for Annapolis MD... and when it snowed there 1 inch they closed the city down... I didn't know what to think...what??

cause as a little girl in Chicago... we went to school in 2/3 feet of snow... no big deal.. a norm...but they kept us close to our neighborhoods where it was kinda simple to get back and forth...they also have rapid transit... the best to get you back and forth 24/7...didn't need a schedule cause you knew 15 minutes the next bus would come...in any direction...it kept the city streets clear for the most part...

when I left Chicago... I notice that most folks didn't know much about real snow... I mean real snow... but that was not the problem there in Chicago... it was the wind that hurt you bad... I remember I turned the corner one time and you would have thought a sledge hammer slapped me across the face... I guess you learn to wear a mask hat...

the elements... so interesting I say...

so imagine my shock when I lived in California and Puerto Rico... when there was no snow at all...

living in the deep South... you don't worry about snow either... you just worry about floods... help me... I swim but not like that...so back North I found myself...loving all the 4 seasons again... what I didn't know is that where I am now... it freezes... something you never will enjoy under any circumstance....the most awful is the high cost of heat... not in the south or anywhere else in the world do they pay what we pay...

seeking a happy medium...
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #42 on: 01 25, 16, 04:47:55:AM » Reply

I remember growing up in MO near StLouis we would have snow up past the window sills listening to the radio to make sure it was open. The school was always open, you just had to figure out how to get there...one inch here and it shuts down. ONe word luv,  lawsuit.  Don't know if that is spelled right...I have no spell check.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4  Print 
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: Just started 15 minutes ago
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory