Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 24, 09:22:03:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2660984 Posts in 298646 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: she hates GOP for being intolerant and polarizing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 Print
Author Topic: she hates GOP for being intolerant and polarizing  (Read 58 times)
wvit1001

« on: 12 19, 14, 10:58:46:AM » Reply

Republicans want professor fired for saying she hates GOP for being intolerant and polarizing

There’s a reason college professors historically were given tenure. It was so they couldn’t be fired for politically unpopular views.

There have been times when intellectuals were fired, persecuted, even killed for unpopular views. Views such as the once-horrifying ideas that blacks were the intellectual and social equals of whites or that women should have the right to vote.

Well, every social and scientific advance has started with an unpopular idea, back to that crazy guy who thought the world went around the sun. That doesn’t mean lots of controversial ideas aren’t stupid.

Many are. But what makes America special is that we have a complete right to express them, thanks to the First Amendment to our Constitution. “Congress shall make no law … abridging freedom of speech or the press,” et cetera.

Well, apparently state Republican Party Chair Bobby Schostak hasn’t read the Constitution. He and other Republicans want University of Michigan Professor Susan Douglas, a nationally respected communications scholar, forced to resign for a column on a website called In These Times.

The column begins: “I hate Republicans.

“I can’t stand the thought of having to spend the next two years watching Mitch McConnell, John Boehner, Ted Cruz … or any of the legions of other blowhards denying climate change, thwarting immigration reform, or championing fetal ‘personhood.’"

While this has given some people fits, it seems clear that many of those denouncing the column haven’t actually read much of it. Schostak is clearly one of these.

Forgetting the First Amendment, he says “it should not be tolerated by the University of Michigan.” And he denounces Douglas for supposedly “isolating students because of their political ideology.”

She doesn’t do that.

Douglas’s column is in fact a denunciation of polarization and intolerance. She blames today’s Republican Party for being most guilty of this, and puts forth evidence to support this claim.

But she clearly isn’t saying she hates Republicans in the way Nazis hated Jews. She hates the spirit of intolerance, dogmatism, and intellectual rigidity coming from so many Republicans today.

Years ago, she notes, she worked for the Republican leader in the Rhode Island State Senate, and so admired and respected him she could have imagined marrying him had he been younger.

Today, the nation is far more polarized, something she laments. Her column is a compelling argument that the GOP is most guilty of this. Douglas ends by saying she misses the moderate, rational, reasonable Republicans she once knew, “and the civilized discourse and political accomplishments they made possible.”

You can agree, or not.

http://michiganradio.org/post/republicans-want-professor-fired-saying-she-hates-gop-being-intolerant-and-polarizing
D2D
Republicans believe every day is the fourth of July! Democrats believe every day is April 15!

#SayHisName Cannon Hinnant

« Reply #1 on: 12 19, 14, 11:00:06:AM » Reply

Actually, she and democrats in general are intolerant and polarizing!

Clearly, she lied in an effort to do damage to conservatives!
jst-the-fax
Evil does not exist within a gun. It exists in the minds and hearts of those who pull the trigger for evil purposes.---Laus Deo
Contributor

http://purebredcatrescue.org/

« Reply #2 on: 12 19, 14, 11:02:01:AM » Reply

Wvit,
Wow...so I guess the real issue is her hate for different ideas and the First Amendment?
wvit1001

« Reply #3 on: 12 19, 14, 11:04:19:AM » Reply

no, her problem is with goofs like you and D2 who knowingly promote bigotry and bullshit.
D2D
Republicans believe every day is the fourth of July! Democrats believe every day is April 15!

« Reply #4 on: 12 19, 14, 11:05:55:AM » Reply

The only bigotry and bullshit is yours, Wvit!
wvit1001

« Reply #5 on: 12 19, 14, 11:09:17:AM » Reply

'fraid not D2.  You preach false information and bigotry all the time.
D2D

« Reply #6 on: 12 19, 14, 11:12:55:AM » Reply

Prove it!

Quote and link, please!
sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« Reply #7 on: 12 19, 14, 11:16:32:AM » Reply

Obviously she is intolerant, as are most on the left in academia, which has been a problem with our children getting a fair and balanced education.   They need to leave their bigotry at home or find another vocation.
wvit1001

« Reply #8 on: 12 19, 14, 11:17:45:AM » Reply

I don't have to prove it, you prove it everyday with you nuttyness and bigotry.  And now another goofball, sweaty, shows up to add his idiocy to the mix.
D2D

« Reply #9 on: 12 19, 14, 11:20:04:AM » Reply

Wvit admits he has no proof!

Just another fallacious allegation from a liberal for whom the truth is anathema!
wvit1001

« Reply #10 on: 12 19, 14, 11:37:52:AM » Reply

like I said D2, you prove it everyday.
D2D

« Reply #11 on: 12 19, 14, 11:45:27:AM » Reply

Wvit admits he has no proof!

Just another fallacious allegation from a liberal for whom the truth is anathema!
Pages: 1 2 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: she hates GOP for being intolerant and polarizing
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory