Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 06:43:23:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653367 Posts in 297919 Topics by 308 Members
Latest Member: JerryEcold
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: linking school funding to student performance 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 Print
Author Topic: linking school funding to student performance  (Read 310 times)
wvit1001

« on: 01 31, 15, 03:45:44:PM » Reply

Brownback proposes linking school funding to student performance

Against the backdrop of a recent court ruling that schools are unconstitutionally underfunded, Brownback criticized the current school funding formula. It was designed to provide educational equity across diverse populations by putting more money in schools that have high percentages of at-risk, poor, rural and other harder-to-serve students.

“It’s all based on number of pupils, and then if you move children long distances, if you’ve got a high-density school, if you’ve got a low-density school, if you’ve got a this, if you’ve got a that, you’ve got all these weightings that each child is worth then 1.2, 1.5 (times the regular base funding), but nothing that’s tied to performance,” Brownback said.

Senate Minority Leader Anthony Hensley, D-Topeka, said the governor’s comments “really didn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.”

Hensley said the current finance formula meets court muster for fairness, but the problem is the Legislature doesn’t fully fund it.

Both a three-judge school finance court and the state Supreme Court have emphasized that the constitution requires the state to provide funds to equalize educational opportunity for students in poorer school districts.

Hensley said rewarding high-performing school districts, which also tend to be the richer ones, would appear to do the opposite.

“I presume in Sam Brownback’s view of the world that’s the way it will be, but that will not meet with favor from the courts,” he said.

Wichita school board member Lynn Rogers, the board’s point man on finance issues, said he agrees with Brownback’s goals of students meeting grade levels and leaving high school prepared for college or the workforce.

“But it takes money to do that,” Rogers said. “There’s scientific evidence that justifies the cost behind those weightings. It takes more money to educate the kids of poverty. It takes more money when you’re in a high-density poverty school, all those kinds of things.

“If we fund and we provide the services for kids of poverty, we get results,” he added. “It’s a new group of kids that come every year, so if you penalize based on last year’s kids, next year’s kids aren’t going to get the services they need to do well.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article8639078.html#storylink=cpy
Byteryder
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ante omnia armari

« Reply #1 on: 01 31, 15, 04:00:34:PM » Reply

Have you ever told the board what your interest is in Kansas Politics?
wvit1001

« Reply #2 on: 01 31, 15, 04:02:27:PM » Reply

It's just a microcosm of what would happen if republinuts got their way with the entire country.
Truman62

MAGA Policies bring Misery and Death to America!

« Reply #3 on: 01 31, 15, 04:16:47:PM » Reply

Don't forget their drive to subsidize rich folks moving their kids into Private Parochial schools, by calling it school choice with vouchers.

Lower classes and most of the middle class will NOT have enough money to move their kids anywhere, so will be stuck at under performing schools, who will have their budgets cut again and again and again.

Follow the Repocon model to have an educational system that will ensure idiocy across America!
Byteryder
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ante omnia armari

« Reply #4 on: 01 31, 15, 04:19:24:PM » Reply

Ahhh.  So your only interest is Political in that the administration in the State is Republican.
wvit1001

« Reply #5 on: 01 31, 15, 04:21:15:PM » Reply

yes, an example of repubinut policy in action.
littleeye
Honored Member

« Reply #6 on: 01 31, 15, 04:57:09:PM » Reply

Taxes cannot replace good parenting. You want your child to succeed, try being an involved parent. Taxes will make no differance in under that senario.
wvit1001

« Reply #7 on: 01 31, 15, 05:21:57:PM » Reply

that sounds good and I'm sure you feel that way but for the good of our society we cannot just abandon people like that.  An educated society will always be better than a less educated one. 
littleeye
Honored Member

« Reply #8 on: 01 31, 15, 05:25:33:PM » Reply

Children who are the victims of feckless parents will not find the public school bureaucracy an empathetic entity.
wvit1001

« Reply #9 on: 01 31, 15, 05:38:03:PM » Reply

but they will get some education and that's good for all of us, that's why we have public education in the first place.
littleeye
Honored Member

« Reply #10 on: 01 31, 15, 05:56:53:PM » Reply

We have a horrific drop out rate in our public schools. The problem lies with feckless parents and feckless public school employess, especially in those districts control by black Democrats.
upyrwazoo
Contributor

« Reply #11 on: 01 31, 15, 05:59:38:PM » Reply

NOW IN A DECIDEDLY DEMOCRATIC STATE LIKE NEW YORK THE AVERAGE COST PER PUPIL IS $6000.00 WITH SPECIAL NEEDS OR UNDER PERFORMING SCHOOLS IT RISES TO $8000.00 PER PUPIL YET IN THE CITY OF BUFFALO THE AVERAGE COST PER PUPIL IS
$12000.00 AND IT HAS THE LOWEST ACHIEVEMENT RATE IN THE STATE? THUS WE CAN BURY THE MONEY FACTOR! THIS WHILE THE MEMBERS OF THE TEACHERS UNION ARE RUSHING TO GET FREE COSMETIC SURGERY WHICH IS COVERED UNDER THEIR CONTRACT AND THEY KNOW THEY WILL LOSE IT IN THE NEXT. BUT I HAVE YET TO HAVE IT EXPLAINED TO ME HOW BIGGER BOOBS OR BUTTS OR LIPS MAKE FOR BETTER STUDENTS YET THE TEACHERS ALWAYS SAY "IT'S FOR THE KIDS" REALLY. BUT NOW THE DEMOCRATIC GOVERNOR IS THREATENING TO PULL OUT ALL FUNDING UNLESS THEY IMPROVE, AND YET THEY RESIST, SO I GUESS IT'S REALLY NOT "FOR THE KIDS" IS IT?
Pages: 1 2 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: linking school funding to student performance
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory