Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
03 28, 24, 04:39:52:AM

Login with username and password

Biden Does NOT need a BILL to close the border
He only needs a PEN. Thats all he needed to open it.
Thats all he needed to close it. Thats all Trump needed.
Maybe this is just Proof Trump is better than Biden.

Search:     Advanced search
2653360 Posts in 297918 Topics by 308 Members
Latest Member: JerryEcold
* Website Home Help Login Register
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: story on how they are moving the turtle eggs. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1  Print
Author Topic: story on how they are moving the turtle eggs.  (Read 465 times)
Griobhtha
Fear less, Hope more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less ,say more; Hate less, love more; And all good things are yours. Swedish proverb
Honored Member

« on: 07 09, 10, 03:02:56:PM » Reply

By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer   
Brian Skoloff, Associated Press Writer
    –  1 hr 16 mins ago
<!-- end .byline -->         
PORTST. JOE, Fla. – Biologist Lorna Patrick dug gingerly into the beachFriday, gently brushing away sand to reveal dozens of leathery,golfball-sized loggerhead sea turtle eggs.

Patrick,of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, carefully plucked the eggs fromthe foot-deep hole and placed them one-by-one in a cooler layered withmoist sand from the nest, the first step in a sweeping andunprecedented turtle egg evacuation to save thousands of threatenedhatchlings from certain death in the oiled Gulf of Mexico.

Afterabout 90 minutes of parting the sand with her fingers like anarchaeological dig, 107 eggs were placed in two coolers and loaded ontoa FedEx temperature-controlled truck. They are being transported to awarehouse at Florida's Kennedy Space Center where they will incubateand, hopefully, hatch before being released into the Atlantic Ocean.

Theeffort began in earnest along Florida's Panhandle, with two loggerheadnests excavated. Up to 800 more nests across Alabama and Floridabeaches will be dug up in the coming months in an attempt to move some70,000 eggs to safety.

Scientists fear that ifleft alone, the hatchlings would emerge and swim into the oil, wheremost would likely die, killing off a generation of an already imperiledspecies.

"This is a giant experiment," saidJeff Trindahl, director of the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation,which helped organize the plan.

Trindahl acknowledged many of the hatchlings may die from the stress of being moved, but he said there was no other option.
nannat6

« Reply #1 on: 07 09, 10, 03:05:00:PM » Reply

I saw that on the news the other night........I really hope it works........
takncarabizniz
DEFLECTION IS THE WEAPON OF COWARDICE !
Contributor

~Well-behaved women seldom make history~

« Reply #2 on: 07 09, 10, 03:27:16:PM » Reply

I wish them much good luck.  I have heard captive breeding of turtles is rather rare...and movement of the clutches is risky...but then again, doing nothing is as well.
Pages: 1  Print 
 |  General Discussion (Anxiety Free Zone)  |  Daily Life  |  Topic: story on how they are moving the turtle eggs.
Jump to:  

AesopsRetreat Links

AesopsRetreat
YouTube Channel

Rules For Radicals.

2nd Amendment Source

5 minute Education

Join Me at KIVA
My Kiva Stats

Truth About
Slaves and Indians

r/K Theory