Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 27, 24, 07:01:12:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2663377 Posts in 298871 Topics by 307 Members
Latest Member: Carmelarom
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Scott Walker ssays, "Let them eat Cake!" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2  Print
Author Topic: Scott Walker ssays, "Let them eat Cake!"  (Read 90 times)
darkflower

« Reply #12 on: 10 26, 14, 09:43:27:AM » Reply

Raising the min wage has been proven to help everybody everywhere it is tried. People are better off everywhere that has higher min wage than they are where there is lower min wage.
stretch351c
Contributor

That which does not kill me, had better run

« Reply #13 on: 10 26, 14, 10:11:32:AM » Reply

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreydorfman/2014/05/22/people-support-raising-the-minimum-wage-until-told-the-costs/

Except that it doesn't
darkflower

« Reply #14 on: 10 26, 14, 10:16:56:AM » Reply

Real world facts contradict those claims. You can claim it destroys jobs but that is bs.

Places with higher min wages are better off, places with low min wages suck. Fact.
stretch351c
Contributor

« Reply #15 on: 10 26, 14, 10:34:20:AM » Reply

No, it's Leftist fiction.

http://www.moneynews.com/NealAsbury/minimum-wage-increase-unemployment-middle-class/2013/03/14/id/494620/
Try educating yourself.
stretch351c
Contributor

« Reply #16 on: 10 26, 14, 10:35:46:AM » Reply

The president made the case during his most recent State of the Union address that the way to prosperity was to raise the federal minimum wage to $9 an hour by 2015, from $7.25, where it has been since 2009. The rationale is that raising the minimum wage would help the middle class and businesses alike.

If that were the case, how do we explain the fact that since the federal minimum wage was instituted in 1938, it has been raised 22 times? If it did what it was supposed to do, there would be no reason to adjust it.

The Cato Institute, while analyzing the findings of economic theory and empirical research regarding the minimum wage over the past 70 years, discovered that minimum wage increases tend to reduce employment. The higher the minimum wage relative to competitive-market wage levels, the greater the employment loss that occurs.

In fact, the Department of Labor's own assessment of the first 25-cent minimum wage in 1938 found that it resulted in job losses for 30,000 to 50,000 workers, or 10 to 13 percent of the 300,000 covered workers who previously earned below the new wage floor.

In another part of its study, the Cato Institute found that “only 20.8 percent of all minimum wage workers are family heads or spouses working full time, 30.8 percent were children and 32.2 percent are young Americans enrolled in school. The popular belief that minimum wage workers are poor adults (25 years old or older), working full time and trying to raise a family is largely untrue. Just 4.7 percent match that description. Indeed, many minimum wage workers live in families with incomes well above the poverty level.”

“While minimum wages ostensibly aim to improve the economic well-being of the working poor, the dis-employment effects of minimum wages have been found to fall disproportionately on the least-skilled and on the most-disadvantaged individuals, including the disabled, youth, lower-skilled workers, immigrants and ethnic minorities.”

stretch351c
Contributor

« Reply #17 on: 10 26, 14, 10:43:19:AM » Reply

A 1978 article in the American Economic Review reported that 90 percent of surveyed economists believe the minimum wage increases unemployment for low-skilled workers. A similar 1992 survey found that 79 percent of economists believed a minimum wage increases unemployment for low-skilled workers.

Economists at Cornell and American Universities have estimated that the minimum wage hike proposed by the president “would eliminate at least 467,000 jobs, and would not reduce poverty, as a majority of beneficiaries live in households with incomes about the poverty level.”

Take, for instance, what would happen to unskilled African American teenagers aged 16 to 19 years old already experiencing an unemployment rate of a staggering 37.8 percent. The unemployment rate for unskilled white teenagers is at 20.8 percent.

If the minimum wage rate goes to $9.00 an hour, these would be the first workers to be let go.

In an interview with Fox Business Network, David French, senior vice president for government relations at the National Retail Federation, said, "A minimum wage hike right now would be one more factor driving up costs for employers and creating headwinds for job creation, especially among the small businesses that create most of our nation's new jobs."

And that’s the crux of the alternative to raising the minimum wage. As I’ve written many times, the real solution to helping create more jobs is to let small companies — our job creators — run their companies without government interference. Let the market determine what a good hourly rate should be. Let the market provide affordable loans so companies can hire and buy products to run their businesses — creating more jobs. I’m talking about manufacturing jobs — jobs that pay good wages and add value to the economy.

darkflower

« Reply #18 on: 10 26, 14, 10:56:27:AM » Reply

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0104719.html

Why don't you try to educate yourself? Unemployment has gone up and down a lot since 1920. But if min wage were such a job killer, then gee, 22 hikes should have killed a whole lotta jobs and created a skyrocketing unemployment over the decades, not a relatively stable one.

And try looking at a few different countries. Higher min wage does not cause your predicted job destruction. Actual real world data proves you are wrong. So does common sense. You pay people more, they spend more, that creates more growth and more demand and more jobs and everyone benefits. That is common sense, and more importantly it is proven by the actual real world. Unlike your claims which are nothing but speculation offered by those with an agenda to keep wages low.
stretch351c
Contributor

« Reply #19 on: 10 26, 14, 11:20:00:AM » Reply

I didn't realize that the BOL, which the facts come from, had an agenda.
http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/MinimumWages.html
Pages: 1 2  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Scott Walker ssays, "Let them eat Cake!"
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory