Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 19, 24, 03:40:48:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2660743 Posts in 298616 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Record 94,031,000 Americans Not in Labor Force 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Print
Author Topic: Record 94,031,000 Americans Not in Labor Force  (Read 655 times)
wxzyw
"Destroy the seed of evil, or it will grow up to your ruin." Aesop

God Bless People of Good Will

« on: 09 04, 15, 10:26:18:AM » Reply

(CNSNews.com) - A record 94,031,000 Americans were not in the American labor force last month -- 261,000 more than July -- and the labor force participation rate stayed stuck at 62.6 percent, a 38-year low, for a third straight month in August, the Labor Department reported on Friday, as the nation heads into the Labor Day weekend.

The number of Americans not in the labor force has continued to rise, partly because of retiring baby-boomers and fewer workers entering the workforce.

In August, according to BLS, the nation’s civilian noninstitutional population, consisting of all people 16 or older who were not in the military or an institution, reached 251,096,000. Of those, 157,065,000 participated in the labor force by either holding a job or actively seeking one.

The 157,065,000 who participated in the labor force equaled only 62.6 percent of the 251,096,000 civilian noninstitutional population -- the same as it was in July and June. Not since October 1977, when the participation rate dropped to 62.4, has the percentage been this low.

Historical perspective

In January 1948 -- the first year the data was recorded -- 88.7 percent of men, aged 20 and older, were participating in the U.S. labor force. The rate first dipped below 80 percent in November 1975 (79.9%), spiraling steadily downward through August 2015, when 71.5 percent of men 20 and older were participating in the labor force.

It's the opposite story for women 20 and older: In 1948, a time when one-earner incomes were generally sufficient to support the family, only 31 percent of  women participated in the workforce. In May 1966, the rate climbed above 40 percent for the first time; it broke 50 percent in October 1978; and 60 percent in July 1996.

When Barack Obama took office in January 2009, 60.9 percent of women were particiating in the labor force, but after rising somewhat in that economically turbulent year, the particpation rate for women started heading down. Last month, it stood at 58.2 percent.

Other notes from Friday's jobs report:

-- In August, the economy added 173,000 jobs, and the uemmployment rate dropped a tenth of a point to 5.1 percent from 5.2 percent. Job gains occurred in health care and social assistance and in financial activities. Manufacturing and mining lost jobs.

-- Among the major demographic groups, the unemployment rate for whites declined to 4.4 percent in August. The rates for adult men (4.7 percent), adult women (4.7 percent), teenagers (16.9 percent), blacks (9.5 percent), Asians (3.5 percent), and Hispanics (6.6 percent) showed little change in August.

-- The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) held at 2.2 million in August and accounted for 27.7 percent of the unemployed. Over the past 12 months, the number of long-term unemployed is down by 779,000.

--- The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (sometimes referred to as involuntary part-time workers) ticked up in August to 6,483,000, 158,000 more than the 6,325,000 recorded in July. These individuals, who would have preferred full-time employment, were working part time because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to find a full-time job.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/record-94031000-americans-not-labor-force-participation-rate-stuck-38-year
wvit1001

« Reply #1 on: 09 04, 15, 10:31:21:AM » Reply

get those old coots back to work, retirement is for sissies.  and while your at it get all those disabled people out there earning their keep.
wxzyw

« Reply #2 on: 09 04, 15, 10:33:51:AM » Reply

get those old coots back to work, retirement is for sissies.  and while your at it get all those disabled people out there earning their keep.

May you know what it's like to be one of the suffering 94 million.

sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« Reply #3 on: 09 04, 15, 10:35:14:AM » Reply

The stock market is not happy today.

Dow plunges more than 200 points after jobs data

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2015/09/04/dow-falls--wall-street-awaits-job-report-and-fed-impact/71692114/
wxzyw

« Reply #4 on: 09 04, 15, 10:37:12:AM » Reply

Seriously... Is this the beginning of what we reap for electing 0bama?

wvit1001

« Reply #5 on: 09 04, 15, 10:37:40:AM » Reply

I know what it's like xyz.  I work with very very poor neighborhoods and see the results of poverty all the time.

Idiots like you don't help anything at all.
caserio1

« Reply #6 on: 09 04, 15, 10:40:02:AM » Reply

the traditional eskimos have the right idea

when a person is no longer productive he/she is left out on the ice with no clothing

works every time
D2D
Republicans believe every day is the fourth of July! Democrats believe every day is April 15!

#SayHisName Cannon Hinnant

« Reply #7 on: 09 04, 15, 10:41:58:AM » Reply

Liar!

I have repeatedly proven that asinine assertion wrong!

Why are you against the disabled being employed?

Why do you hate the ADA?

I know what it's like xyz.  I work with very very poor neighborhoods and see the results of poverty all the time.

Idiots like you don't help anything at all.
If government anti poverty programs worked there would be no poverty today!

Instead after billions of dollars spent the poverty rate remains the same!

the traditional eskimos have the right idea

when a person is no longer productive he/she is left out on the ice with no clothing

works every time
Wow!

The true nature of Caserio is exposed for all to see!
wxzyw

« Reply #8 on: 09 04, 15, 10:43:07:AM » Reply

vit is a troll who doesn't give a damn about the poor, and he knows it... that's why leftists are so vile... they accuse others of their own faults.

wvit1001

« Reply #9 on: 09 04, 15, 10:52:20:AM » Reply

xyz thinks that anyone who disagree with her and actually references real world facts is a troll.

why are you such a gullible old coot xyz?
wxzyw

« Reply #10 on: 09 04, 15, 11:06:55:AM » Reply

vit is a troll....... I highly doubt that anyone with an ounce of decency can't recognize the fact that vit is a low-life troll.... along with cas and hooser.

Does anyone who has an iota of decency refute this fact?

OBTW: we all know they are low-life liars... we really do know this... so why do some feel a need to out trolls when they've already outted themselves?

D2D
Republicans believe every day is the fourth of July! Democrats believe every day is April 15!

#SayHisName Cannon Hinnant

« Reply #11 on: 09 04, 15, 11:07:46:AM » Reply

Yet Wvit you are the one who knowingly repeats lies over and over, again!
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Record 94,031,000 Americans Not in Labor Force
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory