Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 20, 24, 09:10:42:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2660982 Posts in 298645 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: New research reveals what's causing sea level to rise 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 Print
Author Topic: New research reveals what's causing sea level to rise  (Read 81 times)
wvit1001

« on: 10 31, 14, 01:03:51:PM » Reply

The researchers recognised that changes to sea levels are mainly caused by thermal expansion of ocean waters as they heat, changes to the saltiness of water, and an increase in ocean waters as ice melts and flows into the sea.

The total annual sea level rise is about 3mm per year – the question is, how much of that is from expansion and how much is from melting?

They conclude that increased water in the oceans is causing between 1.5–1.8 mm per year of sea level rise, depending, in part, on which years are under consideration.

there is so much ice in Greenland and Antarctica that is melting and flowing into the ocean, the mass of these two regions is being reduced; therefore, the pull of gravity toward Greenland and Antarctica is changing. As a result, we expect water levels near Greenland and Antarctica may actually fall as those ice sheets melt.

But, ocean levels elsewhere, particularly UScoastlines, will rise more than average because of this same effect. I have a paper in press with Ted Scambos on this very topic that should be published in a few weeks.

Another reason sea level rise isn’t uniform is that there are local changes to heat and salt which can increase or decrease water density in certain regions, causing local changes to sea level. A third reason is that changes to wind patterns can slosh water around, causing it to build up in one area, fall in another.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2014/oct/30/new-research-quantifies-sea-level-rise

keno

« Reply #1 on: 10 31, 14, 01:17:04:PM » Reply

Looks like you better relocate inland a few miles, wvit.
wvit1001

« Reply #2 on: 10 31, 14, 01:20:53:PM » Reply

I'm more than a few miles inland but everyone will see the effects as ports are flooded, huge cities like Miami and NYC are displaced, etc.  Most all the people of the world live within a zone along the oceans.
jst-the-fax
Evil does not exist within a gun. It exists in the minds and hearts of those who pull the trigger for evil purposes.---Laus Deo
Contributor

http://purebredcatrescue.org/

« Reply #3 on: 10 31, 14, 01:22:28:PM » Reply

wvit,

Take note of the above chart and explain the steep increase in ocean temps from approximately 1915 to 1945, then a precipitous drop for approximately two years...then flat until approximately late 1990's.  But take note the 1990-present uptick is nowhere near the increase of the 1915-1945 period. 
wvit1001

« Reply #4 on: 10 31, 14, 01:25:14:PM » Reply

where did you get the chart from blammey and what's it based on?  you're cut and paste isn't very complete without a link.
Byteryder
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ante omnia armari

« Reply #5 on: 10 31, 14, 01:32:45:PM » Reply

The loss of our coastal Megacesspools will do the country good.
jst-the-fax
Evil does not exist within a gun. It exists in the minds and hearts of those who pull the trigger for evil purposes.---Laus Deo
Contributor

« Reply #6 on: 10 31, 14, 01:36:43:PM » Reply

wvit,

So you cannot answer the question.  BTW...I got the link from some backwoods place called the EPA

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/indicators/oceans/sea-surface-temp.html

Eagerly awaiting your answer to my question on long term Ocean temperatures... ??
keno

« Reply #7 on: 10 31, 14, 02:43:35:PM » Reply

I'm more than a few miles inland but everyone will see the effects as ports are flooded, huge cities like Miami and NYC are displaced, etc.  Most all the people of the world live within a zone along the oceans.

But you always told me that nobody is claiming a catastrophe is headed our way. You are a scare monger.
wvit1001

« Reply #8 on: 10 31, 14, 02:50:05:PM » Reply

I'm not sure what you're asking faxy but the trend for ocean temperatures is up for the last century.
wvit1001

« Reply #9 on: 10 31, 14, 02:51:13:PM » Reply

• Sea surface temperatures have been higher during the past three decades than at any other time since reliable observations began in 1880 (see Figure 1).
jst-the-fax
Contributor

« Reply #10 on: 10 31, 14, 03:26:45:PM » Reply

wvit,

What don't you understand?

Lets find out if anyone else doesn't understand the question I poised to you regarding the spike and fall in ocean temps in the 40's

Keno do you understand?

Byteryder do you understand?
wvit1001

« Reply #11 on: 10 31, 14, 03:40:24:PM » Reply

faxy you seem to believe for some reason that the warming will be a steady and constant rise in temperatures which isn't at all true.  I'm not sure where you got this idea but you must have just made it up. 

Over the last century the trend has been that our temperatures have been steadily warming.  You can plainly see that from the graph you posted.
Pages: 1 2 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: New research reveals what's causing sea level to rise
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory