Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 19, 24, 02:52:09:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2660674 Posts in 298614 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: New EPA Standards Label Toxic Coal Ash Non-Hazardous 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: New EPA Standards Label Toxic Coal Ash Non-Hazardous  (Read 34 times)
wvit1001

« on: 12 20, 14, 12:19:22:PM » Reply

Doesn't this fly right in the face of all you conservonuts ideas about how the EPA is against business?

The Environmental Protection Agency has issued new national standards designating coal ash – a nearly ubiquitous byproduct of coal-fired power plants that contains arsenic and lead – as non-hazardous waste.

NPR's Christopher Joyce reports that coal-fired power plants produce more than 130 million tons of the coal ash each year and they have long stored millions of tons of it in giant ponds.

But many of those ponds have failed in recent years, allowing contaminated water to get into rivers and streams, and ultimately into drinking water.

Environmental groups sued the EPA to designate coal as a hazardous waste, which would require strict rules for its care, Christopher says.

But instead, the EPA has decided to treat it more like ordinary household garbage.

"The Environmental Protection Agency said in a call with reporters Friday that the record did not support a hazardous classification. The agency said the steps they were taking would protect communities from the risks associated with coal ash waste sites and hold the companies operating them accountable.

"'It does what we hoped to accomplish ... in a very aggressive but reasonable and pragmatic way,' said EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy."

Nonetheless, the new EPA rules will set standards for how coal ash ponds are built.

Christopher reports that the EPA will require companies to disclose their coal ash storage plans to the public. The agency says the public can then take legal action if companies don't meet the EPA standards.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/19/371952760/new-epa-standards-label-toxic-coal-ash-non-hazardous
D2D
Republicans believe every day is the fourth of July! Democrats believe every day is April 15!

#SayHisName Cannon Hinnant

« Reply #1 on: 12 20, 14, 12:44:50:PM » Reply

Say hello to higher energy costs and greater unemployment brought to the iron fist of the environazis known as the EPA!
wvit1001

« Reply #2 on: 12 20, 14, 12:46:46:PM » Reply

so you don't think someone needs to have oversight on how coal ash is stored by these companies?  You do know that there have been huge problems with such storage don't you D2
D2D
Republicans believe every day is the fourth of July! Democrats believe every day is April 15!

#SayHisName Cannon Hinnant

« Reply #3 on: 12 20, 14, 01:01:54:PM » Reply

Sure they have had some problems with aging storage but all things that age become more prone to failure!

Why don't you know that!

This is just another front in the war against coal!

The end result will be ever higher cost energy, ever higher unemployment and ever higher dependence which is Obama's goal!
wvit1001

« Reply #4 on: 12 20, 14, 01:16:40:PM » Reply

aging storage?  In NC they just had their biggest leak of coal ash ever from a storage pond that was still being used.  And they had warning that it could happen by a consultant they had hired years ago but Duke Power chose to ignore the warning.
seahooker

« Reply #5 on: 12 20, 14, 01:18:40:PM » Reply

this was politically expedient way to appease the coal miner's union people. they are trying not to lose that block of voters!
wvit1001

« Reply #6 on: 12 20, 14, 01:58:01:PM » Reply

or, they base their rulings on science and not on politics.  which is much more likely hooker.
seahooker

« Reply #7 on: 12 20, 14, 02:03:27:PM » Reply

wit, everything politicians do is based on politics, they don't really give a rat's ass about the public.
wvit1001

« Reply #8 on: 12 20, 14, 02:51:31:PM » Reply

So you agree that this decision goes against everything you've been lead to believe about the EPA and you're struggling to find a way to maintain your beliefs.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: New EPA Standards Label Toxic Coal Ash Non-Hazardous
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory