Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 25, 24, 01:19:39:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2662681 Posts in 298803 Topics by 307 Members
Latest Member: northern pharmacy canada
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: We have a bee invasion... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: We have a bee invasion...  (Read 416 times)
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« on: 04 19, 15, 09:02:55:PM » Reply

I have to find a bee service that will come out and take them off my hands.  I think they are immature bumbles, so we don't want to destroy them.  But, I want to keep my birdhouse usable.  The juncos will be showing up soon and might want to build a nest again this year.

* P1040422.JPG (128.18 KB, 640x480 - viewed 32 times.)

* P1040423.JPG (152 KB, 640x480 - viewed 34 times.)

* P1040469.JPG (129.64 KB, 640x480 - viewed 30 times.)
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #1 on: 04 20, 15, 05:27:03:AM » Reply

Cute little bees. You may have to get a new bird house.
emilyB
Contributor

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength

« Reply #2 on: 04 20, 15, 11:57:51:AM » Reply

We were working in the garden and then getting the motorhome ready for a week's trip to the beach when we suddenly realized there were bees everywhere.  There were even some that flew in the motorhome.  We managed to drive them out but they were all over the place.  It felt like Planet of the Bees!
Jim
When someone claims to have an Open Mind they are soon shocked, dismayed, and offended that there actually are other views.
Contributor

What would they do without Anecdotals or Snark

« Reply #3 on: 04 20, 15, 09:11:02:PM » Reply

Try not to kill them, just move them elsewhere. Unless you have a garden you want to bloom properly, that is... :- )
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #4 on: 04 20, 15, 09:18:34:PM » Reply

Calls to 3 different beekeepers who supposedly remove them and not one callback...

Since they're probably bumbles, we don't want to hurt them, so I put another shepherd's hook up in the far back yard and tonight after it cools down, I plan to cover the hole w/ some tape, then move the birdhouse back there.  And of course, remove the tape afterward.  I bought another birdhouse that hopefully the juncos will like...

I agree Jim.  We don't mind swatting the wasps and hornets, but the mason, miner, and bumblebees around us, we leave alone when possible.  The reason I need this hive removed is because it's right next to our front door. 

* P1040476.JPG (154.5 KB, 640x480 - viewed 34 times.)
emilyB
Contributor

« Reply #5 on: 04 20, 15, 09:50:41:PM » Reply

I'd never kill a bee.  I have a hard time killing anything - even spiders which freak me out.
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #6 on: 04 21, 15, 03:47:50:AM » Reply

I have no problem killing bugs, if they invade my home or attack me.  I had to eradicate a swarm of hornets that was setting up house in the garden shed...

I just came in from moving the nest...what a scary process.  I covered the hole with tape, but the minute I did, the colony went nuts.  I don't know how many are in there but it sounded like a trillion!  I had to nip off the ziptie I had holding it steady onto the shepard's hook, that drove them even crazier, but I got it moved.  I am too scared now to pull the tape off...LOL  I will wait till hubby gets home (working OT) to see if he's brave enough.  I just hope none of them are stuck to the tape...
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #7 on: 04 21, 15, 10:59:47:AM » Reply

I had to wait for hubby to rescue me...LOL

He got home about 1 am and I told him my plight.  He dutifully took his flashlight out and did the deed.  He said there was one bee sitting right on the edge of the hole, like a sentry.  He simply stepped back and he could hear the buzzing, but no one flew out.  I'm glad we did it at night...
sunshine
Contributor

« Reply #8 on: 04 21, 15, 11:00:12:AM » Reply

I have no problem squashing a spider.
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #9 on: 04 21, 15, 12:17:46:PM » Reply

Well, now I'm confused.  Hubby just called me outside and there are number of these bumbles still milling around the old area...why?

Wahhhhhhhhhhhh, I don't want bees near my front door!
takncarabizniz
Contributor

« Reply #10 on: 04 21, 15, 01:05:03:PM » Reply

I hung up the new birdhouse in my Japanese Maple.  I think it's well protected from the weather and I've never seen the bees milling around this tree...keeping my fingers crossed.  I'm still peeved that not one of the beepeople called back.  You'd think, as vital as bees are, they would jump all over free ones...

* P1040478.JPG (162.5 KB, 640x480 - viewed 33 times.)
emilyB
Contributor

« Reply #11 on: 04 21, 15, 10:48:25:PM » Reply

Hornets' stings are so painful.  One of the reasons I have a hard time killing them is that I very often miss with the fly swatter and then they come after me.  I must admit I do get spiders in a sheet of paper towel and shake them out in the garden.

We have bees everywhere this year.  Our neighbor has a hive and he gave us some honey which is quite different from store bought.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: We have a bee invasion...
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory