Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 16, 24, 05:08:18:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2659662 Posts in 298514 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Does the Fifth Amendment Grand-Jury Protection Still Matter? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Does the Fifth Amendment Grand-Jury Protection Still Matter?  (Read 31 times)
John Adams
Before a free people can be oppressed they must first be idealogically disarmed....

Repeal the 17th Amendment, No direct elections

« on: 11 26, 14, 06:12:33:PM » Reply

A number of commentators have argued tonight, with no challenge by their media interviewers, that even if the evidence was insufficient to indict Officer Darren Wilson, justice would have been better served if the grand jury had indicted anyway. That way, the reasoning goes, we could have had a public trial in the light of day where everyone could have seen that the case was insufficient. That, we are to believe, would have made it easier for the community to accept the result.

The interests of the community, however, are not the only ones in the equation, much less the most important ones. What about the interests of the suspect? Those are the interests the Constitution addresses.

The Fifth Amendment states: “No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury.”

The Constitution does not consider the grand jury to be a rubber stamp. It is a core protection. It stands as the buffer between the government prosecutor and the citizen-suspect; it safeguards Americans, who are presumed innocent, from being subjected to the anxiety, infamy and expense of a trial unless there is probable cause to believe they have committed a serious offense.

And put aside the constitutional argument. Rabble-rousers want Wilson indicted, despite the lack of probable-cause evidence, on the theory that it would be more just to have a public trial in a case where a man has lost his life. But why would it not be equally justifiable to argue that, because a man has lost his life, the ultimate trial jury should also ignore the law and convict, despite an even more stark lack of murder evidence beyond a reasonable doubt? At what point do we stop enabling the grievance industry to override our core constitutional protections?

If we are going to uphold our Constitution, it does not matter that thoughtful commentators suppose a public trial would best serve the community. The Fifth Amendment holds that a person has the right not to be subjected to a public trial – i.e., the right not to be indicted — unless the state can prove to a grand jury that there is probable cause to believe he committed a crime.

Officer Wilson had a constitutional right not to be indicted in the absence of sufficient evidence. That right to individual liberty outweighs the media’s abstract claim that a public trial would serve the public interest.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/393439/does-fifth-amendment-grand-jury-protection-still-matter-andrew-c-mccarthy#!
JigSaw-II
I know you know what I think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

A goal without a plan, is just a wish.

« Reply #1 on: 11 26, 14, 06:25:57:PM » Reply

If the Grand Jury had indicted Wilson.  Wilson goes to trial.  The trial last three weeks.  The jurors deliberate for a day and a half.  The 12 Jurors hand down a NOT GUILTY verdict.  Do you think the people who are rioting now would NOT riot then...

Baretta19

« Reply #2 on: 11 26, 14, 08:00:18:PM » Reply

that even if the evidence was insufficient to indict Officer Darren Wilson, justice would have been better served if the grand jury had indicted anyway. That way, the reasoning goes, we could have had a public trial in the light of day where everyone could have seen that the case was insufficient.

The end result would be the same, riots, The fun part is still coming, trumped up civil rights charges, more riots.
Truman62

MAGA Policies bring Misery and Death to America!

« Reply #3 on: 11 26, 14, 11:41:25:PM » Reply

Ironically we will NEVER know the truth for sure, because Michael Brown, will NEVER tell his side of the story.
JigSaw-II
I know you know what I think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

A goal without a plan, is just a wish.

« Reply #4 on: 11 26, 14, 11:51:22:PM » Reply

(( because Michael Brown, will NEVER tell his side of the story. ))

Yuppp~~ Just like Trayvon Martin will never get the chance to tell his side of the story...
John Adams
Before a free people can be oppressed they must first be idealogically disarmed....

Repeal the 17th Amendment, No direct elections

« Reply #5 on: 11 27, 14, 06:16:28:AM » Reply

What is Michael Browns side of the story, does it include the following;

That he strong arm robbed a convenience store....

That he ignored a Police officers instructions to walk on the side walk and not in the middle of the street....

That he physically assaulted a Police officer....

That he attempted to take the Police officers service revolver...

That he attempted to run form the Police when asked to stop...

That he turned and intended to rush the Police officer threatening his life....

What is his story the duncedick.....
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Does the Fifth Amendment Grand-Jury Protection Still Matter?
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory