Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 10:21:15:PM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653660 Posts in 297945 Topics by 306 Members
Latest Member: chachamukhtar
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Global Warming Saves Civilization 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 Print
Author Topic: Global Warming Saves Civilization  (Read 53 times)
sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« on: 09 18, 14, 03:41:31:PM » Reply

New York Times Headline: ‘Global Warming Saves Civilization’

If it weren't for coal and cars, how cold would we be?

The top graph shows CO2 concentration in the atmosphere; the bottom one shows average temperature departure from the 1950 value. Two observations are readily apparent:

• For the last 400,000 years at least, "normal" = "COLD!"
  • The warm periods are but brief interludes between ice ages. Wild temperature fluctuations were common before any possible impact of human civilizations. The anomaly is the stability of the moderate temperatures during the Holocene, the last 12,000 years (indicated by my red arrow), when warm weather fostered the development of human agriculture, cultures and civilization.
Consider what a global ice age would mean. Cincinnati, OH and points north would be under a glacier hundreds of feet thick (not necessarily a bad thing, in the mind of some readers and SEC football fans). Agriculture would be impossible in North America. The planet could sustain a tiny fraction of its current population.

Even with a cooling of a couple of degrees Celsius, crop yields and growing seasons would shift dramatically for the worse. It would be increasingly difficult to feed the planet.

Given the choice between Global Warming and Global Cooling, give me Warming any day.

Here’s an interesting question for the Climate Change community: What would today’s global temperature be absent the man-made CO2 input since the Industrial Revolution?

Cross-posted at stevemaley.com.

Earth Could Plunge into Sudden Ice Age

Live Science - December 2, 2009
littleeye
Honored Member

« Reply #1 on: 09 18, 14, 03:49:41:PM » Reply

It is an interesting premise. Homo sapiens create an environment in which they will thrive. "I made fire"
sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« Reply #2 on: 09 18, 14, 03:54:14:PM » Reply

Yup, global cooling has been the norm and it sucks for human survival.
Dan
Contributor

JW2 is a homosexual

« Reply #3 on: 09 18, 14, 04:55:05:PM » Reply

It is undeniable that life on Earth thrives during warmer periods and struggles during colder periods.

Why on Earth libs want to make the planet colder is beyond me.
wvit1001

« Reply #4 on: 09 18, 14, 05:05:49:PM » Reply

let's take a look at the actual report that sweaty's graph was taken from and not just rely on made up crap from one of sweaty's non scientific type goofballs shall we.  -

The recent completion of drilling at Vostok station in East Antarctica has allowed the extension of the ice record of atmospheric composition and climate to the past four glacial–interglacial cycles. The succession of changes through each climate cycle and termination was similar, and atmospheric and climate properties oscillated between stable bounds. Interglacial periods differed in temporal evolution and duration. Atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide and methane correlate well with Antarctic air-temperature throughout the record. Present-day atmospheric burdens of these two important greenhouse gases seem to have been unprecedented during the past 420,000 years.

Glacial periods in Antarctica are characterized by much colder temperatures,reduced precipitation and more vigorous large-scale atmospheric circulation. There is a close correlation between Antarctic temperature and atmospheric concentrations of CO
2 and CH4 (refs 5, 9). This discovery suggests that greenhouse gases are important as
amplifiers of the initial orbital forcing and may have significantly contributed to the glacial–interglacial changes
The Vostok ice cores were also used to infer an empirical estimate of the sensitivity of global climate to future anthropogenic increases of greenhousegas concentrations[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT] [/SIZE]
Our records reveal both similarities and differences between the successive interglacial periods. They suggest the lead of Antarctic air temperature, and of atmospheric greenhousegas concentrations, with respect to global ice volume and Greenland air-temperature changes during glacial terminations.
Finally, CO
2 and CH4 concentrations are strongly correlated with Antarctic temperatures; this is because, overall, our results support the idea that greenhouse gases have contributed significantly to the glacial–interglacial change. This correlation, together with the uniquely elevated concentrations of these gases today, is of relevance with respect to the continuing debate on the future of Earth’s climate.[/FONT][/SIZE] [/FONT]
Analyses of polar ice cores have added immensely to our knowledge of the mechanisms that govern global climate change.  Not least, the results of these analyses provide
tests for climate models intended to predict possible future responses to increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

wvit1001

« Reply #5 on: 09 18, 14, 05:09:37:PM » Reply

I read through that report sweaty and nowhere in it did I see anything resembling you and your stories twisting of the data.

Why do you suppose that is?

And who is it that published the story you are referencing in your posts?  All I can find is some blog with someone using the name of a George Clooney TV character from the old TV show ER.
littleeye
Honored Member

« Reply #6 on: 09 18, 14, 05:16:10:PM » Reply

Neanderthal thrived in cold environs, but most likely died off when warming occurred. This must mean that liberal tree huggers still carry the Neanderthal gene.
sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« Reply #7 on: 09 18, 14, 05:17:34:PM » Reply

daycreek.com?   That has nothing to do with my post, wvit.    Try nature.com and the authors names are on the bottom of the graphs I posted.   

Daycreek.com is owned and operated by Alan and Jo Stankevitz.
wvit1001

« Reply #8 on: 09 18, 14, 05:22:58:PM » Reply

I see the names, that's where I got the pdf of the actual study. 

You didn't get it or any of the stuff you posted from the actual study though. 

The site I posted has a pdf of the actual study of the ice cores if you care to read it.

Where was it that you copied your wild ass story from sweaty, do you have a link?
sweetwater5s9
Contributor

« Reply #9 on: 09 18, 14, 05:23:04:PM » Reply

daycreek.com is wvit's science.  From their site:

Daycreek.com is a web site devoted to our cordwood building adventure and living a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Try nature.com, wvit and the authors names are on the bottom of the graphs I posted. 
wvit1001

« Reply #10 on: 09 18, 14, 05:24:09:PM » Reply

yeah, they have a pdf of the actual study sweaty, you should read it for yourself.

where did you get the stupid crap you posted?  are you ashamed to supply a link?
wvit1001

« Reply #11 on: 09 18, 14, 05:30:44:PM » Reply

who is this Steve Maley guy sweaty and what are his claims to fame other than writting bullshit Red State blog posts?
Pages: 1 2 Print 
 |  All Boards  |  Current Events  |  Topic: Global Warming Saves Civilization
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About