Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 24, 24, 05:17:17:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2662510 Posts in 298791 Topics by 307 Members
Latest Member: northern pharmacy canada
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: US rejects Cuba demand to hand back Guantanamo Bay base 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: US rejects Cuba demand to hand back Guantanamo Bay base  (Read 43 times)
wvit1001

« on: 01 31, 15, 01:12:55:PM » Reply

Cuban President Raul Castro included the demand in a speech on Wednesday, calling also for the US trade embargo to be lifted.

US President Barack Obama "does believe that the prison at Guantanamo Bay should be closed down... but not the naval base", the White House said.

The land on which the base stands was leased to the US by Cuba in 1903.

The Cuban government which came to power in the revolution of 1959 has long demanded its return, saying it is a violation of international law, but the US points to a legal provision making the lease permanent unless it is terminated by mutual agreement.

Last month the two countries announced a thaw in relations, agreeing to restore diplomatic ties severed in 1961. Delegations have begun negotiating the re-establishment of embassies.

However in a speech on Wednesday, Mr Castro said: "The re-establishment of diplomatic relations is the start of a process of normalising bilateral relations.

"But this will not be possible while the blockade still exists, while they don't give back the territory illegally occupied by the Guantanamo naval base."

This condition was rejected by White House spokesman Josh Earnest in remarks to the media on Thursday.

He agreed that President Obama was seeking to shut the prison at Guantanamo Bay, as it "only serves as a recruiting tool for al-Qaeda and other extremist organisations".

"But the naval base is not something that we believe should be closed," he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-31059030
jst-the-fax
Evil does not exist within a gun. It exists in the minds and hearts of those who pull the trigger for evil purposes.---Laus Deo
Contributor

http://purebredcatrescue.org/

« Reply #1 on: 01 31, 15, 01:16:20:PM » Reply

Giving Joint Base Guantanamo back to Cuba has always been the long term plan of dictator obama! Are you just now figuring that out?
WWV10MHZ
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

LIBERALISM - Spawned by SATAN!

« Reply #2 on: 01 31, 15, 01:22:32:PM » Reply

When America won Cuba's freedom from Spain in the Spanish-American War, we were given Gitmo as a way of thanking us for their freedom.

There would be no giving back something we earned.
wvit1001

« Reply #3 on: 01 31, 15, 01:22:44:PM » Reply

US President Barack Obama "does believe that the prison at Guantanamo Bay should be closed down... but not the naval base", the White House said.
jst-the-fax
Evil does not exist within a gun. It exists in the minds and hearts of those who pull the trigger for evil purposes.---Laus Deo
Contributor

« Reply #4 on: 01 31, 15, 01:27:03:PM » Reply

Joint Base Guantanamo will be a bargaining chip...just wait and see!
Truman62

MAGA Policies bring Misery and Death to America!

« Reply #5 on: 01 31, 15, 01:31:03:PM » Reply

Just THINK how much money we could save if we closed it and gave it back...
jst-the-fax
Contributor

« Reply #6 on: 01 31, 15, 01:36:35:PM » Reply

Davik,

Let the soviets or red chinese pay for it....i think you're on too something?
sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« Reply #7 on: 01 31, 15, 02:47:52:PM » Reply

Obama's Cuba initiative backfires big-time                              
- 1/30/15

Raúl Castro knows a sucker when he sees one.

Alastair Jamieson reports for NBC News:

Cuban President Raul Castro has demanded that the United States hand back its Guantanamo Bay military base - an apparent bargaining tool in the restoration of full diplomatic relations between the countries.
Castro also asked for a complete lifting of the decades-old trade embargo and for compensation for its effects, saying that without these changes the recent diplomatic thaw "wouldn't make any sense."

Anywhere other than on Planet Obama, Cuba receiving diplomatic recognition for the United States would be a huge boon for the Castro dictatorship.  He should be on his knees giving thanks, but instead he is making demands – patently ridiculous ones – as a condition of receiving what he really, really wants.  And, as the TV pitchmen say, “wait, there’s more!”

More
jst-the-fax
Contributor

« Reply #8 on: 01 31, 15, 03:23:07:PM » Reply

Sweetwater,
Bookmark this wvit rant...as i predict dictator obama will offer Joint Base Guantanamo, to the Communist...with the soviets and or red chinese pulling in within 10 minutes after we leave.
wvit1001

« Reply #9 on: 01 31, 15, 03:39:18:PM » Reply

I'll take that bet faxy.  all I require is an acknowledgement from you that you were wrong when it doesn't happen.
jst-the-fax
Contributor

« Reply #10 on: 01 31, 15, 06:14:29:PM » Reply

Ms wvit,
Go ahead and bookmark my comment...as i have a whole bookmark folder for you!
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: US rejects Cuba demand to hand back Guantanamo Bay base
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory