Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 26, 24, 06:39:10:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2663122 Posts in 298842 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Why Carry a Gun? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Why Carry a Gun?  (Read 1957 times)
sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« Reply #36 on: 07 29, 15, 01:18:53:PM » Reply

and yet no real increase in stories of people in public saving anybody in public with their gun, but way more stories of guns going off accidentally in public....

One of the anti-gun crowds’ favorite arguments is that guns are seldom used in self-defense and that people are more likely to hurt themselves, than to protect themselves, with guns. This is a classic fallacy that arises from the fact that newspapers don’t report on crimes that never happened. What they do report are actual crimes and bizarre self-defense accidents. The Obama mandated gun study, though, shows that defensive uses of guns far outweigh gun crimes, with the implication being that, without defensively-used guns, there would have been between 500,000 to 3 million more crimes in America:

Defensive use of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence […]. Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms per year.

And finally, what’s true for women’s self-defense classes is also true for guns. One of the things women are always told in self-defense classes is that, if you put up a vigorous fight against an assailant, you’re more likely to get hurt (punched, stabbed, or even shot), but you’re much less likely to end up dead. Fighting has real risks, but being a victim has greater risks. When it comes to using guns defensively, the statistics are even better, because it’s possible that you’ll escape entirely uninjured:

Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns […] have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.

The study’s not all good, of course. It shows that young black men in America are dying at staggering rates from gun crime – but the fact that these deaths are so tightly focused indicates that this is a cultural problem, not a gun problem. Still, if one could remove guns from their hands, more would survive. The only thing is that the gun grabbing legislation used in large, Democrat-run urban areas are counterproductive, because they actually put more guns in gang-members hands.

Maybe that’s why President Obama, who issued an executive order mandating this study, has been ignoring it.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=Obama%27s+gun+study&fr2=p%3Afp%2Cm%3Asb&hspart=frontier&hsimp=yhs-frontier1&type=frontier_pc_homerun_portal
Jw2

DJB is a closet homo

« Reply #37 on: 07 29, 15, 01:32:11:PM » Reply

gee sweetiepie...you rail against the accuracy of thousands of studies on global climate change.

sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« Reply #38 on: 07 29, 15, 01:49:42:PM » Reply

Link, please?   I remember it has been you and wvit who rail against the accuracy of scientific studies around the globe about climate change when it is not supporting your agenda.

What does this have to do with Obama's mandated gun study?   You do not like the outcome, JW?
Jw2

DJB is a closet homo

« Reply #39 on: 07 29, 15, 02:36:03:PM » Reply

sorry, my mistake to try to relate the equation of studies.

please explain what your purpose in posting a link of search results on the gun study ordered by President Obama.

he's the Chief Executive.  Issuing an executive order to a federal agency is not "mandating".

All the story links on the first page has a decidedly pro-gun stand from typical right-wing media.  don't have time to read them all.  selected three at random.  they appear to be all opinion pieces, not news articles.

there's a difference between facts and opinions.

the post question is why carry a gun?

I haven't any need or desire.  Every once in awhile (maybe 6x/year), I join some folks (cop friends) at the new shooting range.  Illinois requires a FOID card and one can rent or "test-fire" guns from the shop, so I don't own any guns.  I'm pretty bad marksman and I'm not going to pay the $$ to be more proficient. 

I don't fear people.  I have been robbed at gun point - twice in 40 years.

suicide by gun is a problem.  if one doesn't have a gun...it's hard to effectivly commit suicide with one.

if you own a gun, your statisticaly chances of suicide, of killing a family member or having a member of your household accidentially getting shot are significantly increased...vs not having a gun in the home.  fact.

caserio1

« Reply #40 on: 07 29, 15, 02:42:06:PM » Reply

that shooter will miss his brain by an inch but he will make himself blind

unless he moves the gun
sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« Reply #41 on: 07 29, 15, 02:48:41:PM » Reply

Issuing an executive order to a federal agency is not "mandating".

ROFL...   You really believe that, JW?
wvit1001

« Reply #42 on: 07 29, 15, 03:08:18:PM » Reply

Executive orders. Are clarifications of existing laws  not anything new.
sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« Reply #43 on: 07 29, 15, 03:31:49:PM » Reply

Obama's mandate of his gun study was not a clarification of law.   However, it did shine a light on why some gun control laws have had a negative impact on society with crime.

Maybe that’s why Obama, who issued an executive order mandating this study, has been ignoring it.
Local5th

God is Great Beer is Good and People are Crazy

« Reply #44 on: 07 29, 15, 04:03:29:PM » Reply

Guns most deadly choice in suicide attempts
Yes guns are the most deadly choice but that has nothing to do with the problem of suicide. Japan has no guns but their successful suicide rate is twice ours.
caserio1

« Reply #45 on: 07 29, 15, 04:05:26:PM » Reply

but but

in japan suicide is a religious rite
HK91-762mm

FreePeople are Not Equal,Equal people are Not Free

« Reply #46 on: 07 29, 15, 04:14:47:PM » Reply

Guns most deadly choice in suicide attempts
Yes guns are the most deadly choice but that has nothing to do with the problem of suicide. Japan has no guns but their successful suicide rate is twice ours.

^^^^^^^

THIS!!!!

SO==Im guessing cas objects to a sick person taking themselves out instead of suffering to the end is Not ok--BUT SUPPORTS KILLING FETUSES-!

I just stopped at the Wife's Massage Spa and her car is the only one in the Professional center --I worry about her working till 8PM if the business next to her are closed -Prime Candidate For an attack ..
So Tomorrow Im going to the Gun shop I found 3 miles up the road that has CCW permit training classes and sign us both up...  You dont need a permit in WV to carry a pistol openly But do so for CCW!!   I have a Nice S+W 38 snub nose she can keep in the store under a stack of towels and If someone attacks her she Can be a Survivor not a victim..  Pisses me that they wont take my NY permit as proof of training requirements as NY will not honor a WV CCW permit so WV says screw ny we wont honor yours !

* Tori-Nonaka-450x308.jpg (7.58 KB, 450x308 - viewed 20 times.)
caserio1

« Reply #47 on: 07 29, 15, 04:21:10:PM » Reply

flunked reading , I see

yer wv examiner took one look at you and heard three words

that was enough to do what he did

doan blame him
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Why Carry a Gun?
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory