Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 11:51:57:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653438 Posts in 297922 Topics by 308 Members
Latest Member: JerryEcold
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Your chances of dying from gun violence 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Your chances of dying from gun violence  (Read 48 times)
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« on: 10 01, 14, 01:25:20:AM » Reply

So just how likely are you to be killed by a gun in the United States? The Economist has put together an interesting graphic that demonstrates your chances of getting killed by an array of things, including guns, heart disease, fire and more.

According to the Economist’s chart, your chances of dying as a result of “assault by firearm” is about 1 in 25,000. Americans also have a 1 in 514,147 chance of being killed by “firearms discharge. While still considered one of the leading causes of death in the U.S., the data certainly is at odds with the mainstream media narrative that all guns are simply mass killing machines.

The data from America’s National Safety Council suggests you are more likely to die from “intentional self harm,” an accidental injury or heart disease.

You are more likely to be killed by a gun than “walking,” choking or falling down the stairs. You are least likely to be killed by an asteroid impact (74,817,414 to 1), fireworks (50,729,141 to 1) or a bee sting (25,364,571 to 1).

Check out the graphic below (Click chart to see more):

How Likely Are You to Die from Gun Violence? This Interesting Chart Puts It in Perspective
(The Economist)

Now, we also know that twice as many people are killed by “hands and feet” than semi-automatic rifles, which President Barack Obama and Democrats are looking to ban. There are also nearly five times more murders by knife than murders by so-called “assault weapons.”

This graph puts it in perspective, and calls into question how effective an “assault weapons” ban would actually be.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/15/how-likely-are-you-to-die-from-gun-violence-this-interesting-chart-puts-it-in-perspective/#
hoosier_daddy
Don't hate me because I am beautiful

how cool that chemtrail can change profiles

« Reply #1 on: 10 01, 14, 06:04:50:AM » Reply

i am sure the next time a mother and father lose their 17 year old son to some idiot with a gun they will be relieved to know that. 
Jim
When someone claims to have an Open Mind they are soon shocked, dismayed, and offended that there actually are other views.
Contributor

What would they do without Anecdotals or Snark

« Reply #2 on: 10 01, 14, 06:23:26:AM » Reply

i am sure the next time a mother and father lose their 17 year old son to some idiot with a gun they will be relieved to know that. 

What makes you think they'll be any happier losing a son to Lightning or a Heart Attack?
Are you for real?

hoosier_daddy

« Reply #3 on: 10 01, 14, 07:47:52:AM » Reply

did you know that if there is no gun around, nobody can be shot by a gun?  did you know in civilized countries like canada and japan and most of europe they realized this long ago and have sensible gun control and have about 1/5th the murder rate we have?  did you know there are 20 minors EACH DAY OF THE YEAR TREATED FOR GUNSHOT WOUNDS IN THIS GUN NUT COUNTRY?...and you are bringing up lightning and heart attacks?  how about one problem at a time, sports shoes?  not sure we can do all that much about lightning strikes, and heart attacks can be affected by healthier choices in lifestyle and the like, but we know for sure sensible gun control will save hundreds of lives a year and not really affect anyone or their right to protect themselves. 
Local5th

God is Great Beer is Good and People are Crazy

« Reply #4 on: 10 01, 14, 09:00:12:AM » Reply

did you know that if there is no gun around, nobody can be shot by a gun?

It won't stop murder or accidental deaths ho boy. Therein lies the problem.
hoosier_daddy

« Reply #5 on: 10 01, 14, 09:59:00:AM » Reply

i agree...but we can do what we can to LIMIT gun deaths.  are we all that different from canada or japan or europe?  why do we want to have 5 times more gun related deaths?
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #6 on: 10 01, 14, 09:59:21:AM » Reply

This graph puts it in perspective, and calls into question how effective an “assault weapons” ban would actually be.

Au contraire, it would be 100% effective at infringing on everyone's individual right to arms.  And THAT is the genuine goal.  Never lose sight of it.
Local5th

God is Great Beer is Good and People are Crazy

« Reply #7 on: 10 01, 14, 10:14:27:AM » Reply

but we can do what we can to LIMIT gun deaths

Well, we initiate a trade back where the fed provides an AR15 or AK for each pistol turned in. That would save lives because they kill fewer people than clubs/fists.

But, that isn't your goal is it?
sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« Reply #8 on: 10 01, 14, 10:34:07:AM » Reply

All unintentional injury deaths

•Number of deaths: 126,438
•Deaths per 100,000 population: 40.6
•Cause of death rank: 5

Unintentional fall deaths
•Number of deaths: 27,483
•Deaths per 100,000 population: 8.8

Motor vehicle traffic deaths
•Number of deaths: 33,783
•Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.8

Unintentional poisoning deaths
•Number of deaths: 36,280
•Deaths per 100,000 population: 11.6

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/accidental-injury.htm

The risk of a gun death is very low...
chuck_curtis
Contributor

Let's go Brandon!

« Reply #9 on: 10 01, 14, 04:00:46:PM » Reply

The risk of a gun death is very low...

That's the important point.  As a matter of fact, it's extraordinarily low.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Your chances of dying from gun violence
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory