Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
04 19, 24, 03:54:03:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2660751 Posts in 298618 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Applying the Code Would Disadvantage the Democratic Cause 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: Applying the Code Would Disadvantage the Democratic Cause  (Read 60 times)
keno

« on: 09 18, 14, 07:57:41:PM » Reply

Kansas Supreme Court: Ignore Kansas' Election Code, If Applying the Code Would Disadvantage the Democratic Cause—Ace
As you will remember, the Democrats urged Chad Taylor to drop out of the senatorial race because, being a Democrat, he was doomed to lose. An independent on the ballot had a better chance to defeat incumbent Republican Pat Roberts, and the Democrats wanted all anti-Roberts votes to flow to one candidate.
So Taylor dropped out of the race, notifying the Secretary of State just an hour or so before the deadline.
However, the code says that a candidate cannot effect a withdrawal at this late stage unless he is "unable" to perform the duties of office if elected.
Taylor wasn't so "unable" to perform his duties -- he was just unlikely to win.
Election codes are usually interpreted strictly -- unless a Democrat needs them interpreted loosely.
And thus, a new Torricelli Maneuver, assisted by the judiciary, again:
 Kansas must remove the name of the Democratic candidate against Republican Sen. Pat Roberts from the ballot, the state Supreme Court declared Thursday, in a unanimous ruling that could influence the fight for control of the U.S. Senate.
The court's decision leaves Democrats without a candidate, potentially making it easier for independent candidate Greg Orman to defeat the three-term incumbent. Republicans have counted on Roberts winning re-election in GOP-leaning Kansas as they seek to recapture a Senate majority.

So this one will be harder.
"Pursuant to:" The court based its decision on a strange construction of those words.
 t all came down to the meaning of “pursuant to.”
In his brief letter to the secretary of state, Taylor requested his name be withdrawn "pursuant to K.S.A. 25-306b(b)" -- the state law requiring one to be incapable of serving to be removed from the ballot. Citing the Black’s Law Dictionary definition of the phrase as "in compliance with; in accordance with," the court ruled Taylor in his letter "effectively declares he is incapable of fulfilling the duties of office if elected."

So even though he did not actually declare his inability to perform, as required by the law, and even though he obviously is not unable to perform (this is simply a tactical maneuver), he said he was withdrawing "pursuant to" the law, and the court will fill in the words for him and Deem and Pass him as having said he could not perform his duties.
hoosier_daddy
Don't hate me because I am beautiful

how cool that chemtrail can change profiles

« Reply #1 on: 09 18, 14, 08:00:03:PM » Reply

weird, unconstitutional law.  if it really is one.  how can it be constitutional to not allow someone to NOT run for office, stupid fuck?
wvit1001

« Reply #2 on: 09 18, 14, 08:21:19:PM » Reply

Kansas law says party nominees can have their names removed from the ballot if they declare that they'll be incapable of fulfilling the duties of the offices they seek. Taylor's letter said that he was leaving the race "pursuant to" the relevant law but did not say why, and he's never publicly given a reason for dropping out.

"We conclude the plain meaning of 'pursuant to (the law)' contained in Taylor's letter effectively declares he is incapable of fulfilling the duties of office if elected," the justices said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/18/kansas-senate-race-state-supreme-court-orders-democrat-chad-taylor-removed-from/

he declared that he was incapable of fulfilling the duties of his office didn't he?  He sent them a letter saying that.  That's all the law says he has to do, it doesn't say anything about him owing anyone an explanation of why.
jst-the-fax
Evil does not exist within a gun. It exists in the minds and hearts of those who pull the trigger for evil purposes.---Laus Deo
Contributor

http://purebredcatrescue.org/

« Reply #3 on: 09 18, 14, 08:37:11:PM » Reply

wvit,

you neocoms are a funny bunch...when you know you can't win fairly...you have to concoct a scheme to win using underhanded means. 
Byteryder
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ante omnia armari

« Reply #4 on: 09 18, 14, 09:50:43:PM » Reply

Games. Political games.  That is all we have left of what was once a functional Republic.
hoosier_daddy

« Reply #5 on: 09 18, 14, 11:15:19:PM » Reply

wah fucking wah.  somebody dropping out of a race is a crisis.  if you are a moron. 
Dardmex

« Reply #6 on: 09 19, 14, 12:23:04:AM » Reply

hoosier daddy & wvit1001 --- Adhering to the U.S. Constitution is for suckers... and Republicans!  We do what we WANT!

http://www.dailykos.com  ...............  http://www.MoveOn.org
hoosier_daddy

« Reply #7 on: 09 19, 14, 05:31:50:AM » Reply

the constitution?  dropping out of a race if you want?  go fuck yourself, moron. 
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Applying the Code Would Disadvantage the Democratic Cause
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory